Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Adobe update

Adobe update

Mayayana

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...o_boxed_wares/

For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
out of the question.

J. Clarke

In article <kpv3t0$mqp$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...o_boxed_wares/
>
> For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
> CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
> people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
> them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
> out of the question.

He's quoted as saying "We're looking for tweak that would lead to a
better customer outcome. We don't have any that we've identified today".

I know a fine "tweak" that would satisfy the customers. Fire the SOB
and replace him with somebody with half a brain.

me

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:19:45 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <kpv3t0$mqp$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...o_boxed_wares/
>>
>> For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
>> CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
>> people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
>> them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
>> out of the question.

>He's quoted as saying "We're looking for tweak that would lead to a
>better customer outcome. We don't have any that we've identified today".
>
>I know a fine "tweak" that would satisfy the customers. Fire the SOB
>and replace him with somebody with half a brain.

Adobe Photoshop CC Has Apparently Been Cracked One Day After Launch
http://petapixel.com/2013/06/19/adob...h/#more-115170

nospam

if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.

> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
subscription based software.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Adobe Photoshop CC Has Apparently Been Cracked One Day After Launch

> >>http://petapixel.com/2013/06/19/adob...tly-been-crack

> >ed-one-day-after-launch/#more-115170

> How can you not love this? **** Adobe.

so you're ok with piracy?

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:09:35 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >with_no_boxed_wares/
>> >
>> > For what it's worth. It's a story about a talk between Adobe
>> >CEO and analysts. The CEO seems to be saying that some
>> >people are mad and that he wants to find a way to placate
>> >them, but that any backtracking on the subscription plan is
>> >out of the question.

>> Honestly, it's physically painful to see this kind of stupidity on
>> display. What part of "you ****ed up" don't they understand?

>if their sales go up, they didn't **** up.
>
>> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
>> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
>> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
>> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

>apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
>subscription based software.

Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.

So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
> >> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
> >> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
> >> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.

> >apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
> >subscription based software.

> Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
> started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
> a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.
>
> So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

microsoft and google. perhaps you've heard of them.

others include dropbox, carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
radio, new york times, amazon and many more.

<http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=236184>
SaaS delivery will significantly outpace traditional software product
delivery, growing nearly five times faster than the software market
as a whole and becoming the significant growth driver to all
functional software markets. By 2016, the cloud software model will
account for $1 of every $5 spent on software.

Tony Cooper

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 00:38:36 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
>> >subscription based software.

>> Trending, eh? That means that several major software suppliers have
>> started to offer subscription-based use of their programs. A trend is
>> a movement towards something as evidenced by major participants.
>>
>> So, there's Adobe and then there's...?

>microsoft and google.

I have not heard of Google being available as a subscribed service.
What Google will do is *handle* subscription payment collection for
access to sites. The subscriber is not subscribing to Google.

>others include dropbox,

What Dropbox does is offer a free service for a certain amount of disk
space used. A Dropbox customer can increase that amount of space by
paying an amount.

That's not a "trend" to subscription service. The concept of a free
program with the choice of an upgrade to a "better" program for a
price has been going on for years. Anti-virus programs like Avast!
have been doing it.

I'm not going to check out all your cites, but I notice Netflix in
there. Netflix doesn't offer the use of their software by
subscription. What Netflix offers is access to someone else's product
(TV shows, movies) through Netflix. Pandora sells a subscription to
access their site, not a subscription to use their software.

The New York Times is not offering a subscription to use a software
program. They are offering a subscription to view their site in full.
I've been subscribing to newspapers since before home computers were
considered to be feasible. In this case, you subscribe to content,
not to use.

Intuit offers payroll services by subscription, but they don't offer
the use of their Quickbooks software by subscription.

You can't compare what these companies are doing with Adobe's
subscription program wherein you subscribe to be able to download a
program onto your computer to use as you wish as long as you pay the
bill.

>carbonite, crashplan, teambox, salesforce,
>gotomeeting, freshbooks, intuit, zoho, oracle, pandora, netflix, itunes
>radio, new york times, amazon and many more.

I suppose you would consider the news server I use,
news.individual.net, to be a subscription service since I pay an
annual fee to them.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Pablo

Tony Cooper wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:09:35 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
>>subscription based software.

