Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > One keeper, and it's marginal

One keeper, and it's marginal

Tony Cooper

I went out with the camera today and shot 87 images. 85 never made it
to post-processing. Here's one of the two that did, but it's
marginal. Interesting, but not enough "pop".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zbb9caxpl...3-06-26-30.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zbb9caxpl...3-06-26-30.jpg

What did you do to it? Edge sharpening? It's a bit jarring to my eyes,
like a moire pattern. Was it slightly out of focus to begin with?

--
Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 07:41:05 +0200, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zbb9caxpl...3-06-26-30.jpg

>What did you do to it? Edge sharpening? It's a bit jarring to my eyes,
>like a moire pattern. Was it slightly out of focus to begin with?

The original was in sharp focus. The subject matter, in my opinion,
doesn't have enough punch to process straight-up. The lake was flat,
so the water didn't add anything. I tweaked it with some extra
sharpening to obtain the look it has.

It's a sow's ear that didn't make it to full silk purse status.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:27:02 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-06-26 21:34:11 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> I went out with the camera today and shot 87 images. 85 never made it
>> to post-processing. Here's one of the two that did, but it's
>> marginal. Interesting, but not enough "pop".
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zbb9caxpl...3-06-26-30.jpg

>I like the capture and the feel of the image with the B&W conversion.
>However, the sharpening in the foreground "ripples" seems to be too
>much and introduces some sharpening artifacts.
>
>Once more, I would probably have attacked the shot a little differently.

Haven't you already said this? And haven't I already replied?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 21:15:46 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-06-27 20:56:13 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:27:02 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> I like the capture and the feel of the image with the B&W conversion.
>>> However, the sharpening in the foreground "ripples" seems to be too
>>> much and introduces some sharpening artifacts.
>>>
>>> Once more, I would probably have attacked the shot a little differently.

>> Haven't you already said this? And haven't I already replied?

>Not for this pic.
>I said something slightly different for the "workshop & bright window"
>shot, and you replied to that.

Yeah, I remember now. And I replied that, yes, you *always* would
want to do something slightly different in post. So, I'll repeat that
it would be a sad day if all of us treated every image the same way.

The cool thing about Photoshop, or any other image processing
software, is that every user gets to manipulate an image to come out
the way they want it to come out.

Good thing we aren't surgeons doing heart transplants; each with our
own idea of what should go where.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

PeterN

On 6/27/2013 9:45 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 07:41:05 +0200, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zbb9caxpl...3-06-26-30.jpg

>> What did you do to it? Edge sharpening? It's a bit jarring to my eyes,
>> like a moire pattern. Was it slightly out of focus to begin with?

> The original was in sharp focus. The subject matter, in my opinion,
> doesn't have enough punch to process straight-up. The lake was flat,
> so the water didn't add anything. I tweaked it with some extra
> sharpening to obtain the look it has.
>
> It's a sow's ear that didn't make it to full silk purse status.

I agree. That is what I call a mood shot. From a composition standpoint,
too many reeds. One small clump would suffice, Also, I would have liked
a lot less contrast, and the water has no interesting pattern.

--
PeterN