Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Canon 1Dx question

Re: Canon 1Dx question

Joe Kotroczo

On 23/06/2013 13:31, rwalker wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 04:45:51 -0500, Neil Ellwood
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

(...)
> I could barely make the 5DIII fit my budget, so I was never giving
> really serious consideration to the 1D.. I'm sure that the 1Dx must
> have some benefits, but it wasn't clear to me what that was. You've
> made it clearer. If someone was a pro, who is likely to be taking it
> into enviroments where that heavier build and water tightness becomes
> extremely important, then it makes sense to spend the extra money.
> Mine really was a legitimate question, I wasn't being facetious or
> trolling. (It must have been one of the earlier 1D models that had
> the APS-H sensor.)

Apart from the ruggedness the other advantage it's supposed to have is
speed. Which is probably only a concern if you shoot news, action or
sports for a living and can't afford to miss _that_ shot.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Joe Kotroczo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[1DX]

> Apart from the ruggedness the other advantage it's supposed to have is
> speed. Which is probably only a concern if you shoot news, action or
> sports for a living and can't afford to miss _that_ shot.

Oh, and clarkvision.com says the read noise is *very* good:
| The read noise, reaching a low of only 1.2 electrons at
| ISO 12,800 is the lowest I have yet measured and the
| lowest I have seen on any room-temperature sensor. Only
| the 1D Mark IV in the canon line comes close; all other
| Canon cameras tested above 2 electrons read noise, except
| the Canon 1D Mark IV, which has a read noise at ISO
| 12,800 of 1.7 electrons.
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/...1dx/index.html

Oh, and face tracking for the AF and a 100.000 pixel RGB
metering sensor (with dedicated processor).

Oh, and more direct access buttons (programmable).

Oh, and a slightly faster sync time.

Oh, and Ethernet. Just plug in the cable in in your studio.

And a couple other things that may be of value in some
situations which you may or may not come into.

-Wolfgang