Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > selective color cast

selective color cast

PeterN

Pencil?

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 6/28/2013 10:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-28 19:39:59 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

>>> I guess it's better to have a Mercedes, when you think you have a
>>> Ford, than the other way around.
>>> Lesson, try to find out before the shot, if I really want to know.

>> When I go to a Concours or any other car show I try to get a shot of
>> the entry card so I can get a reference. If I can't get that, I have
>> my trusty pen & pad. That lets me confirm ID and get some history.
>> In this case I got the ID on a 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB, of which only
>> 176 were built the three years of production, 1959, 1960, & 1961. Of
>> those only 36 were road cars the rest were dedicated racing machines.
>> This particular example ended up in this owner's hands for $5.6M,
>> making it the most valuable car I have ever had the privilege of
>> shooting.
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5803w.jpg >
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...NC5798-Efw.jpg >

> He got a bargain. I see that a nice red 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB sold at
> RM Auction in January for $8,140,000.

Now How many D800s can I get for that? (without lenses, of course)

--
PeterN

pensive hamster

On Saturday, 29 June 2013 03:48:49 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
[...]
> > This particular example ended up in this owner's hands for $5.6M,
> > making it the most valuable car I have ever had the privilege of
> > shooting.

> > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5803w.jpg >

> > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...NC5798-Efw.jpg >

> He got a bargain. I see that a nice red 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB sold at
> RM Auction in January for $8,140,000.

A 250 GT spyder went for $10.9 million in May 2008
http://www.worldcarfans.com/10805191...or-109-million
Radio DJ Chris Evans Buys 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder for $10.9 Million

The 250 GTO is nicer, and they go for three times that:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/f...ars-2012-06-06
Ferrari 250 GTO sells for $35M

Better looking in red though:
http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-49027.jpeg

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:39:59 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>When I go to a Concours or any other car show I try to get a shot of
>the entry card so I can get a reference. If I can't get that, I have my
>trusty pen & pad.

While I have nothing against using graphite and dead trees, I usually
photograph the sign in the front window (or wherever located) of a
show car that I'm going to photograph. I can't recall ever being to a
car show where there wasn't a card or something displayed with the car
with the owner's name and the necessary information about the car.

The photo of the card shows enough of the car to make it clear it's
the same car, and is in file number sequence, so I have a record of
the car information.

The downside of these cards is that they appear in shots of the car
and have to be cloned out. That's often a real problem since the
interior of the car shows in part of the front windshield but is
blocked by the card. Cloning or otherwise removing the card has to be
time-consumingly creative.

As long as I'm complaining, the biggest problem I have at car shows is
the open hood. I don't want photos of engines. On many an occasion
I've asked the owner to close the hood for the photograph.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

PeterN

On 6/29/2013 9:23 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:39:59 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>

>> When I go to a Concours or any other car show I try to get a shot of
>> the entry card so I can get a reference. If I can't get that, I have my
>> trusty pen & pad.

> While I have nothing against using graphite and dead trees, I usually
> photograph the sign in the front window (or wherever located) of a
> show car that I'm going to photograph. I can't recall ever being to a
> car show where there wasn't a card or something displayed with the car
> with the owner's name and the necessary information about the car.
>
> The photo of the card shows enough of the car to make it clear it's
> the same car, and is in file number sequence, so I have a record of
> the car information.
>
> The downside of these cards is that they appear in shots of the car
> and have to be cloned out. That's often a real problem since the
> interior of the car shows in part of the front windshield but is
> blocked by the card. Cloning or otherwise removing the card has to be
> time-consumingly creative.
>
> As long as I'm complaining, the biggest problem I have at car shows is
> the open hood. I don't want photos of engines. On many an occasion
> I've asked the owner to close the hood for the photograph.

