Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying new digital camera

Buying new digital camera

Whisky-dave

> >So, I guess that is where I developed a prejudice against the AA

> >rechargeable batteries.

> I understand staying in your comfort zone, and have no desire to talk
>
> you into AAs. I suggest only that you don't let this factor be a
>
> deal-breaker.

I'd say it depends on what you're likiley to be shooting.
I ran down 4 recharble batteries while shooting about 30mins of video with a fuji-finepix HS-10. I didn't even have it on 60FPS but I did use HD mode video.

While having a camera that can take AAs is handy they seem to be a little bulkier. I wouldn;t buy a camera because it had AAs as an option.

If you're in a forest or out somewhere chances are there might not be a shop to buy batteries of any sort.
I'd suggest using a post-it note stuck to the front door reminding you to pack spare batteries or extra AAs depending on camera or as I do the night before send put a note on my bed which says "Charge batteries before tomorrow !"

I've veven been know to send myself an email.

> I am normally a DSLR user, but keep a point-and-shoot in my center
>
> console at all times for those occasions where I need to make a very
>
> quick grab shot or am without my DSLR. I can't remember when I used
>
> it last, but I checked before posting this and the battery indicator
>
> is at 100% (rechargeables). That's keeping a camera in a hot car in
>
> Florida weather.

That sounds good but I'd try a few shots just in case it a temperature thing giving a false indication.

> My grandson (8 years-old) made the Babe Ruth League All-Star team
>
> after the regular season. They played in a town 2 hours from here in
>
> the state championship qualification round. One of the mothers
>
> brought her new Nikon DSLR to the game, but left her battery in the
>
> charger at home.

See a note on the front door

> My spare Nikon batteries didn't fit her camera, so I
>
> loaned her my second body and she used her own SD card.

It does seem that camara manufactures like to change batteries types & sizes.

> If she owned a point-and-shoot using rechargeable AAs, and left the
>
> batteries at home in the charger, she could have stopped in any store
>
> and purchased regular AAs.

If such a store was about and open of course.

nospam

In article <kqs6of$cb6$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jake29
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In the video, they talk about CMOS versus "??" (I couldn't understand what
> the presenter called the other option). They made it sound like CMOS may be
> better, but I don't know if it matters for what I need or want in a camera.

cmos and ccd are the two sensor technologies. cmos has some advantages
but you aren't going to notice much of a difference.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I am confused, though. The bigger store is always crowded with
> >> customers. All six clerks are usually busy with a customer. The
> >> high-end Canons and Nikons are being rung up all the time. The four
> >> aisles of camera bags don't seem dusty so it appears there's
> >> turn-over. All that lighting equipment, tripods and other accessories
> >> seem to move. Is it all smoke and mirrors?

> >ritz camera stores were often busy too and look what happened there.
> >
> >even best buy is having troubles. every time i've been in a best buy
> >there's always been a line at the registers, so how could they be in
> >such financial difficulty?

> Best Buy's problems stem from their inability to compete with online
> sales because their store prices are higher than some online outfits
> and the stores don't offer offsetting advantages to the buyer. Part
> of this is due to their staff not being considered helpful to
> customers.
>
> The camera store in my example does offer offsetting advantages: an
> experienced and knowledgeable sales staff and a comprehensive
> inventory of a wide range of camera equipment.

not as wide a selection as what's online, such as at b&h. they're
probably more expensive than b&h too.

i've had stores tell me to go to b&h because they don't have what i
need, rather than try to sell me something close but not exact. that's
a store i go back to.

stores need to offer more than online sellers if they wish to stay in
business. some do, some don't. the ones that don't are the ones that
end up closing.

> Best Buy is also so diversified in their product line that a downturn
> in one group of products can affect the numbers. They devote (at
> least in the store in my area) a large amount of floorspace to music
> and video, and that's a product line that is trending more and more to
> online purchases. The camera store's floorspace is devoted to only
> two markets: photography and hobbyists.

trending? you're behind the times. the itunes store is the #1 music
retailer and has been for quite some time.

the current trend are services such as pandora and spotify, and soon,
itunes radio.

> Best Buy's problems are also due to stockholder's expectations of
> return and growth. The privately-owned camera store needs to make no
> decisions based on outsiders.

it doesn't matter who makes the decisions, only that the decisions are
good ones. just because something is privately owned doesn't mean they
make good business decisions.

> Best Buy's problems are also attributable to their problems in their
> non-US stores. The overseas market is not responding as well as the
> domestic market.

best buy's problems are that it's not a particularly good store, has
higher prices than their own online store (and their in-store network
pulls up the higher store price, not cool), treats their customers with
contempt, has morons for sales people and it's not well managed.

