Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Mysterious modes

Mysterious modes

meow2222@care2.com

As well as the main mode I use, this Benq DC-C640 has many modes that the instructions give no useful info on. Modes for food, buildings, landscape, kids, sunset, but a total dearth of info on what they do different, and its nothing obvious. Does anyone know what these modes supposedly do different?I'm not a beginner at photography, but havent come across any real info onthis.

thanks

NT

me

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:05:26 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>As well as the main mode I use, this Benq DC-C640 has many modes that the instructions give no useful info on.
>Modes for food, buildings, landscape, kids, sunset, but a total dearth of info on what they do different, and its nothing obvious.
> Does anyone know what these modes supposedly do different? I'm not a beginner at photography, but havent come across any real info on this.

Make some controlled shots at each setting and then look at the exif
info to see how shutter speed, f-stop, iso, ext vary.

meow2222@care2.com

On Monday, June 24, 2013 10:24:51 PM UTC+1, me wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:05:26 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >As well as the main mode I use, this Benq DC-C640 has many modes that the instructions give no useful info on.
> >Modes for food, buildings, landscape, kids, sunset, but a total dearth of info on what they do different, and its nothing obvious.
> > Does anyone know what these modes supposedly do different? I'm not a beginner at photography, but havent come across any real info on this.

> Make some controlled shots at each setting and then look at the exif
> info to see how shutter speed, f-stop, iso, ext vary.

nice one, thank you

NT

meow2222@care2.com

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:44:27 AM UTC+1, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2013 10:24:51 PM UTC+1, me wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:05:26 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

8<

> > >As well as the main mode I use, this Benq DC-C640 has many modes that the instructions give no useful info on.

> > Make some controlled shots at each setting and then look at the exif
> > info to see how shutter speed, f-stop, iso, ext vary.

OK, I took pics of an outdoor scene in full sun, including a mix of scene elements. I drew a table up but there are some unexpected results in there...

mode
---- f 1/ iso flash
P full auto 5.6 261 200 n darks rather dark
shakefree 5.6 199 100 y darks dark
mountain/ landscape 5.6 89 100 n everything much lighter
backlight 5.6 85 50 y
moon/ night scene 5.6 60 64 n darks v lght
snow 5.6 60 100 n even lighter
fireworks 5.6 100 100 n well balanced
building 5.6 68 50 n as above
iso hi 5.6 92 100 n darks a bit light
food 5.6 100 100 n red much redder
text 5.6 85 100 n bit 2 lite all round
kids 2.8 419 100 n darks bit dark
sunset 5.6 81 100 n darks washed out, 2 light

I made one mistake: I forgot this monitor's an old one in temporary use while the main machine is sorted, and its gamma's way off. So most pics actually have dark areas that are too dark, the lighter pics in the table are nearer correct.

Now... a couple of surprises.

Firework mode: I would have expected high iso, very long exposures to get trails, maybe boosted colour saturation, and probably infinite focus. I suspect it realised it wasnt looking at nighttime fireworks and did something completely different.

Night scene 64ASA? That sure wouldnt be my choice for night use.

The very high iso grainy portrait mode, which is explained in the manual, apparently isnt.

Why low iso suits buildings I dont know.

Either I'm missing something, or most of those modes seem not especially useful.

NT

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:44:27 AM UTC+1, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Monday, June 24, 2013 10:24:51 PM UTC+1, me wrote:
> > > On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:05:26 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> 8<

> > > Make some controlled shots at each setting and then look at the exif
> > > info to see how shutter speed, f-stop, iso, ext vary.

> OK, I took pics of an outdoor scene in full sun, including a mix of scene elements. I drew a table up but there are some unexpected results in there...
>
> mode
> ---- f 1/ iso flash
> P full auto 5.6 261 200 n darks rather dark
> shakefree 5.6 199 100 y darks dark
> mountain/ landscape 5.6 89 100 n everything much lighter
> backlight 5.6 85 50 y
> moon/ night scene 5.6 60 64 n darks v lght
> snow 5.6 60 100 n even lighter
> fireworks 5.6 100 100 n well balanced
> building 5.6 68 50 n as above
> iso hi 5.6 92 100 n darks a bit light
> food 5.6 100 100 n red much redder
> text 5.6 85 100 n bit 2 lite all round
> kids 2.8 419 100 n darks bit dark
> sunset 5.6 81 100 n darks washed out, 2 light
>
> I made one mistake: I forgot this monitor's an old one in temporary use while the main machine is sorted, and its gamma's way off. So most pics actually have dark areas that are too dark, the lighter pics in the table are nearer correct.
>
> Now... a couple of surprises.
>
> Firework mode: I would have expected high iso, very long exposures to get trails, maybe boosted colour saturation, and probably infinite focus. I suspect it realised it wasnt looking at nighttime fireworks and did something completely different.
>
> Night scene 64ASA? That sure wouldnt be my choice for night use.
>
> The very high iso grainy portrait mode, which is explained in the manual, apparently isnt.
>
> Why low iso suits buildings I dont know.
>
> Either I'm missing something, or most of those modes seem not especially useful.
>

> NT

Remember that a digital camera has four exposure controls, not three.
White balance is also an exposure control, analogous to changing from
"tungsten" to "daylight" film only much more precisely controllable. I
suspect that some of those modes have preset white balance. The trouble
is, if you're getting JPGs instead of RAW you may not be able to find
out what white balance setting was used.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > 8<

