Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Playing around with NIK

Playing around with NIK

otter

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line

> > length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to

> > scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

> The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
>
> very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
>
> Whisky Dave uses.
>
> It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
>
> doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.

Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
but the new Google interface sucks.

BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
I gave you some line returns.

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:47:33 -0700 (PDT), otter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>

>> > Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line

>> > length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to

>> > scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

>> The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
>>
>> very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
>>
>> Whisky Dave uses.
>>
>> It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
>>
>> doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
>>

>Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
>their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
>I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
>but the new Google interface sucks.
>
>BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem,

Agent may not be able to correct it, but your newsreader is causing
it. It's not like Agent *causes* the problem.

>but I gave you some line returns.

Much better. I appreciate it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
> > On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> >

> > > Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line

> > > length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to

> > > scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

> > The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
> >
> > very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
> >
> > Whisky Dave uses.
> >
> > It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
> >
> > doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
> >

> Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
> their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
> I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
> but the new Google interface sucks.
>
> BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
> I gave you some line returns.

I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal. They used to be a really
good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.

peternew

On 6/19/2013 1:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-18 21:47:33 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:

>>> The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
>>> very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
>>> Whisky Dave uses.
>>> It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
>>> doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
>>>

>> Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
>> their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
>> I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
>> but the new Google interface sucks.
>>
>> BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
>> I gave you some line returns.

> Naah! G2/1.0 just sucks royally!
> One of its worse quirks is its automatic addition of line returns each
> time it is used for a response in a thread regardless of no need for
> that return.
> Whenever possible I try to clean things up by removing the "Google
> returns" in my responses, but when the G2/1.0 user replies things are
> screwed up again
>
> BTW: I am using Unison on a Mac.

I use thundrbird on a PC. the only problem is that it does not mark
threads as read, when they are posted to multiple groups.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:17:01 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
>> >
>> > very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
>> >
>> > Whisky Dave uses.
>> >
>> > It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
>> >
>> > doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
>> >

>> Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
>> their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
>> I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
>> but the new Google interface sucks.
>>
>> BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
>> I gave you some line returns.

>I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal. They used to be a really
>good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
>a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
>to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.

I may to back to "Dogpile". I see it's still there.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

pensive hamster

On Jun 19, 5:47*am, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. *They've forced
> their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
> I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
> but the new Google interface sucks.
>
> BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
> I gave you some line returns.

As of Wed 19 June 2013, the old GG is still available. You need to be
signed in, then go to:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital

In other words, you need:
http://groups.google.com/group/
and then append the name of the group you want, eg: rec.photo.digital

For comparison, the new GG is
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo....photo.digital

Why one is https and the other is http, I don't know. I found this old
GG trick courtesy of some people over at alt.usage.english

pensive hamster

On Jun 19, 3:17*pm, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal. *They used to be a really
> good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
> a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
> to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.

Google have had to devote all their top guys to running Operation
Prism.

Allegedly.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
pensive hamster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal. *They used to be a really
> > good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
> > a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
> > to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.
> >

> Google have had to devote all their top guys to running Operation
> Prism.

google doesn't run prism.

otter

On Jun 19, 2:46*pm, pensive hamster <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Jun 19, 5:47*am, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. *They've forced
> > their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
> > I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
> > but the new Google interface sucks.

> > BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
> > I gave you some line returns.

> As of Wed 19 June 2013, the old GG is still available. You need to be
> signed in, then go to:http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital
>
> In other words, you need:http://groups.google.com/group/
> and then append the name of the group you want, eg: *rec.photo.digital
>
> For comparison, the new GG ishttps://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.photo.digital
>
> Why one is https and the other is http, I don't know. I found this old
> GG trick courtesy of some people over at alt.usage.english

The old google groups magically reappeared without me having to do
anything special,
but I'll bear this in mind, thanks. I have a feeling they may have
released
something either by mistake, or they sent up a trial balloon, and got
a lot of bad
feedback.

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 06:34:04 +1200, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:48:00 -0400, Tony Cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line
>>length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to
>>scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

>Have you tried typing 'o' to make Agent line-wrap at the screen
>boundary?

I had not before, but just tried it on one of Otter's posts and it did
not change the long line configuration.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL