Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: BW Landscape

Re: BW Landscape

peternew

On 6/25/2013 9:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-25 17:42:31 -0700, Dudley Hanks
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Ignoring things like the crooked horizon, etc, just wondering how
>> this works as a BW conversion...
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/BWLandscape.jpg
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dudley

> As a basic B&W conversion it is OK. However, it looks to me as if you
> probably just went grey scale, or did a desaturate. So, it has a
> lifeless feel to it.
> Here is a straightened version I worked with NIK Silver Efex Pro 2.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...estPic-SEw.jpg >

And here is my version. I was too lazy to straighten. i ran it through
NIK and then ddi a levels adjustment. I did not touch the sky.

<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

--
PeterN

philo

On 06/25/2013 09:36 PM, peternew wrote:
> On 6/25/2013 9:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2013-06-25 17:42:31 -0700, Dudley Hanks
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> Ignoring things like the crooked horizon, etc, just wondering how
>>> this works as a BW conversion...
>>>
>>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/BWLandscape.jpg
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dudley

>> As a basic B&W conversion it is OK. However, it looks to me as if you
>> probably just went grey scale, or did a desaturate. So, it has a
>> lifeless feel to it.
>> Here is a straightened version I worked with NIK Silver Efex Pro 2.
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...estPic-SEw.jpg >
>>

> And here is my version. I was too lazy to straighten. i ran it through
> NIK and then ddi a levels adjustment. I did not touch the sky.
>
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

I like the hi-contrast version

philo

On 06/25/2013 10:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-25 19:46:02 -0700, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> And here is my version. I was too lazy to straighten. i ran it through
>>> NIK and then ddi a levels adjustment. I did not touch the sky.
>>>
>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>
>>>

>> I like the hi-contrast version

> With my NIK conversion, I used a red filter to start with. Then I made
> various brightness/contrast/structure tweaks to taste.
> To finish I added a light sepia and a film preset for Panatomic X.
> Here is what it looked like in the NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 window.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_245.jpg >

That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
"artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.

peternew

On 6/26/2013 6:25 AM, philo wrote:
> On 06/25/2013 10:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> I like the hi-contrast version

>> With my NIK conversion, I used a red filter to start with. Then I made
>> various brightness/contrast/structure tweaks to taste.
>> To finish I added a light sepia and a film preset for Panatomic X.
>> Here is what it looked like in the NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 window.
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_245.jpg >
>>

> That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
> "artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.

I never do any artificial enhancement. //end Bullshit tag

--
PeterN

peternew

On 6/26/2013 8:31 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-26 05:20:09 -0700, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
>>> "artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.

>> I never do any artificial enhancement. //end Bullshit tag

> Choke, cough, splutter!!!
> I am making the assumption you were in full irony mode with that remark.
>
> Hell!! All of us do nothing but "artificial enhancement" from the
> moment we open an image file in your editing/adjustment software of
> choice, and say to yourself "what can I do to fix this shot"?

<G>
You missed my //end tag?

--
PeterN

philo

On 06/26/2013 07:20 AM, peternew wrote:
> On 6/26/2013 6:25 AM, philo wrote:

>>> With my NIK conversion, I used a red filter to start with. Then I made
>>> various brightness/contrast/structure tweaks to taste.
>>> To finish I added a light sepia and a film preset for Panatomic X.
>>> Here is what it looked like in the NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 window.
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_245.jpg >
>>>

>> That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
>> "artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.

> I never do any artificial enhancement. //end Bullshit tag

Maybe I redundantly repeated myself over and over again several times.

FWIW: I really like hi-contrast