> > OK, I took pics of an outdoor scene in full sun, including a mix of scene
> > elements. I drew a table up but there are some unexpected results in
> > there...
> >
> > mode
> > ---- f 1/ iso flash
> > P full auto 5.6 261 200 n darks rather dark
> > shakefree 5.6 199 100 y darks dark
> > mountain/ landscape 5.6 89 100 n everything much lighter
> > backlight 5.6 85 50 y
> > moon/ night scene 5.6 60 64 n darks v lght
> > snow 5.6 60 100 n even lighter
> > fireworks 5.6 100 100 n well balanced
> > building 5.6 68 50 n as above
> > iso hi 5.6 92 100 n darks a bit light
> > food 5.6 100 100 n red much redder
> > text 5.6 85 100 n bit 2 lite all round
> > kids 2.8 419 100 n darks bit dark
> > sunset 5.6 81 100 n darks washed out, 2 light
> >
> > I made one mistake: I forgot this monitor's an old one in temporary use
> > while the main machine is sorted, and its gamma's way off. So most pics
> > actually have dark areas that are too dark, the lighter pics in the table
> > are nearer correct.
> >
> > Now... a couple of surprises.
> >
> > Firework mode: I would have expected high iso, very long exposures to get
> > trails, maybe boosted colour saturation, and probably infinite focus. I
> > suspect it realised it wasnt looking at nighttime fireworks and did
> > something completely different.
> >
> > Night scene 64ASA? That sure wouldnt be my choice for night use.
> >
> > The very high iso grainy portrait mode, which is explained in the manual,
> > apparently isnt.
> >
> > Why low iso suits buildings I dont know.
> >
> > Either I'm missing something, or most of those modes seem not especially
> > useful.
> >

> > NT

> Remember that a digital camera has four exposure controls, not three.
> White balance is also an exposure control, analogous to changing from
> "tungsten" to "daylight" film only much more precisely controllable. I
> suspect that some of those modes have preset white balance. The trouble
> is, if you're getting JPGs instead of RAW you may not be able to find
> out what white balance setting was used.

White balance is a metadata tag in both RAW and JPEG. In the case of
JPEG, the white balance is applied to the image too.

All those different modes tune the balance and limits for aperture,
shutter, ISO, white balance, and metering bias. A well-lit outdoor
scene doesn't have the conditions needed to see the differences.

meow2222@care2.com

On Friday, June 28, 2013 4:46:43 PM UTC+1, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> Remember that a digital camera has four exposure controls, not three.
> White balance is also an exposure control, analogous to changing from
> "tungsten" to "daylight" film only much more precisely controllable. I
> suspect that some of those modes have preset white balance. The trouble
> is, if you're getting JPGs instead of RAW you may not be able to find
> out what white balance setting was used.

Yup, it only does jpgs. White balance is fairly low on my priorities, its usually good enough as is, unlike other parameters, and can usually be fixedin postprocessing if not.

I have learnt more from this about how the cam works, it seems the persistently off gamma is down to me setting it to use 200asa in auto mode, all thepics with lower iso fare better on that point. I guess despite having it for years I've continued thinking more in film terms, and the issues arent the same.

thanks

NT

meow2222@care2.com

On Friday, June 28, 2013 5:12:04 PM UTC+1, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> White balance is a metadata tag in both RAW and JPEG. In the case of
> JPEG, the white balance is applied to the image too.
> All those different modes tune the balance and limits for aperture,
> shutter, ISO, white balance, and metering bias. A well-lit outdoor
> scene doesn't have the conditions needed to see the differences.

I noticed the metering decisions varied, I guess the menu setting I picked is only applied to the P/auto mode.

I suppose I need to compare what it does under various different conditions to learn more about what each mode does.

thanks

NT

Robert Coe

:
[...]

Fireworks are pretty bright, and at night you want the background dark. And
the trails they leave tend to be real, rather than due to latency in the
observer's vision. All of which tends to negate the need for high ISO and long
exposures. BTW, I'd be very surprised if any mode setting directly affected
the focus.

: Night scene 64ASA? That sure wouldnt be my choice for night use.

It might if you were using a tripod and wanted to minimize noise.

: The very high iso grainy portrait mode, which is explained in the manual, apparently isnt.

Probably just as well. Who needs grainy portraits?

: Why low iso suits buildings I dont know.

Buildings don't move much, so you usually don't need high shutter speeds.
Lower IDO can mean less noise.

Bob

otter

On Monday, June 24, 2013 4:05:26 PM UTC-5, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> As well as the main mode I use, this Benq DC-C640 has many modes that theinstructions give no useful info on. Modes for food, buildings, landscape,kids, sunset, but a total dearth of info on what they do different, and its nothing obvious. Does anyone know what these modes supposedly do different? I'm not a beginner at photography, but havent come across any real info on this.

Did you download the user manual? It does have some brief descriptions of each mode. I'd never heard of Benq before, so I took a look out of curiosity.

For example, the building mode says it enhances the edges of buildings, which means it turns up the sharpening.

It's probably best to ignore these modes, and just set the controls the wayyou need them. I think that is what most experienced photographers do. The modes are there just to help beginners. Obviously, not all the choices are ideal.