> >could it be there's more to it than seeing cashiers ring up items? why
> >yes, it could.
> >
> >> They're losing sales of $100 point-and-shoots to the big box stores,
> >> and that must be where the money is. Right? They shouldn't be
> >> concentrating on $1,000 Gitzmo tripods when they could be selling a GE
> >> point-and-shoot for $49.00. Right? They shouldn't be following this
> >> DSLR fad thing, right?

> >people buy online now.

> Yes, they do. Also, people buy from brick and mortar stores. An
> unqualified statement like yours means nothing.

more and more people are buying on line because stores have higher
prices and not so great service.

a few clicks and the product shows up in a day or two. can't beat that.
amazon is even testing same day delivery in some markets.

> >do they offer anything beyond handing you a box? if not, it's soon to
> >be curtain time. if they do, then more power to them. the only way
> >stores will stay in business is to offer additional value over the
> >internet sellers.
> >
> >the way you described it, with leaving the batteries out from the
> >display cameras, is not a way to win customers. that's why i said they
> >won't last long.

> The behind-the-counter cameras are there without batteries. There are
> no on-counter cameras. When the customer is handed a display camera,
> the battery is added. Sometimes there is a delay because the needed
> batteries are in use by another clerk, but the potential buyer of a
> higher-end DSLR is not put off by this.

what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

anyway, those who are put off by that practice don't bother showing up
in the first place.

nospam

In article <kqs34h$1va$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jake29
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Although I have limited experience with this, that is the experience that I
> had in the past when I first bought digital cameras (before the two that I
> mentioned in my original post). My experience was that the rechargeable AA
> batteries lasted only a very short time before needing to be recharged,

depends on the camera and the batteries.

> and
> any batteries that I had fully charged were basically dead by the time I got
> around to trying to take a picture. At first, I thought the problem was the
> camera technology may have been such that the cameras used up way too much
> battery power. But, that didn't explain why the spare fully charged AA
> batteries that I kept separately in the camera case were dead when I got
> around to putting them in the camera.

nimh has a high self-discharge rate unless you get eneloops, which can
last a year or more with very little discharge.

> Meanwhile, I started to notice that
> my then little-kid niece and nephew who were using Kodak digital cameras
> could take picture after picture seemingly forever without the batteries
> going dead. That's when I switched to Kodak cameras which I discovered had
> with Li-Ion batteries.

li-on has a slower self-discharge rate than ordinary nimh aa.

> After I switched to cameras with the Li-Ion batteries, I noticed that when I
> charged them and didn't use them for a long time, and then went to use them,
> they were still charged and ready to use.

not a full charge, but fairly full. it does self-discharge.

> So, I guess that is where I developed a prejudice against the AA
> rechargeable batteries.

probably.

Jake29

Tony Cooper wrote:

> Point-and-shoots can be used for panoramas. It's software that
> creates a panorama using a point and shoot*, and Elements will do
> that. Elements would be worth having for other purposes. A tripod or
> monopod is almost essential for a panorama. A panorama is better than
> a wide angle shot with a point and shoot because the widest setting
> can (not will) produce distortion at the edges. Shoot the panorama
> images in portrait, not landscape.

Thanks. That's good info about the panorama option, and about shooting
panorama images in portrait rather than landscape. I had never tried
panorama options before but have seen my niece do that a few times for
photos at an ocean resort.

Whisky-dave

On Monday, 1 July 2013 16:20:52 UTC+1, Jake29 wrote:
> David Taylor wrote:
>
> > On 29/06/2013 21:04, Jake29 wrote:

> > []

> >> I like the plain flat version of digital cameras that I can just

> >> keep in my pocket; not the bigger size cameras that are out there. I am

> >> expecting the cost to be less that about $200. If it has the

> >> right battery type (rechargeable Li-Ion), a fairly high megapixel

> >> rating, and a fairly high optical zoom, that would be great.

> > Based on previous experience, I would recommend the Panasonic range,

> > such as:

> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...-DMC-ZS25-TZ35

> Thanks, I'll check that out too. It looks like it may be more expensive
>
> than the other options people here have suggested so far, but not by that
>
> much.
>

> I found this YouTube link about it:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPla9VKg2uQ .
>

> In the video, they talk about CMOS versus "??" (I couldn't understand what
>
> the presenter called the other option). They made it sound like CMOS may be
>
> better, but I don't know if it matters for what I need or want in a camera.

I don;t think you need to worry much about that.

http://digital-photography-school.co...os-better.html

Not saying what he says is true but it seems a reasonable post.

David Taylor

On 01/07/2013 15:48, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
> If she owned a point-and-shoot using rechargeable AAs, and left the
> batteries at home in the charger, she could have stopped in any store
> and purchased regular AAs.

