Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > phone dead, computer still working.

phone dead, computer still working.

geopelia

"Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"george152" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

>>> Every-one pays wiring maintenance.
>>> Get onto them
>>> you really need a phone for communicating... but if your Internet's
>>> running you could use one of the phone programs on there

>>How do I get one of those please?
>>
>>I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
>>various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
>>Last one says they should reply within four hours.
>> St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
>>If they find me dead in the garden too bad.

> Geo
> You may have done this but my suggestions are as follows unless you want
> wait for Telecom and their clearly unhelpful suggestions.
> 1. Disconnect at the telephone socket all telephones in the house. The
> same
> with your Sky decoder (if you have one), the same with the St. John device
> and
> the computer. In each case disconnect the cable that connects to telephone
> sockets in the wall.
> 2. Now connect one telephone only and see if you have dial tone. If you do
> have
> it then one of the other devices you have disconnected has a problem and
> you
> would need to re-connect each one at a time until the problem re-appears.
> 3. If you don't have dial tone with the first 'phone then try a different
> telephone at a different socket, if still no dial tone then the problem is
> telecom or house wiring.
> Do you have a monitored alarm if you do then that could have grabbed the
> line
> and would disconnect all telephone devices? In that case the alarm company
> would need to be called, telecom should be able to detect that if it is
> the
> problem happened.

I've got St John, that has been busily flashing away since it happened. They
must wonder what is happening.

> You can re-connect the computer after you have done the testing.
> Is there a good looking young man nearby that could do the testing for
> you?????

Very funny, but alas no chance!

> The last possibility is if you have a splitter installed (you probably
> won't
> know if you have or not), if your telephones all connect through a filter
> then
> you probably don't have a splitter (if you have one it will not be
> anywhere you
> can see it, it will be in the telecom connection point). With no splitter,
> all
> telephone devices except for your computer should be plugged into a filter
> (small plastic box connected to the wall and with one or two sockets on
> the
> box).

Yes. that's what we have. 3 things connect to it.
> Good luck
> Tony

Thank you. I've just received an email from Telecom telling me to do much
the same thing,
which I will do tomorrow morning when there is more light.
I have to get down on the floor to do it.
I can refer to your email if I get stuck with theirs.

If it is their equipment somebody will come on Thursday, they think. I would
have to make an appointment.
I hope what I do may fix it though as they charge $139.45 if it is my
equipment.
Years ago they would come straight away, before they changed to Telecom.
I forget what they called themselves before.

David Empson

geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kq99vc$lc2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:51c81ef5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> It's conceivable, but I don't know how likely, that the ringing was

> During a recent power cut here in Wellie, my old 706 telephone kept working
> fine. And the bell sounds lovely !
>
> IMO every household really needs one phone that works off the exchange
> battery.

Assuming the exchange has a battery.

During the recent power cuts here in Wellington, thanks to the big storm
on Thursday night, much of my suburb lost power for about 17 hours; my
street was out for 20 hours. I was able to dig out my cheap and simple
landline phone, and it worked. The landline is provided by
TelstraClear/Vodafone (part of the hybrid cable/phone network that
TelstraClear's predecessor installed in Wellington).

A few years ago in a different suburb, there was another power cut over
a wide area (substation outage), but that time the telephone line also
went dead. I was with TelstraClear at the time and it appears that they
had no battery backup in their exchange or cabinet.

Either TelstraClear got better at installing batteries, or the
particular exchange/cabinet we're on now happens to have battery backup
but the previous one didn't, or the exchange/cabinet we're on now is far
enough away that it wasn't affected by the power outage (or had been
fixed by morning when I tried the phone).

--
David Empson

geopelia

"george152" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 25/06/13 14:05, geopelia wrote:
>
>> How do I get one of those please?
>>
>> I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
>> various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
>> Last one says they should reply within four hours.
>> St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
>> If they find me dead in the garden too bad.
>>

> Try Skype or Supervoice but you really should be pounding on Telecoms
> doors demanding that your phone be working.
> A last ditch but effective thing is to email Fair Go. Seven Sharp or the
> TV3 Campbell Live and tell them your troubles.
> They caught one mongrel who was attacking OAP women you have to get that
> phone working

Somebody has finally replied from Telecom.
I think if I try what they say, (which is much the same as what Tony says
here), I should know whether it is me or their end.
They could be cutting down on staff or something, I suppose they are a
government organisation.

And it's a foolish man who would attack a large woman in her own kitchen,
too many lethal weapons handy!

geopelia

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> We've had it happen twice now that the phones broke down (several
> roads' worth of users were intermittently affected) but the adsl happily
> kept going. Wouldn't ring at times, or would not give us a dialtone most
> of the time when we tried to dial out.
> Basically it was down to a lightening strike some place near by doing
> nasty things to the electronics in the exchange - whether it came in via
> the phone lines or the power lines is unclear.
>
> Couple of weeks ago my neighbour's mast-top transformer was hit by
> lightening (approx 500m away) and that took out two adsl splitters here
> and the phoneline-surge-protector in the ups, as well as cooking a fixed
> line old-fashioned phone that I keep as backup for powercuts. Presumably
> one would think it shouldv'e come in via the phone lines ... jumped
> networks at their place or some such? I.D.K. but they are actually on a
> different Corus cable from me, but we share a baton since the two cables
> meet outside my house. Surge from the 30kV line back down here? More
> likely - but that should not have touched the fixed line phone?!?
>
> Pain in the arse in any event. Voltages like lightening involved, it
> seems "**** happens" is about the best explanation.
>
> -P.

