Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > hyperfocal settings

hyperfocal settings

Wolfgang Weisselberg

> On 2013-06-23 13:39:28 -0700, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>> Dudley Hanks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> There still is, it's called ADEP.

>> Only on some models, not the more advanced ones.

>>> It just works a bit differently.

>>> Instead of focusing on two points, separately, you just make sure what you
>>> want falls within the center cluster of focusing points. Anything with a
>>> point on it figures into the DOF calculation.

>> So you need to make sure all your focus points are on the
>> subject.

> Consider that Dudley is blind.

That makes it harder, doesn't it?

Imagine you have a group of people (in several rows) you want
all to be in focus (and the rest not to be in focus) and one
AF field is at the horizon (e.g. between 2 heads) ...

>>> Thus, if the center point is on the horizon, one of the top points is on a
>>> closer cluster of leaves, and a left and right point both cover items
>>> somewher in beetween, the camera will do its best to render everything from
>>> the leaves to the people to the horizon in focus.

>> Not everyone shoots landscape.

>>> I haven't used the mode myself, so I can't vouche for how well it works,
>>> but, in theory, it could be used for a quick hyperfocal shot.

>> Not everyone shoots hyperfocal.

>> And DEP works for these people, too.

> ...and not all photographers and computer users are blind. He is trying
> to work out solutions to capture decent images while over coming his
> vision issues. So perhaps you ought to deal with what Dudley is trying
> to do in that context.

But we were talking about DEP and he added that there was
ADEP (which I have used) as a DEP (which I don't think as a
replacement from my own expericence).

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

BobA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>BobA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Default: base it on the sensor pixel size,

>>So how many pixels should the CoC cover again?

> These are good questions that certainly need to be
> asked and answered, but I don't think it's all that
> hard. If I were making the decision off the top
> of my head, I'd probably make the CoC the anti-alias
> width, so about a three pixel diameter,

So basically the CoC is different for a 8 MPix crop camera
to a 17 MPix crop camera? (And that still doesn't allow a
DoF-marker on lenses.)

> but I think
> the manufacturer would do something that would be
> reasonable and work.

Well, that's the problem: what is reasonable at 4x6" isn't
reasonable at 16x20" (and again at 100%).

> I'm also sure whatever definition
> you'd prefer would work great -- you're clearly a
> bright, thoughtful person.

I'd prefer the definition that changes the CoC by the output
size, retroactively. So we only need a highly accurate future
predicting circuit

Or maybe a lightfield camera. There you can even change the
focus retroactively.

>>> but allow a menu pick for other CoCs.

>>Will completely puzzle 90% of the users. A nightmare for
>>support.

> Maybe, but if it were expressed in terms of print size,
> I think most people that are savy enough to use the menus
> could easily handle it.

There's also display size. It should work on a 30" display
and on a 10" netbook and a 7.5" mini tablet (retina displays
optional in each case).

-Wolfgang