Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > phone dead, computer still working.

phone dead, computer still working.

geopelia

"Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:kqg0m1$sa$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If I were you Geo I would have used a neighbour's phone to call them (if
>>> at all possible).
>>>
>>> I considered emailing you the other day, when you first posted this and
>>> got your details and chasing them for you. Alas, not being a Telecom
>>> customer myself it would have taken a bit more persuading on my
>>> part......
>>>
>>> Still, I reckon I could have had them there within 2 hours - and would
>>> have if you seemed at all distressed by this - rather than merely
>>> concerned.

>>It is very kind of you to be concerned, but now at last the phone is
>>working.
>>The technician was here today.
>>Emailing was fine for sending a message, and probably quicker than
>>holding
>>up a neighbour's phone waiting on hold.
>>They knew I had the ambulance button and I got "priority", but it still
>>took over two days.
>>Fortunately I didn't have a sudden emergency.
>>St John were very good, they could see their button wasn't working and
>>phoned my contact person to see if I was ok.

> Pleased to hear all is good now. It is also good to know that St John were
> aware and called your contact person. We know a few elderly people locally
> who
> use St John and will let them know that if they lose their phone St John
> will
> be in touch. At least one of them is nervous about that and we can put his
> mind
> at rest.
> Tony

While it is just a worry for most folks, if someone has a sudden heart
attack or cuts a main artery there is no time to do
anything except press the button and hope the ambulance can beat the Grim
Reaper.

geopelia

news:kqir0b$3kg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:kqg0m1$sa$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If I were you Geo I would have used a neighbour's phone to call them
>>> (if at all possible).
>>>
>>> I considered emailing you the other day, when you first posted this
>>> and got your details and chasing them for you. Alas, not being a
>>> Telecom customer myself it would have taken a bit more persuading on
>>> my part...... Still, I reckon I could have had them there within 2
>>> hours - and
>>> would have if you seemed at all distressed by this - rather than
>>> merely concerned.

>> It is very kind of you to be concerned, but now at last the phone is
>> working.
>> The technician was here today.
>> Emailing was fine for sending a message, and probably quicker than
>> holding up a neighbour's phone waiting on hold.
>> They knew I had the ambulance button and I got "priority", but it
>> still took over two days.
>> Fortunately I didn't have a sudden emergency.
>> St John were very good, they could see their button wasn't working and
>> phoned my contact person to see if I was ok.

> Great to hear that you got it sorted at last Geo - but in my opinion two
> days to get it fixed is one and three-quarter days too long for someone in
> your position. I'm disgusted with Telecom.
>
> I am in Pukekohe and can't afford to travel much but am always willing to
> help you out if you need it Geo. I believe you have my email address - if
> there's ever anything that you need help with please don't hesitate to get
> in touch. Especially (but not limited to) things that I can chase up on
> the phone for you. We all need help at some stage and I've been the
> beneficiary of other peoples kindness in the past. I would consider it a
> privilege to help you out of you are ever in need.

Thank you, that's very kind.

It may not be Telecom's fault that it takes so long.
Perhaps they can't get enough qualified technicians.

geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2013-06-27, geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> It is very kind of you to be concerned, but now at last the phone is
>> working.
>> The technician was here today.
>> Emailing was fine for sending a message, and probably quicker than
>> holding
>> up a neighbour's phone waiting on hold.
>> They knew I had the ambulance button and I got "priority", but it still
>> took over two days.
>> Fortunately I didn't have a sudden emergency.
>> St John were very good, they could see their button wasn't working and
>> phoned my contact person to see if I was ok.
>>

> **** we are back in the third world.

It looks as though NZ Post is soon going to be!
But people won't write letters now with the high cost of postage.
And if we can't pay our bills by post with cheques things will just get
worse.
That's about all the mail I send now.

Telecom are probably just short of technicians at present.
They seem to be making a lot of changes in their services.

Richard

On 6/28/2013 11:12 AM, Tony wrote:

> Pleased to hear all is good now. It is also good to know that St John were
> aware and called your contact person. We know a few elderly people locally who
> use St John and will let them know that if they lose their phone St John will
> be in touch. At least one of them is nervous about that and we can put his mind
> at rest.
> Tony

They are as useless as monitored burgular alarms, in that they have no
monitoring of the line, just they can tell when the box misses its next
scheduled checkin by a long time.

Also the St John boxes just plug into the line, they are not wired for
line siezing, so that means that if a phone is offhook they are useless,
so dont fall over when you are on hold to the bank or someone since you
would be stuffed then.

The phone line is a very poor way of monitoring something. I can
understand why it was done before the everywhere availability of GPRS
and internet connections, but thesedays its a really really dumb way to
"monitor" something. There is no monitoring going on, just a device
trying to make an outgoing call in the event of something bad happening.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kqir0b$3kg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:kqg0m1$sa$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It is very kind of you to be concerned, but now at last the phone is
>>> working.
>>> The technician was here today.
>>> Emailing was fine for sending a message, and probably quicker than
>>> holding up a neighbour's phone waiting on hold.
>>> They knew I had the ambulance button and I got "priority", but it
>>> still took over two days.
>>> Fortunately I didn't have a sudden emergency.
>>> St John were very good, they could see their button wasn't working
>>> and phoned my contact person to see if I was ok.