Perhaps, some of that lightning sounded very close, but there is a lightning
conductor on the LDS Church nearby.
I always turn off the computer and TV if there is lightning about.

I'm going to try a few suggestions tomorrow and we shall see.

Rich80105

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 01:49:53 +1200, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"george152" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> On 25/06/13 14:05, geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> How do I get one of those please?
>>>
>>> I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
>>> various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
>>> Last one says they should reply within four hours.
>>> St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
>>> If they find me dead in the garden too bad.
>>>

>> Try Skype or Supervoice but you really should be pounding on Telecoms
>> doors demanding that your phone be working.
>> A last ditch but effective thing is to email Fair Go. Seven Sharp or the
>> TV3 Campbell Live and tell them your troubles.
>> They caught one mongrel who was attacking OAP women you have to get that
>> phone working

>Somebody has finally replied from Telecom.
>I think if I try what they say, (which is much the same as what Tony says
>here), I should know whether it is me or their end.
>They could be cutting down on staff or something, I suppose they are a
>government organisation.

No Telecom is now a private organisation - service calls for the sort
of problem you are having are an opportunity for service chargesand
profit.

>And it's a foolish man who would attack a large woman in her own kitchen,
>too many lethal weapons handy!

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
> Rich80105<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[blah blah blah... Polotics in nz.comp.....mumble mumble cross-posted
threads.....]
>> No Telecom is now a private organisation - service calls for the sort
>> of problem you are having are an opportunity for service chargesand
>> profit.

> A typical left Labor take on private industry. It's all bad . Only
> state run can do it better. Beside Telecom does not do this work it's
> passed on to chorus who also do it for all the other telcos / ISPs..

Chorus are, IME very prompt. Most all delays are with Telecom actually
asigning the job to start with.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

geopelia

news:kqdb1m$j41$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
>> Rich80105<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [blah blah blah... Polotics in nz.comp.....mumble mumble cross-posted
> threads.....]
>>> No Telecom is now a private organisation - service calls for the sort
>>> of problem you are having are an opportunity for service chargesand
>>> profit.

>> A typical left Labor take on private industry. It's all bad . Only
>> state run can do it better. Beside Telecom does not do this work it's
>> passed on to chorus who also do it for all the other telcos / ISPs..

> Chorus are, IME very prompt. Most all delays are with Telecom actually
> asigning the job to start with.

Yes, Telecom seems to be the problem. Just received another email from them
giving four choices of numbers to call.
Brilliant, it's the phone that is out of order!
St John's machine is still flashing. They must wonder what is going on.

Enkidu

On 24/06/13 23:24, geopelia wrote:

>> If you need the St John's button phone Telecom *immediately* and tell
>> them so. If the phone doesn't work it is very likely that the St John's
>> doesn't either.

> If the phone doesn't work how can I phone St John? If I just press the
> button the ambulance will come if they can't phone me, so I can't do that.
> If the button is working of course.

Sure, I meant from another phone.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 26/06/13 01:29, geopelia wrote:

> Thank you. I've just received an email from Telecom telling me to do
> much the same thing, which I will do tomorrow morning when there is
> more light. I have to get down on the floor to do it. I can refer to
> your email if I get stuck with theirs.
>
> If it is their equipment somebody will come on Thursday, they think.
> I would have to make an appointment. I hope what I do may fix it
> though as they charge $139.45 if it is my equipment.

Since you have a St Johns button, you can tell them that it is a
priority to ensure that your line is working.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 26/06/13 01:37, David Empson wrote:

> Assuming the exchange has a battery.
>
> During the recent power cuts here in Wellington, thanks to the big
> storm on Thursday night, much of my suburb lost power for about 17
> hours; my street was out for 20 hours. I was able to dig out my cheap
> and simple landline phone, and it worked. The landline is provided
> by TelstraClear/Vodafone (part of the hybrid cable/phone network
> that TelstraClear's predecessor installed in Wellington).
>
> A few years ago in a different suburb, there was another power cut
> over a wide area (substation outage), but that time the telephone
> line also went dead. I was with TelstraClear at the time and it
> appears that they had no battery backup in their exchange or
> cabinet.
>
> Either TelstraClear got better at installing batteries, or the
> particular exchange/cabinet we're on now happens to have battery
> backup but the previous one didn't, or the exchange/cabinet we're on
> now is far enough away that it wasn't affected by the power outage
> (or had been fixed by morning when I tried the phone).

Exchanges always used to have batteries. I can't see that having changed
as prices and sizes of equipment have reduced dramatically. However,
even the biggest batteries can be drained pretty quickly by a short or
very heavy usage.

Cheers,

Cliff