Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Canon 1Dx question

Re: Canon 1Dx question

Robert Coe

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 07:31:21 -0400, rwalker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 04:45:51 -0500, Neil Ellwood
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 21:49:02 -0400, rwalker wrote:
: >
: >> I just bought a 5DIII, and am now awaiting delivery. I'd planned to do
: >> this for a long time but only now was in a position to do it. But while
: >> I was planning this, I also looked at the 1D. What I can't figure out
: >> is, why does the 1Dx go for almost twice the cost of a 5DIII? And for
: >> all the bells as whistles of the 1D, why does it only have an APS-H
: >> sized sensor, while the 5D has a 35 mm sized sensor? While the 1D is
: >> twice the cost, it doesn't seem to have twice the value.
: >
: >I understand that the 1 DX has the same size sensor as the 5D111 and the
: >1Ds. The build is rugged for serious professional use and is waterproofed
: >as much as possible.
: >
: >If you have use for a camera like this only you will know, that the
: >difference in cost will only be a bargain if you need the build and
: >features that are better than cheaper cameras.
: >
: >The potential owner is the person to decide whether or not to buy any
: >camera to suit their requirements as nearly as possible (the size of
: >wallet also being an important factor)
:
: I could barely make the 5DIII fit my budget, so I was never giving
: really serious consideration to the 1D.. I'm sure that the 1Dx must
: have some benefits, but it wasn't clear to me what that was. You've
: made it clearer. If someone was a pro, who is likely to be taking it
: into enviroments where that heavier build and water tightness becomes
: extremely important, then it makes sense to spend the extra money.
: Mine really was a legitimate question, I wasn't being facetious or
: trolling. (It must have been one of the earlier 1D models that had
: the APS-H sensor.)

I think you're right, and I'm not swayed by the only serious counter-argument
others have advanced: that the 1DX is more rugged. If you need a really rugged
camera, you're probably going to be shooting under conditions where you
wouldn't want to change lenses often. The usual procudure in such cases is to
carry two cameras, and I would *not* want to try to carry two 1DXes (though I
did once see a news photographer carrying a 1D and a smaller camera).

For event photography, I usually carry two 7D's (one with a 17-55 and the
other with a 50-150 or a 70-200). By the end of a two or three hour shoot, I
can really feel the weight. I could conceive of carrying two 5D3's (the lenses
wouldn't be any heavier), but two 1DXes are beyond my load-bearing capacity.
:^)

Bob