>> Great to hear that you got it sorted at last Geo - but in my opinion
>> two days to get it fixed is one and three-quarter days too long for
>> someone in your position. I'm disgusted with Telecom.
>>
>> I am in Pukekohe and can't afford to travel much but am always
>> willing to help you out if you need it Geo. I believe you have my
>> email address - if there's ever anything that you need help with
>> please don't hesitate to get in touch. Especially (but not limited
>> to) things that I can chase up on the phone for you. We all need
>> help at some stage and I've been the beneficiary of other peoples
>> kindness in the past. I would consider it a privilege to help you
>> out of you are ever in need.

> Thank you, that's very kind.

It's not just lip service Geo. Please take me up on it if you ever need to.
I know that you are strongly independant and respect that but we all need a
little help from time-to-time.

> It may not be Telecom's fault that it takes so long.
> Perhaps they can't get enough qualified technicians.

All that Telecom care about is profit - they will do the least that they can
get away with if allowed to. I'm disgusted with this instance in that they
treated you so badly and I won't accept any excuse [nor should you be giving
them any ]. You are a very forgiving person but you pay them for a
service and you have every right to expect to get that service. There are no
acceptable excuses.

Best wishes,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tony wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:kqg0m1$sa$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It is very kind of you to be concerned, but now at last the phone is
>>> working.
>>> The technician was here today.
>>> Emailing was fine for sending a message, and probably quicker than
>>> holding up a neighbour's phone waiting on hold.
>>> They knew I had the ambulance button and I got "priority", but it
>>> still took over two days.
>>> Fortunately I didn't have a sudden emergency.
>>> St John were very good, they could see their button wasn't working
>>> and phoned my contact person to see if I was ok.

>> Great to hear that you got it sorted at last Geo - but in my opinion
>> two days to get it fixed is one and three-quarter days too long for
>> someone in your position. I'm disgusted with Telecom.
>>
>> I am in Pukekohe and can't afford to travel much but am always
>> willing to help you out if you need it Geo. I believe you have my
>> email address - if there's ever anything that you need help with
>> please don't hesitate to get in touch. Especially (but not limited
>> to) things that I can chase up on the phone for you. We all need
>> help at some stage and I've been the beneficiary of other peoples
>> kindness in the past. I would consider it a privilege to help you
>> out of you are ever in need.
>>
>> Best,
>> --
>> /Shaun.

> Beautifully said Shaun.
> I would also help but am unfortunately 5-6 hours away so can only
> help remotely. I help several local elderly people and it always
> gives me a lift when thinks work out well.

Thanks Tony. I've been reading Geo's posts for quite a few years now and
know that she is a wonderful person with a great heart. I'd hate to think
that she could be badly impacted by something that I could help sort out.

Great to hear that you help out with some older folks. I believe that it is
our duty to society to do so but alas, I think that I'm increasingly
isolated in my view. :-/ I don't care much for this society we live in
these days.

Best,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

geopelia

news:kql7os$ri5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 6/28/2013 11:12 AM, Tony wrote:
> >
>> Pleased to hear all is good now. It is also good to know that St John
>> were
>> aware and called your contact person. We know a few elderly people
>> locally who
>> use St John and will let them know that if they lose their phone St John
>> will
>> be in touch. At least one of them is nervous about that and we can put
>> his mind
>> at rest.
>> Tony

> They are as useless as monitored burgular alarms, in that they have no
> monitoring of the line, just they can tell when the box misses its next
> scheduled checkin by a long time.
>
> Also the St John boxes just plug into the line, they are not wired for
> line siezing, so that means that if a phone is offhook they are useless,
> so dont fall over when you are on hold to the bank or someone since you
> would be stuffed then.
>
> The phone line is a very poor way of monitoring something. I can
> understand why it was done before the everywhere availability of GPRS and
> internet connections, but thesedays its a really really dumb way to
> "monitor" something. There is no monitoring going on, just a device trying
> to make an outgoing call in the event of something bad happening.

I've always found it very good when Hubby needed help.

geopelia

news:kqlcn9$u2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:kqir0b$3kg$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Great to hear that you got it sorted at last Geo - but in my opinion
>>> two days to get it fixed is one and three-quarter days too long for
>>> someone in your position. I'm disgusted with Telecom.
>>>
>>> I am in Pukekohe and can't afford to travel much but am always
>>> willing to help you out if you need it Geo. I believe you have my
>>> email address - if there's ever anything that you need help with
>>> please don't hesitate to get in touch. Especially (but not limited
>>> to) things that I can chase up on the phone for you. We all need
>>> help at some stage and I've been the beneficiary of other peoples
>>> kindness in the past. I would consider it a privilege to help you
>>> out of you are ever in need.

>> Thank you, that's very kind.

> It's not just lip service Geo. Please take me up on it if you ever need
> to. I know that you are strongly independant and respect that but we all
> need a little help from time-to-time.
>
>> It may not be Telecom's fault that it takes so long.
>> Perhaps they can't get enough qualified technicians.

> All that Telecom care about is profit - they will do the least that they
> can get away with if allowed to. I'm disgusted with this instance in that
> they treated you so badly and I won't accept any excuse [nor should you be
> giving them any ]. You are a very forgiving person but you pay them for
> a service and you have every right to expect to get that service. There
> are no acceptable excuses.

Fortunately I didn't need the ambulance so no harm was done.
The payment arrangement is with St John, not Telecom.
Hubby's button cost was reimbursed to him with his disability allowance.
I'm payng my own at present, taken from my bank.