Car owners are usually quite happy to oblige photographers. However, I
am careful about offering copies of images, as there is usually a
professional. Sometimes the engines are quite interesting to shoot. My
interest in the make and model is rather casual.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:34:08 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 6/29/2013 9:23 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:39:59 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>

>>> When I go to a Concours or any other car show I try to get a shot of
>>> the entry card so I can get a reference. If I can't get that, I have my
>>> trusty pen & pad.

>> While I have nothing against using graphite and dead trees, I usually
>> photograph the sign in the front window (or wherever located) of a
>> show car that I'm going to photograph. I can't recall ever being to a
>> car show where there wasn't a card or something displayed with the car
>> with the owner's name and the necessary information about the car.
>>
>> The photo of the card shows enough of the car to make it clear it's
>> the same car, and is in file number sequence, so I have a record of
>> the car information.
>>
>> The downside of these cards is that they appear in shots of the car
>> and have to be cloned out. That's often a real problem since the
>> interior of the car shows in part of the front windshield but is
>> blocked by the card. Cloning or otherwise removing the card has to be
>> time-consumingly creative.
>>
>> As long as I'm complaining, the biggest problem I have at car shows is
>> the open hood. I don't want photos of engines. On many an occasion
>> I've asked the owner to close the hood for the photograph.
>>

>Car owners are usually quite happy to oblige photographers. However, I
>am careful about offering copies of images, as there is usually a
>professional. Sometimes the engines are quite interesting to shoot. My
>interest in the make and model is rather casual.

Sometimes the hood-open shot can work:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-01-XL.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

PeterN

On 6/29/2013 11:47 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:34:08 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 6/29/2013 9:23 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> While I have nothing against using graphite and dead trees, I usually
>>> photograph the sign in the front window (or wherever located) of a
>>> show car that I'm going to photograph. I can't recall ever being to a
>>> car show where there wasn't a card or something displayed with the car
>>> with the owner's name and the necessary information about the car.
>>>
>>> The photo of the card shows enough of the car to make it clear it's
>>> the same car, and is in file number sequence, so I have a record of
>>> the car information.
>>>
>>> The downside of these cards is that they appear in shots of the car
>>> and have to be cloned out. That's often a real problem since the
>>> interior of the car shows in part of the front windshield but is
>>> blocked by the card. Cloning or otherwise removing the card has to be
>>> time-consumingly creative.
>>>
>>> As long as I'm complaining, the biggest problem I have at car shows is
>>> the open hood. I don't want photos of engines. On many an occasion
>>> I've asked the owner to close the hood for the photograph.
>>>

>> Car owners are usually quite happy to oblige photographers. However, I
>> am careful about offering copies of images, as there is usually a
>> professional. Sometimes the engines are quite interesting to shoot. My
>> interest in the make and model is rather casual.

> Sometimes the hood-open shot can work:
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-01-XL.jpg

That one did. Well done. Although I tired mightily, I found no nits to pick.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 6/29/2013 12:40 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 6/29/2013 11:47 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:34:08 -0400, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Car owners are usually quite happy to oblige photographers. However, I
>>> am careful about offering copies of images, as there is usually a
>>> professional. Sometimes the engines are quite interesting to shoot. My
>>> interest in the make and model is rather casual.

>> Sometimes the hood-open shot can work:
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-01-XL.jpg
>>

> That one did. Well done. Although I tired mightily, I found no nits to
> pick.

Opps Shoud have read, "tried mightily" not "tired mightily" When
referring to a picture of a car, that could have several meanings.

--
PeterN

kbnathan6340@gmail.com

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:47:47 PM UTC-6, peterN wrote:
> Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
>
> the reddish reflections from the fenders.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>
>

> --
>
> PeterN

Peter, the image is over sharpened, USM's are overloaded, check the fringe clip dude! KB

PeterN

On 2/17/2014 8:48 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:47:47 PM UTC-6, peterN wrote:
>> Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
>>
>> the reddish reflections from the fenders.
>>

>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>
>>

>> --
>>
>> PeterN

> Peter, the image is over sharpened, USM's are overloaded, check the fringe clip dude! KB

thanks. Tha'ts a really old post.

--
PeterN