> Trending, eh

4b?

OED:

trend, v.

Forms: Also 16 treand, trent, 17–18 dial. trind. Pa. tense and pple.
trended;
Etymology: Middle English trenden , Old English trendan (rare) < Old
Germanic *trand-jan

*1. intr. To turn round, revolve, rotate, roll; to turn or roll oneself
about; also fig. Obs.
a1000 MS. Cott. Faust. A. x. in Anglia I. 285 Se æppel næfre þæs feorr
ne trenddeð, he cyð, hwanon he com.
[c1000 in A. S. Napier Old Eng. Glosses 5 Teretes, i. rotundos,
sintrendende [v.r. sintredende], sinhwyrfende.]
c1330 (▸?c1300) Guy of Warwick (Auch.) l. 313 He went and trent [c1475
Caius He wende, he trende] his bed opon, So man þat is wo bigon.
1398 J. Trevisa tr. Bartholomew de Glanville De Proprietatibus Rerum ix.
i. (Tollem. MS.) , Meuynge haþ cause firste and principally of trendynge
[1535 trendlynge] aboute of heuen.
1398 J. Trevisa tr. Bartholomew de Glanville De Proprietatibus Rerum xi.
x, Of his longe trendynge [1535 trendlynge] aboute comeþ his roundnesse.
c1460 (▸?c1400) Tale of Beryn (1887) l. 2038 The trowith woll be
previd, how so men evir trend.
1654 R. Vilvain tr. Enchiridium Epigr. i. 32 The whol frame doth round
in her orb trend.

*2.

a. trans. To cause (a thing) to turn round; to turn or roll (anything); to
twist, plait, curl; fig. to revolve in one's mind. Obs. (exc. as in 2b).
c1315 Shoreham vii. 78 A myȝt..Þat halt vp þerþe and sterren bryȝte
Aboute itrent.
c1374 Chaucer tr. Boethius De Consol. Philos. (Cambr.) iii. met. xi. 79
Lat hym rollen and trenden with-Inne hym self the Lyht of his inward syhte.
c1380 Sir Ferumbras (1879) l. 5881 Wyþ eȝene graye, and browes bent, And
ȝealwe traces, & fayre y-trent.
1594 Willobie his Auisa xli. f. 39, The Spindle that you see me driue,
Hath fyld the spill so often trend.
1616 W. Browne Britannia's Pastorals II. iii. 83 Not farre beneath i'th
Valley as she trends Her siluer streame.

b. To wind (wool, partly cleaned) into tops for spinning. dial. (Cf.
trendle n. 5.)
1777-8 [see trended adj. at Derivatives].
1796 Ann. Agric. 26 454 Herefordshire is the only county that I know
which continues the practice of trinding (or winding the wool in tops, ready
sorted in some degree for fine drapers).
1828 Webster Amer. Dict. Eng. Lang., Trend, v.t., in rural economy, to
free wool from its filth. (Local.)

*3.

a. intr. To make a circuit, travel around or about the edge of a region or
piece of land; to skirt, coast (about, along). Obs.
1580 J. Dee in R. Hakluyt Princ. Navigations (1589) ii. 459 You shall
trend about the very Northerne and most Easterly point of all Asia.
1615 G. Sandys Relation of Journey 137 The maine Desarts: which all this
while we had trented along, and now were to passe through.
1622 R. Hawkins Observ. Voiage S. Sea (1847) 179 Trending about the
cape, wee haled in east north-east, to fetch the bay of Atacames.

*b. More vaguely: To turn or direct one's course. Obs.
1618 in W. Foster Eng. Factories India 1618–21 (1906) 11 Their
provisions trend from Mosambique to the Mulluccas.
1647 G. Tooke Belides 30 As a streame descending From his faire heads to
sea, becomes in trending More puissant.
1846 W. S. Landor Imaginary Conversat. in Wks. I. 87/1 The religion of
blood, like the beasts of prey, will continue to trend northward.

*c. trans. To coast along, skirt; to make the circuit of, to round (a point
of land). Obs.
1580 J. Florio tr. J. Cartier Shorte Narr. Two Nauigations Newe Fraunce 13
We trended the sayde land about nine or ten leagues, hoping to finde some
good harborough.
1602 R. Carew Surv. Cornwall ii. f. 98v, From thence trending Penlee
poynt, you discouer Kings Sand and Causam Bay.

4.

a. intr. To turn off in a specified direction; to tend to take a direction
or course expressed by the context; to run, stretch, incline, bend (in some
direction), as a river, current, coastline, mountain range, territory,
stratum, etc.
1598 R. Hakluyt tr. W. de Rubruquis in Princ. Navigations (new ed.) I. 104
The riuer of..Volga.. issueth from the North part of Bulgaria..& so trending
along Southward, disimboqueth into a certain lake.
1610 P. Holland tr. W. Camden Brit. i. 766 The shore treandeth out more,
and more.
1635 Voy. Foxe & James to N.W. (1894) II. 354, I see the land trent to
the Southward.
1779 T. Forrest Voy. New Guinea 194 From the island of Ebus, the coast
trends to the northward.
1860 M. F. Maury Physical Geogr. Sea (ed. ii. §116 In its course to
the north, the Gulf Stream gradually trends more and more to the eastward.
1876 J. R. Green Stray Stud. 290 Their path lay along the coast trending
round to the west.
1892 R. L. Stevenson Across Plains 232 The rail~road trended to the
right.

b. fig. To turn in some direction, to have a general tendency (as a
discussion, events, etc.).
1863 G. A. Lawrence Border & Bastille xiii. 243 In which direction do
the sympathies and interests of the Border States actually trend?
1886 E. Dowden Life Shelley I. iv. 164 The discussion..trended away from
theology in the direction of politics.
1901 B. Meakin Land of Moors xx. 407 The Land of the Moors, which, as
things trend to-day, must in time form part of her [France's] colony.

c. trans. in casual sense: To turn or bend the course of in a particular
direction. rare.
1840 Civil Engineer & Architect's Jrnl. 3 109/1 Laying the several
courses perpendicular to the face of the arch..and trending them to the
abutments in an angle dependent on the given obliquity.

ˈtrended adj. (dial. trinded) (spec. of wool: see 2b).
1777–8 R. Wight Horæ Subsecivæ (MS Bodl. Eng. lang. d.66) 438
[Gloucestershire] Trinded or Trended Wool,..Wool winded, & fastned together
with the Rind of a Tree.
1796 Ann. Agric. 26 455 [I] send you, by Drew, a trinded top of
wool..with the locks left out of it at trinding.
1805 J. Luccock Nature & Prop. Wool 300 From the trended fleece of
Herefordshire about one tenth of its weight is taken of coarse and inferior
locks.

ˈtrending adj.
1856 J. Martineau Ess., Rev., & Addr. (1891) IV. 44 No treaty..can trace
a boundary-line any more than a mountain-chain or trending coast can keep
out the Almighty Maker of them both.
1968 D. L. Clarke Analyt. Archaeol. vi. v. 274 Once again we have six
trending variables, each with three crude attitudes.

ˈtrender n. (dial.) one employed in winding (cleaned) wool.
1828 Webster Amer. Dict. Eng. Lang., Trender, one whose business is to
free wool from its filth. (Local.)

--

Pablo

http://www.ipernity.com/home/313627
http://paulc.es/

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > >> Maybe they should take a cue from MS, who reversed some of their XBox
: > >> insanity days after release. MS hasn't gone far enough, but it's a
: > >> start. Adobe will eventually get it, but only after they fire some
: > >> morons. Painful, just painful stupidity.
: > >
: > >apparently you are unaware the industry is trending towards
: > >subscription based software.
: >
[...]

These fads come and go. Anyone who tells you he can predict accurately how
they will play out in any given time frame is a liar. The "cloud model", or
something very much like it, was proposed as the future of computing as long
ago as the early 1960s. At that time it was based on the premise that
computational hardware would remain expensive and hard to use forever; the
invention of the minicomputer sealed the idea's fate. This time it's based on
different premises, but they're just as unprovable and subject to change. That
there will be a role for cloud software for the foreseeable future is probably
true; and when you start from nearly zero, eye-popping growth rates are
possible. But the cloud has security and reliability drawbacks that will
almost certainly limit its market penetration at some point. What happens then
is anybody's bet. What is almost indisputable is that there is such explosive
growth in the use of various forms of computers that there is room for a
variety of economic models.

Bob