I'm surprised that non of the "consumer rights" folk hasn't made a big
fuss about having standard Li-ion batteries, to avoid the need for each
manufacturer and every camera to have its own proprietary battery type....
--
Cheers,
David

J. Clarke

In article <kqs34h$1va$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Robert Coe wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:54:25 -0400, Tony Cooper
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I disagree with your preference about AA batteries, but it's your
> >> camera and your money. My in-the-car point-and-shoot (my regular
> >> camera is a Nikon DSLR) uses rechargeable AA batteries and shoots RAW
> >> and has manual settings. I like the idea that if I haven't used it
> >> for a while, and the batteries are flat, I can buy regular AA
> >> batteries at any store and use them. If my Nikon Li-Ion battery goes
> >> flat, I have to go home to charge it. (Well, *I* don't, but I have
> >> three batteries and always carry charged spares.)

> > Something I was reminded of the other day when I was charging my
> > batteries for a shoot: All my AAs (I keep about 50 in play) needed at
> > least some charging time, even if they hadn't been used since their
> > last charge. But three proprietary camera batteries that had been
> > sitting outside the camera showed full charge after less than 15
> > seconds on the charger. Pretty clearly, those batteries hold a charge
> > better than the AAs do.

> Although I have limited experience with this, that is the experience that I
> had in the past when I first bought digital cameras (before the two that I
> mentioned in my original post). My experience was that the rechargeable AA
> batteries lasted only a very short time before needing to be recharged, and
> any batteries that I had fully charged were basically dead by the time I got
> around to trying to take a picture. At first, I thought the problem was the
> camera technology may have been such that the cameras used up way too much
> battery power. But, that didn't explain why the spare fully charged AA
> batteries that I kept separately in the camera case were dead when I got
> around to putting them in the camera. Meanwhile, I started to notice that
> my then little-kid niece and nephew who were using Kodak digital cameras
> could take picture after picture seemingly forever without the batteries
> going dead. That's when I switched to Kodak cameras which I discovered had
> with Li-Ion batteries.
>
> After I switched to cameras with the Li-Ion batteries, I noticed that when I
> charged them and didn't use them for a long time, and then went to use them,
> they were still charged and ready to use.
>
> So, I guess that is where I developed a prejudice against the AA
> rechargeable batteries.

For what it's worth, the problem you describe is the one that low-self-
discharge NiMH batteries such as the Sanyo Eneloop were designed to
address, and to a significant extent they do.

David Taylor

On 01/07/2013 16:20, Jake29 wrote:
[]
> Thanks, I'll check that out too. It looks like it may be more expensive
> than the other options people here have suggested so far, but not by that
> much.
>
> I found this YouTube link about it:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPla9VKg2uQ .
>
> In the video, they talk about CMOS versus "??" (I couldn't understand what
> the presenter called the other option). They made it sound like CMOS may be
> better, but I don't know if it matters for what I need or want in a camera.

CMOS and CCD, but these days it doesn't really matter, as the
manufacturer will fit the best sensor for the camera (put simplistically).
--
Cheers,
David

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 11:26:55 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Best Buy is also so diversified in their product line that a downturn
>> in one group of products can affect the numbers. They devote (at
>> least in the store in my area) a large amount of floorspace to music
>> and video, and that's a product line that is trending more and more to
>> online purchases. The camera store's floorspace is devoted to only
>> two markets: photography and hobbyists.

>trending? you're behind the times. the itunes store is the #1 music
>retailer and has been for quite some time.

Trends are continuing movements. The trend from transportation
primarily by horse and carriage to automobile has pretty much ended,
but more recent changes continue as a trend.

>> >the way you described it, with leaving the batteries out from the
>> >display cameras, is not a way to win customers. that's why i said they
>> >won't last long.

>> The behind-the-counter cameras are there without batteries. There are
>> no on-counter cameras. When the customer is handed a display camera,
>> the battery is added. Sometimes there is a delay because the needed
>> batteries are in use by another clerk, but the potential buyer of a
>> higher-end DSLR is not put off by this.

>what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
>behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

The reason is not to prevent theft of batteries. The reason is to
devote just a few batteries to demonstration use and to be able to
keep those batteries fully-charged. Six demo cameras require six
batteries in use, but this store's system requires fewer than six and
they can be kept fully-charged. You pointed out in another post that
big box store display units often have flat batteries. The store
doesn't use a tether system, so the cameras have to be
battery-powered.

>anyway, those who are put off by that practice don't bother showing up
>in the first place.

What? If they don't show up in the first place, how would they know
about the practice? Great thinking there, nospam.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL