Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Install HD Player....

Install HD Player....

dcardarelli@comcast.net

I keep getting a full screen pop-up to "Install HD Player" from http://static.getj.net......... and it is very annoying.

It is not site-dependent because I get it from a variety of locations including this newsgroup.

It must be malware or something on my system.

I ran malwarebytes (as well as spybot snd destroy) and it did not pick it up.

How can I get rid of this annoying thing?

Thanks,

Dave C.

Paul

> I keep getting a full screen pop-up to "Install HD Player" from
> http://static.getj.net......... and it is very annoying.
>
> It is not site-dependent because I get it from a variety of locations including this newsgroup.
>
> It must be malware or something on my system.
>
> I ran malwarebytes (as well as spybot snd destroy) and it did not pick it up.
>
> How can I get rid of this annoying thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C.

Do you use Chrome browser ?

http://productforums.google.com/foru...me/tr0bwDtHW0U

"go to C:\users\(computer's name)\AppData\Roaming\

Do you see a folder there named Dsite? If so, I think you'll
find a small program called UpdateTask.exe."

That's the only concrete suggestion in the thread.

I would use Autoruns, and see if there is anything in there
that is similar to that. Maybe the UpdateTask is set up
as a startup item, which is what Autoruns is supposed to
show up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902

*******

Using "Dsite" as a search term, I can find other references.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...d-music/page-3

"AddRemove-DSite - c:\users\LOVEOF~1\AppData\Roaming\DSite\UpdateProc \UpdateTask.exe"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...luggish/page-5

"C:\Users\Ricks-Laptop\AppData\Roaming\DSite\UpdateProc\UpdateTask .exe

Win32/InstallCore.BD application cleaned by deleting - quarantined"

And so on.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-thre...=7993&tlang=it

One recommended repair was downright weird - suggesting it
actually attacked the MBR. That doesn't align with the other
info I'm seeing.

So the PUP has a name, and ESET calls it "Win32/InstallCore.BD".
YMMV of course, because only you know whether the symptoms match
or not.

The Avira suggestions of these files:

C:\Documents and Settings\virtual_pc\Application Data\DSite\UpdateProc
%WINDIR%\Tasks\At1.job

suggest to me that the "Tasks" mean the thing has scheduled itself to
run via the Task Scheduler. Just a guess. So rather than being a
Startup item, that *.job file might be how it gets to run when
it wants to (time-based launch).

Paul

dcardarelli@comcast.net