Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying new digital camera

Buying new digital camera

David Taylor

On 29/06/2013 21:04, Jake29 wrote:
[]
> I like the plain flat version of digital cameras that I can just keep in my
> pocket; not the bigger size cameras that are out there. I am expecting the
> cost to be less that about $200. If it has the right battery type
> (rechargeable Li-Ion), a fairly high megapixel rating, and a fairly high
> optical zoom, that would be great.

[]
> Thanks.

Based on previous experience, I would recommend the Panasonic range,
such as:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...-DMC-ZS25-TZ35

--
Cheers,
David

James Silverton

On 6/30/2013 3:29 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 29/06/2013 21:04, Jake29 wrote:
> []
>> I like the plain flat version of digital cameras that I can just keep
>> in my
>> pocket; not the bigger size cameras that are out there. I am
>> expecting the
>> cost to be less that about $200. If it has the right battery type
>> (rechargeable Li-Ion), a fairly high megapixel rating, and a fairly high
>> optical zoom, that would be great.

> []
>> Thanks.

> Based on previous experience, I would recommend the Panasonic range,
> such as:
>

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...-DMC-ZS25-TZ35

To me, the important thing about a point and shoot is that it has an
optical viewfinder for use in bright light.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

J. Clarke

In article <kqome0$3q5$(E-Mail Removed)>, david-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d says...

> On 29/06/2013 21:04, Jake29 wrote:
> []
> > I like the plain flat version of digital cameras that I can just keep in my
> > pocket; not the bigger size cameras that are out there. I am expecting the
> > cost to be less that about $200. If it has the right battery type
> > (rechargeable Li-Ion), a fairly high megapixel rating, and a fairly high
> > optical zoom, that would be great.

> []
> > Thanks.

> Based on previous experience, I would recommend the Panasonic range,
> such as:
>

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...-DMC-ZS25-TZ35

Panasonic was my initial thought too but they're anywhere from a bit to
a lot above his price range.

David Taylor

On 30/06/2013 13:15, James Silverton wrote:
[]
> To me, the important thing about a point and shoot is that it has an
> optical viewfinder for use in bright light.

Optical or EVF you put to the eye is nice, and I have EVF on my Sony
HX200V. If you have problems focussing close up, it can be helpful as
well. It does increase the cost and size though, and may otherwise
restrict your choice. The OP would be well advised to visit a camera
shop and see for himself.
--
Cheers,
David

David Taylor

On 30/06/2013 13:28, J. Clarke wrote:
[]
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...-DMC-ZS25-TZ35

> Panasonic was my initial thought too but they're anywhere from a bit to
> a lot above his price range.

Yes, the best often cost a little more, but as it appears to be for work
rather than home snapshots perhaps the extra is worth paying? There are
lower-cost, more limited models than the ones I mentioned in the
Panasonic range, and a second-hand item could be another way to reduce cost.
--
Cheers,
David

Robert Coe

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:54:25 -0400, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:04:52 -0400, "Jake29" <(E-Mail Removed)>
: wrote:
:
: >I lost the digital camera that I had and I need to buy a new one.
: > ...
: >
: >So, I am looking for suggestions of a new point-and-shoot digital camera. I
: >definitely don't want one that uses AA batteries (rechargeable or not) as
: >many of them seem to do these days -- I want one with a rechargeable Li-Ion
: >battery.
: > ...
:
: I disagree with your preference about AA batteries, but it's your
: camera and your money. My in-the-car point-and-shoot (my regular
: camera is a Nikon DSLR) uses rechargeable AA batteries and shoots RAW
: and has manual settings. I like the idea that if I haven't used it
: for a while, and the batteries are flat, I can buy regular AA
: batteries at any store and use them. If my Nikon Li-Ion battery goes
: flat, I have to go home to charge it. (Well, *I* don't, but I have
: three batteries and always carry charged spares.)

Something I was reminded of the other day when I was charging my batteries for
a shoot: All my AAs (I keep about 50 in play) needed at least some charging
time, even if they hadn't been used since their last charge. But three
proprietary camera batteries that had been sitting outside the camera showed
full charge after less than 15 seconds on the charger. Pretty clearly, those
batteries hold a charge better than the AAs do.

Bob

Wally

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:41:36 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Something I was reminded of the other day when I was charging my batteries for
>a shoot: All my AAs (I keep about 50 in play) needed at least some charging
>time, even if they hadn't been used since their last charge. But three
>proprietary camera batteries that had been sitting outside the camera showed
>full charge after less than 15 seconds on the charger. Pretty clearly, those
>batteries hold a charge better than the AAs do.

If they showed a full charge after 15 sec, then either they were still
fully charged, or they have deteriorated to the point they won't hold
a charge for long.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> : I disagree with your preference about AA batteries, but it's your
> : camera and your money. My in-the-car point-and-shoot (my regular
> : camera is a Nikon DSLR) uses rechargeable AA batteries and shoots RAW
> : and has manual settings. I like the idea that if I haven't used it
> : for a while, and the batteries are flat, I can buy regular AA
> : batteries at any store and use them. If my Nikon Li-Ion battery goes
> : flat, I have to go home to charge it. (Well, *I* don't, but I have
> : three batteries and always carry charged spares.)
>
> Something I was reminded of the other day when I was charging my batteries for
> a shoot: All my AAs (I keep about 50 in play) needed at least some charging
> time, even if they hadn't been used since their last charge. But three
> proprietary camera batteries that had been sitting outside the camera showed
> full charge after less than 15 seconds on the charger. Pretty clearly, those
> batteries hold a charge better than the AAs do.

try eneloops. their self-discharge is much, much slower than a typical
nimh aa.

also keep in mind that lithium ion batteries often show a full charge
even when they're not (usually 95% or higher) because overcharging them
can go boom. some chargers show full at even lower levels.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Even finding a camera store can be a problem. Orlando's a fairly big
> town, but there are only two camera stores in town, and one of them
> carries only high-end compact cameras. The larger store carries a
> wide selection, but their point and shoots are behind the counter and
> not connected to chargers or power supplies. They take the batteries
> out of all their display cameras (P&S and DSLR) and put them in only
> when demonstrating them. Sometimes you have to wait for a battery to
> be available if it's a proprietary battery because other clerks are
> using them.

sounds like two stores that are destined to be history.

> Also, this store is closed on Sunday, closed at 7:30 M-T, until 9 on
> Friday, and 6 on Saturday.

those hours aren't that unusual, but soon it will be closed every day.

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 23:05:52 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Even finding a camera store can be a problem. Orlando's a fairly big
>> town, but there are only two camera stores in town, and one of them
>> carries only high-end compact cameras. The larger store carries a
>> wide selection, but their point and shoots are behind the counter and
>> not connected to chargers or power supplies. They take the batteries
>> out of all their display cameras (P&S and DSLR) and put them in only
>> when demonstrating them. Sometimes you have to wait for a battery to
>> be available if it's a proprietary battery because other clerks are
>> using them.

>sounds like two stores that are destined to be history.
>
>> Also, this store is closed on Sunday, closed at 7:30 M-T, until 9 on
>> Friday, and 6 on Saturday.

>those hours aren't that unusual, but soon it will be closed every day.

Well, the larger store has been in business since 1954 and is the
largest camera store in Central Florida, maybe in a larger area. At
the camera counter, there are usually at least six experienced clerks
working whenever you go in there. The 15,000 square feet of space is
divided about half-and-half between photography equipment and hobby
items from model railroad trains to radio controlled model cars,
boats, and airplanes. They also do matting and framing.

The smaller store has been here since I moved to the area 35 years
ago, but I don't know how long they'd been in business by then. They
also operate a school of photography.

Both are active sponsors of the local camera clubs and routinely bring
in new camera products to show. Both have outlasted Ritz, Wolfe, and
several independent camera dealers who have all gone bye-bye.

While they both sell the lower tier point-and-shoots, both stores seem
to have let the big box stores go for that market. Both sell cameras
and accessories that are not available at the big box stores.

But, if - with your marketing savvy - if you say they are destined for
failure, then there's no choice but to acknowledge they are dead meat.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL