Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > mail form

mail form

Lewis

In message <kq622s$d66$(E-Mail Removed)>
se <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> And yet, you obfuscate your email on this newsgroup. Interesting.

>> As I said, to prevent clueless people from automatically emailing me
>> copies of their posts.

> Makes no difference.

Yes it does. Clueless people have to INTENTIONALLY send me copies of
their posts since they have to edit the email address. They also have to
edit it to remove my obvious request that they do not send me copies.
Without the munged email address I'd get emailed copies more than 50% of
the time. With it, I get them less that 0.5% of the time.

--
And the three men I admire most, the father son and the holly ghost they
caught the last train for the coast...

Lewis

In message <tfudfis92v5i$.1r0jq7u3fpwby$(E-Mail Removed)>
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My idea is to surround the mailto: link with hundreds of fake addys.
> Just put them in a division which is hidden from view.
> As I understand it, they have to remove bad addies by hand.
> They don't want their prescious addy getting shut down because of hundreds
> of returned mail notices.

As usual, your understanding is mired in the mid to late 90s and is
completely outdated and wrong.

Spammers don't give a **** about invalid addresses. They send billions
of emails via botnet machines. Bounces and rejections simply do not
matter. For example, if you have access to a mailserver, you will see
thousands and thousands of attempts to send emails to *OBVIOUS*
message-id "addresses".

For example, just looking at my mailserver right now, there is the following:

Jun 23 18:36:38 mail postfix/smtpd[18545]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[187.243.221.81]: 550 5.1.1 <z05101208b869b2edf639@*munged*.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown; from=<(E-Mail Removed)> to=<z05101208b869b2edf639@*munged*.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<customer-CLN-221-81.megared.net.mx>
Jun 23 18:38:09 mail postfix/smtpd[18114]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from r186-54-190-119.dialup.adsl.anteldata.net.uy[186.54.190.119]: 550 5.1.1 <22850ceb-e06f-dd18-9eb4-003065ab9b0e@*munged*.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown; from=<(E-Mail Removed)> to=<22850ceb-e06f-dd18-9eb4-003065ab9b0e@*munged*.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<r186-54-190-119.dialup.adsl.anteldata.net.uy>

--
"There will always be women in rubber flirting with me."

Denis McMahon

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:34:03 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

>> My idea is to surround the mailto: link with hundreds of fake addys.
>> Just put them in a division which is hidden from view.
>> As I understand it, they have to remove bad addies by hand.
>> They don't want their prescious addy getting shut down because of
>> hundreds of returned mail notices.

> No amount of surrounding text (that's all HTML is, after all) will
> prevent a bot from finding "(E-Mail Removed)".

This is Richard. He read something somewhere that was claimed to be the
case 15 years ago, and because he read it and nothing ever changes it
must be true now.

Richard has an uncanny ability to determine whether what he reads on the
internet is correct, except that in Richard's case, it works backwards -
so the less accurate it was, the more convinced he is that it is
eternally true.

--
Denis McMahon, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Jonathan N. Little

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>>> Makes no difference.

>> Yes it does. Clueless people have to INTENTIONALLY send me copies of
>> their posts since they have to edit the email address. They also have to
>> edit it to remove my obvious request that they do not send me copies.
>> Without the munged email address I'd get emailed copies more than 50% of
>> the time. With it, I get them less that 0.5% of the time.
>>

> Fascinating assertion. In 15 or more years of using newsgroups I've
> gotten perhaps 6 emails from them.

Been my experience as well, maybe 10.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Christoph Michael Becker

Ed Mullen wrote:
> richard wrote:
>> My idea is to surround the mailto: link with hundreds of fake addys.
>> Just put them in a division which is hidden from view.
>> As I understand it, they have to remove bad addies by hand.
>> They don't want their prescious addy getting shut down because of
>> hundreds
>> of returned mail notices.
>>

> No amount of surrounding text (that's all HTML is, after all) will
> prevent a bot from finding "(E-Mail Removed)".

What richard is actually talking about, is to add a lot of fake email
addresses in addition to the real one. This technique is advertised by
several sites (for instance
<http://www.robietherobot.com/spamfight.htm>). However, I am not
convinced that it actually would help to reduce spam[1]. And of course
only fake email addresses should be used, that are guaranteed to *never*
be used as real addresses.

[1] I assume that none of the email addresses collected by bots are
considered "precious" until they are verified.

--
Christoph M. Becker

Gene Wirchenko

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:25:57 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Yes it does. Clueless people have to INTENTIONALLY send me copies of
>>> their posts since they have to edit the email address. They also have to
>>> edit it to remove my obvious request that they do not send me copies.
>>> Without the munged email address I'd get emailed copies more than 50% of
>>> the time. With it, I get them less that 0.5% of the time.

>> Fascinating assertion. In 15 or more years of using newsgroups I've
>> gotten perhaps 6 emails from them.

>Been my experience as well, maybe 10.

And mine. I occasionally get an E-mail. Usually, it is someone
posting a reply to the RISKS List on a post of mine who copies me. It
is WAY under 0.5%.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Denis McMahon

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:08:03 +0200, Christoph Michael Becker wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> richard wrote:

>>> They don't want their prescious addy getting shut down because of
>>> hundreds of returned mail notices.

>> No amount of surrounding text (that's all HTML is, after all) will
>> prevent a bot from finding "(E-Mail Removed)".

> [1] I assume that none of the email addresses collected by bots are
> considered "precious" until they are verified.

What richard is referring to as "precious" is the address he thinks the
spammer is sending the emails from.

He seems to think that spammers are worried somehow that their sending
email account will be shut down if they try and mail lots of fake
addresses.

This completely overlooks the fact that most spam emails are sent by
botnets, and often either contain links to fake financial websites on
other botnets, or malicious software payloads, or links to shady
pharmaceutical or sex businesses operating on hosting servers that don't
give a toss about their clients buying advertising from spammers as long
as they see income for server rentals.

--
Denis McMahon, (E-Mail Removed)

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Lewis wrote:

>> >... Clueless people have to INTENTIONALLY send me copies of
>> > their posts since they have to edit the email address. They also have to
>> > edit it to remove my obvious request that they do not send me copies.
>> > Without the munged email address I'd get emailed copies more than 50% of
>> > the time. With it, I get them less that 0.5% of the time.
>> >

>> Fascinating assertion. In 15 or more years of using newsgroups I've
>> gotten perhaps 6 emails from them.

> Indeed. 50% copies of usenet posts is as likely as hens teeth (which
> apparently are not completely non-existent.

Depends on the groups you post in. For a period of time, at least one of
the Microshit programs defaulted to emailing copies of every post, as I
recall. Windows Live v15 perhaps?

--
You could save people. You could get there in the nick of time. And
something could snap its fingers and say, no , it has to be that way.

Lewis

In message <51c9b23d$0$6547$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net>
Christoph Michael Becker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [1] I assume that none of the email addresses collected by bots are
> considered "precious" until they are verified.

90s thinking again. They don't care, and they don't verify.

--
the first man to hear the voice of Om, and who gave Om his view of
humans, was a shepherd and not a goatherd. They have quite different