Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Adobe update

Adobe update

J. Clarke

In article <kqhesn$i4l$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> | > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
> | > as a marketing scheme.
> |
> | I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
> | http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/
> |

> Yes. I posted the link, remember?
>
> | "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who
> legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current
> use of these products."
> |
> | >They just don't want to advertise
> |
> | if that were true why incluse the above ?
>
> To me it seems that they've deliberately worded it
> to allow legal use. "Should" is not a legal term.

While I understand your point, the statutes abound with punishments for
actions where the defendant "knew or should have known" so I'm pretty
sure that "should" has an established meaning in law.

Still, it appears in the extant context to be in the nature of a
suggestion rather than a mandate.

> In context
> the implication is that "should" means the software is no
> longer suitable for use. There's no need to sign up or ID
> oneself. And as I noted earlier, reports say that the
> EULA click-through states that the software is legal to
> use if it was obtained from Adobe.
>
> *So there is nothing in the download or install indicating
> that use of the product might be illegal or unauthorized.*
>
> I'm just reporting the facts. You can read it as you like.

PeterN

On 6/26/2013 3:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article <kqf5s5$ag7$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>

>> Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
>>>

>> It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
>> as a marketing scheme. They just don't want to advertise
>> it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,
>> people would have to sign up to get a serial number, and
>> they never would have posted the installers in the first place.
>> (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
>> to replace a lost CD. It's only their responsibility to make
>> sure you can activate it.)
>>
>> It actually wasn't so long ago that one used to be able to
>> buy magazines with copies of outdated software on CDs.
>> I once got a full, legal copy of Lotus WordPro that way.
>> The companies did it to entice new potential customers.

> Then there's the issue of try before buy.
>
> Way backalong I needed to prepare a report with a lot of equations in
> it. Lotus Manuscript had just come out and was supposed to have that
> capability, but I had some questions about how it operated and wanted to
> try it. Lotus had a demo but the demo disk had printing disabled, so I
> couldn't tell how the output looked. So I called Lotus and asked them
> what could be done about this. They said contact an authorized Lotus
> dealer and gave me some names in the area. One of them had a copy in
> stock and over the phone said that they could demo it for me. So I made
> an appointment, drove over an hour to their location, waited an hour
> while the person I talked to got out of his meeting, and then was told
> that I had to buy it before they would "demonstrate" it and that having
> bought it and found that it was unsatisfactory I would not be able to
> return it. I asked him why he had told me that he could demo it when I
> talked to him on the phone, and having gotten no satisfactory response I
> told him what he and the water lily he rode in on could do, dropped by
> home for my Selectric symbol element, and prepared the thing using a
> Selectric instead.
>
> I could have just called Blackbeard the Pirate (not what we really
> called him--names have been changed to protect the guilty) who I am sure
> had a cracked copy (if he didn't have a cracked copy it would be the
> only thing of which he didn't have a cracked copy) but it was for the
> company and I was trying to stay strictly legal.

I had a similar problem with any early verson of WordPerfect, with a
different outcome. There were several dealers in my area. the first was
unable/unwilling to show me the basics. The second, local dealer lent me
a copy, spent about an hour with me. I wound up purchasing the program,
and paid him to teach my secretary how to use it. My issue was the
translation from Lanier to WordPerfect.

Peter

PeterN

On 6/26/2013 6:00 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
>>> Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

>> Don't bet he ranch on his predictions. He/she is technically correct.
>> Under the right conditions, MS Paint is compatible with Photoshop, as
>> are lots of other programs.

> nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
maintaining layers?

You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

> furthermore, what i said isn't a prediction. adobe has said they're
> working on mobile apps that will work with the cloud.

I gusee every effort works. So does cold fusion.

> you're talking out your ass, again.

You mean through your mouth? Never.

>> As I said earlier, trying to turn a product
>> into a service is still an experiment.

> it's not an experiment at all. plenty of companies have been doing it
> for many years.
>
> the only 'experiment' was creative cloud over the past year. adobe was
> satisfied with the results (and it exceeded their expectations), so for
> all intents, the 'experiment' already happened and was a success.
>
>> nospam has problems distinguishing products from services.

> nonsense. i know the difference quite well, much more than you do from
> what i can tell.

Your postings don't illustrate your alleged knowledge.

--
PeterN

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Don't bet he ranch on his predictions. He/she is technically correct.
> >> Under the right conditions, MS Paint is compatible with Photoshop, as
> >> are lots of other programs.

> > nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

> And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
> maintaining layers?

what others? you mean apps?

> You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
be."

PeterN

On 6/29/2013 12:37 AM, nospam wrote:

>>> nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

>> And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
>> maintaining layers?

> what others? you mean apps?

Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
clarify.

>> You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

> it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
> true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
> be."

Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
> >> maintaining layers?

> > what others? you mean apps?

> Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
> clarify.

you're confused.

you said ms paint is compatible with photoshop. since when does ms
paint open psd files? it does not, so therefore it is only compatible
in the most simplistic way. to say it's compatible is misleading
people.

> >> You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

> > it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
> > true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
> > be."

> Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
> conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

apparently whatever ability you might have is very limited. you
definitely aren't thinking at all.

what you meant to say was you were granted the ability to lie and twist.

PeterN

On 6/29/2013 1:41 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> what others? you mean apps?

>> Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
>> clarify.

> you're confused.
>
> you said ms paint is compatible with photoshop. since when does ms
> paint open psd files? it does not, so therefore it is only compatible
> in the most simplistic way. to say it's compatible is misleading
> people.

>>> it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
>>> true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
>>> be."

>> Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
>> conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

> apparently whatever ability you might have is very limited. you
> definitely aren't thinking at all.
>
> what you meant to say was you were granted the ability to lie and twist.

OK I will resort to language that even you can understand. Your postings
are those of an insecure asshole, with some emotional problems. GEt help
fast.

Is that clear?

Bye EOD

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
> >> clarify.

> > you're confused.
> >
> > you said ms paint is compatible with photoshop. since when does ms
> > paint open psd files? it does not, so therefore it is only compatible
> > in the most simplistic way. to say it's compatible is misleading
> > people.

> >> Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
> >> conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

> > apparently whatever ability you might have is very limited. you
> > definitely aren't thinking at all.
> >
> > what you meant to say was you were granted the ability to lie and twist.
> >

> OK I will resort to language that even you can understand. Your postings
> are those of an insecure asshole, with some emotional problems. GEt help
> fast.

quite the opposite. you keep changing your story with every post.

> Is that clear?

nothing you say is clear because your posts contradict one another.