Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying new digital camera

Buying new digital camera

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Any business that doesn't value its customers ultimately gets what it
> >deserves.

> That's a pretty pat statement. It's true, but it doesn't say
> anything.

much like other statements you've made.

> The company neither gives the impression of valuing nor disrespecting
> the customer. It's the employees, and specifically the employees who
> deal with customers, that give the impression.

the employees represent the company.

> The fault in many large businesses is that upper management does value
> the customer and wants the customer treated right, but they are
> unaware of what goes on at the line level and make no effort to put
> any system in place to determine how their customers are treated.

then they don't value the customer all that much, otherwise they'd find
out what's going on.

> Some companies do, though. They hire "secret shoppers" to report back
> on how they're treated. They are pro-active in learning about their
> customer's experiences instead of depending on unsolicited reviews and
> complaint letters. Often, middle-management people block the top
> executives from hearing about problems. They feel if they pass along
> that complaint letter or phone call, that they will be the ones
> blamed.

those companies have problems.

> While I only watched it once, that television program "Undercover
> Boss" where the top guy in a company goes undercover to work in his
> own company showed how revealing it can be for a boss to see how his
> own company deals with customers.
>
> Periodically, it would be informative for a person like Hubert Joly
> (CEO of Best Buy) to go into his stores and act like a regular
> customer. I suspect some changes might be made.

maybe.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> In a big box store, the SD card would likely disappear the first day.

> >not if the security tether wraps around the card slot. or if there's
> >security tape over the door. or glue.

> How about welding?

it's a bit hard to weld plastic.

> As long as we're thinking about gluing the card
> slot closed (which means the demo unit can never be sold), let's go
> all out and propose something even more preposterous.

unlike your suggestion of welding, there is nothing preposterous about
what i suggested, especially since i've seen all three used.

> The security tether attaches at the bottom of the camera. Usually
> there's a holder that screws into the tripod screw opening. Looping
> that around the card slot and fixing it in place would be quite a
> trick.

not at all.

all that's needed is a small bracket that covers the card door (and
lens release if any) to block access. trivial to make, if it doesn't
exist already.

> I was wrong, by the way, to have suggested to Jake that he could flip
> open the battery door on a display model to see what type of battery
> was used. The tether connection blocks the battery door in most
> cases.

that information is easy to find, since replacement batteries are sold,
maybe even in the next aisle. or just look it up online.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Depends on the show. At a trade only show, the serious attendees are
> known in advance, and have appointments with the vendors, who let them
> play to their hearts content.

many trade shows are open to the public, such as photo plus in new
york, no appointment needed.

at shows such as that, lots of cameras are on display, fully
functional, and usually with the card slot secured in some way.

PeterN

On 7/3/2013 4:15 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Depends on the show. At a trade only show, the serious attendees are
>> known in advance, and have appointments with the vendors, who let them
>> play to their hearts content.

> many trade shows are open to the public, such as photo plus in new
> york, no appointment needed.
>
> at shows such as that, lots of cameras are on display, fully
> functional, and usually with the card slot secured in some way.

I used carefully chosen words. Serious purchasers will make appointments
with vendors.
I did not say they were necessary.

--
PeterN

J. Clarke

In article <2013070314231537709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2013-07-03 13:15:52 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> How about welding?

> > it's a bit hard to weld plastic.

> Not if you have the right tools and techniques for various plastic types.
> Methods vary from "Hot gas welding", "Heat sealing", "Hot Air welding",
> "HF welding", "Induction welding", "Injection welding", "Ultrasonic
> welding", and a whole bunch of other ways of joining two pieces of
> plastic.

Depends on the plastic though. Thermoplastics can be welded, thermosets
can't. Teflon and Kevlar for example don't melt at any temperature.

PeterN

On 7/3/2013 5:23 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-07-03 13:15:52 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> How about welding?

>> it's a bit hard to weld plastic.

> Not if you have the right tools and techniques for various plastic types.
> Methods vary from "Hot gas welding", "Heat sealing", "Hot Air welding",
> "HF welding", "Induction welding", "Injection welding", "Ultrasonic
> welding", and a whole bunch of other ways of joining two pieces of plastic.

His sarcasm meter was welded to zero.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:23:15 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-07-03 13:15:52 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> How about welding?

>> it's a bit hard to weld plastic.

>Not if you have the right tools and techniques for various plastic types.
>Methods vary from "Hot gas welding", "Heat sealing", "Hot Air welding",
>"HF welding", "Induction welding", "Injection welding", "Ultrasonic
>welding", and a whole bunch of other ways of joining two pieces of
>plastic.

JB Weld would work, but evidently nospam did not understand the nature
of the comment. There are some people who really need emoticons.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> it's a bit hard to weld plastic.

> >Not if you have the right tools and techniques for various plastic types.
> >Methods vary from "Hot gas welding", "Heat sealing", "Hot Air welding",
> >"HF welding", "Induction welding", "Injection welding", "Ultrasonic
> >welding", and a whole bunch of other ways of joining two pieces of
> >plastic.

> JB Weld would work,

jb weld is an epoxy, which means it's included in the already mentioned
glue category.

> but evidently nospam did not understand the nature
> of the comment. There are some people who really need emoticons.

there are some people who say stupid things and then try to wiggle out
of it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Depends on the show. At a trade only show, the serious attendees are
> >> known in advance, and have appointments with the vendors, who let them
> >> play to their hearts content.

> > many trade shows are open to the public, such as photo plus in new
> > york, no appointment needed.
> >
> > at shows such as that, lots of cameras are on display, fully
> > functional, and usually with the card slot secured in some way.

> I used carefully chosen words. Serious purchasers will make appointments
> with vendors.
> I did not say they were necessary.

weasel weasel.

if the show is open to the public, then the cameras must be secured so
that memory cards, lenses and anything else that could be removed does
not disappear.

whether 'serious attendees' meet with vendors is irrelevant.

Martin Brown

On 03/07/2013 18:50, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:36:13 -0400, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>> Reviews says very little. People generally write reviews when unhappy
>>> about a product, less so when happy about a product.

>> So why does the Canon 60D have 437 5-star reviews, 72 4-star reviews, 22
>> 3-star reviews, 11 2-star reviews, and 12 1-star reviews? Are you
>> saying that all those 5-star reviewers were "unhappy about the product"?

> I feel that user reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. While
> some people are conscientious about reporting fair information, a
> dissatisfied user is more apt to complete a review than a satisfied
> user. The satisfied user got what he wanted, and considers that the
> end of the transaction.

The main problem with online reviews is that it doesn't matter what the
reviewers think of a pair of binoculars or a camera if it doesn't fit
properly in *your* hands and feel right it will drive you crazy in use!

> I submit very few reviews of products I purchased. I guess I'm lazy
> in this respect. I *expect* the product to do what it's advertised to
> do.

I generally only submit reviews where I think the product has been
reviewed unfairly by a moron or clueless halfwit that has no idea how to
use the product or even what it is for. Take for example this excellent
Estwing geological hammer on Amazon which some survivalist nutter tried
to use as an ice axe and nearly fell off a mountain!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Estwing-E3-2.../dp/B0002JT0CS

I did the same for a review of the standard reference textbook for JPEG
encoding which had bad reviews from some people who do not understand
mathematics or descriptions of the algorithms (ie not the books fault).
I don't like the new garish shocking pink cover on the latest printing.

You can generally tell when reviews are bimodal with a mixture of 5*
from expert users and 1* from beginners and complete idiots. It is more
difficult when they span a range as for example do various monitors and
Android tablets of which many really are like the curate's egg.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown