Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > An album for comment

An album for comment

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 13:41:16 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-06-16 11:14:36 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Jun 16, 10:20*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On 2013-06-16 05:34:14 -0700, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> said

>> :

>> or

>>> Nice work. It must be great to have those targets when you step out
>>> your back door.
>>> I like the "eye-ball self portrait".
>>>
>>> One of the elements of the SI is to accept the challenge of being drawn
>>> out of the photographic comfort zone each of us has unwittingly
>>> developed over time. You have developed a skill dealing with your local
>>> wild & domestic life and landscape, there are others of us who prefer
>>> landscapes, candid/street, action, documentary, or some who are best
>>> described as generalists. Some handle the change quite well others have
>>> to rise to the challenge of change.
>>> What I suggest, is grab the bull by the horns and dive in. The next SI
>>> mandate is "BBQ" which sounds simple enough, but it is going to be your
>>> interpretation of the mandate that counts. Outdoor cooking is different
>>> all over the World, and some barbecue is executed indoors today. So, if
>>> you have the opportunity to shoot something, or if you have an archive
>>> shot or two, we would like to have you join us in July.
>>>

>> I was about to launch into a rant about the difference between BBQ and
>> "outdoor cooking", but I'll spare you my biased Texan view on the
>> subject.

>I know! I know!
>However, not all in this room are exposed to the Texas variety, and
>some like David are South of the Equator in the Land of Oz where they
>have their own BBQ/outdoor cooking tradition. The same could be said
>for Argentina (pretty damn good) and South Africa (not so good).
>Then we have those wild folks in Memphis who fail to recognize that
>anything cooked outside of their city limits could be termed BBQ, or
>barbecue. (I think that applies to Texans as well)
>
>Out here on the Central Coast we have the Santa Maria style BBQ which
>is pretty tasty in its own special way.
>
>Those poor guys in the North East and in the UK can only fake it.

I went to one of those barbeque cook-off things where you pay an
amount of money to sample barbeque from several different people and
then vote on which is best.

Two contestants were toe-to-toe, nose-to-nose, and had to be
restrained from exchanging blows. One was accusing the other of
copying his secret recipe sauce.

I'll never go to another of those things. After a couple of samples,
they all begin to taste alike. You need something to recharge the
palate.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:22:26 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Overall you have made some nice attempts. Try not to have too much
>> dead space, as in # 4.

>A difficult situation, it was nearly dark and I had the ISO wound up, the
>subject was distant and fast moving. A closer crop would be even fuzzier. I
>will try a different crop and see if I can see it.
>
>A vertical crop just about in the middle of
>> the image would show the bird flying into your picture, not out of
>> it.

>I don't get it... the bird is taking off not landing.

I agree with Peter in part, but not in total. It is usually, if not
almost-always, better to have space in front of the subject if the
subject is in profile. It doesn't make any difference if the bird is
taking off or landing. That part I agree with. For several write-ups
on this "rule", Google for "rule of space". Some call the space
"active space".

I disagree about dead space...maybe. If Peter means the space behind
a subject in profile (some call this dead space), then I tend to agree
but this "rule" can be broken very successfully.

If Peter is talking about negative space, then I disagree completely.
Negative space can work very effectively.

>When
>> shooting multiple critters, try to keep them at an odd, rather than
>> even number as even number tend to look static.

>I cannot imagine why. I have never heard of that before. Can you explain or
>is this just a personal thing?

I couldn't begin to give you a rational explanation, but it's true.
Odd numbered critters tend to result in better composition. A
triangle (3 critters) works better than a rectangle (4 critters) in a
composition.

I hope I don't have to add that any "rule" in photography works until
it doesn't work, in which case the "rule" should be abandoned.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:37:38 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I particularly like 19, but it needs some postprocessing
>> work, especially in the shadows.

>To what end? How?

The lower part of the horse, needs brought out of the shadows quite a
bit. (That's "lower" as in how we see the horse in the image) I'd
like to be able to clearly see the horse's head differentiated from
the body. The pose is what makes the image, but we still want to see
the horse.

"How" is a tougher question since the answer depends on what software
you use in post-processing. In Elements or Photoshop, using "Shadows
and Highlights" in the default setting would probably improve this in
one step.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

David Hare-Scott

Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:37:38 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I particularly like 19, but it needs some postprocessing
>>> work, especially in the shadows.

>> To what end? How?

> The lower part of the horse, needs brought out of the shadows quite a
> bit. (That's "lower" as in how we see the horse in the image) I'd
> like to be able to clearly see the horse's head differentiated from
> the body. The pose is what makes the image, but we still want to see
> the horse.
>
> "How" is a tougher question since the answer depends on what software
> you use in post-processing. In Elements or Photoshop, using "Shadows
> and Highlights" in the default setting would probably improve this in
> one step.

I have Elements on order. If it ever arrives I will have a go at this and
get back to you.

otter

On Jun 16, 7:42*pm, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> otter wrote:
> > On Jun 16, 7:34 am, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> After watching the shoot-in for a while I have wanted to make an
> >> offering or two. I shot a few frames that might have been on topic
> >> for some subjects recently but none that I really liked. So I
> >> thought I would put up some that I do like and see what the group
> >> thinks.

> >> These are mainly images of the natural world, birds, landscapes and
> >> macros. All shot with the shiny new Nikon d5200 and various lenses.
> >> There has been minimal post processing done.

> >> This is what I see when I step out the back door.

> >>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/627rr3v0jwpenl5/kxUwK_DuWm

> >> David

> > Ah, you are opening yourself up for comments! *Be more careful what
> > you ask for, in the future, LOL!

> Well so far so good.
>

> > I see a good attempt at making artistic shots, some better than others
> > (which is always the case). *I like the colors of most of them. *In
> > particular, I like the reflection in the eye of the horse (I take it
> > that's a horse).

> One horse (Jabba) one dog (Flynn).
>
> > Some of the shots look like they suffered degradation from extreme
> > crops, but in a way that added to the artsy, Holga-like *feel. *At
> > first, I thought you might be using an old point-and-shoot, but then
> > saw it was a D5200.

> Which ones?
>
> Some were taken in quite difficult conditions (nearly dark well after
> sunset, distant fast moving subject).

The problem was I clicked on the images directly in the dropbox link
you sent. Those appear to be highly compressed jpegs with a lot of
artifacts.. When I actually downloaded the zip file, the images look
much better. Maybe other people had this same problem, and thus the
poorer reception than you deserved. I don't have a problem with any
of your shots. In fact, it looks like a beautiful place to live. Is
that Australia, or New Zealand?

otter

On Jun 16, 2:48*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:14:36 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On Jun 16, 10:20*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>: wrote:
>
> : > On 2013-06-16 05:34:14 -0700, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> : >
> : > > After watching the shoot-in for a while I have wanted to make an
> : > > offering or two. *I shot a few frames that might have been on topic for
> : > > some subjects recently but none that I really liked. *So I thought I
> : > > would put up some that I do like and see what the group thinks.
> : >
> : > > These are mainly images of the natural world, birds, landscapes and
> : > > macros. All shot with the shiny new Nikon d5200 and various lenses.
> : > > There has been minimal post processing done.
> : >
> : > > This is what I see when I step out the back door.
> : >
> : > >https://www.dropbox.com/sh/627rr3v0jwpenl5/kxUwK_DuWm
> : >
> : > > David
> : >
> : > Nice work. It must be great to have those targets when you step out
> : > your back door.
> : > I like the "eye-ball self portrait".
> : >
> : > One of the elements of the SI is to accept the challenge of being drawn
> : > out of the photographic comfort zone each of us has unwittingly
> : > developed over time. You have developed a skill dealing with your local
> : > wild & domestic life and landscape, there are others of us who prefer
> : > landscapes, candid/street, action, documentary, or some who are best
> : > described as generalists. Some handle the change quite well others have
> : > to rise to the challenge of change.
> : > What I suggest, is grab the bull by the horns and dive in. The next SI
> : > mandate is "BBQ" which sounds simple enough, but it is going to be your
> : > interpretation of the mandate that counts. Outdoor cooking is different
> : > all over the World, and some barbecue is executed indoors today. So, if
> : > you have the opportunity to shoot something, or if you have an archive
> : > shot or two, we would like to have you join us in July.
> : >
> :
> : I was about to launch into a rant about the difference between BBQ and
> : "outdoor cooking", but I'll spare you my biased Texan view on the
> : subject. *
>
> Oh, let him have it, Bill. I grew up in the south too and can probably be
> counted on to provide some support for your rant. *;^)

Like I said, I'll spare y'all my Texas-centric views on BBQ.

But there is no harm in sharing some links, I suppose (pun intended).
Here's a place that refuses to serve sauce with their BBQ, or provide
forks for that matter. They have been voted best BBQ in Texas more
than once, and are routinely in the top 10 by Texas Monthly, who is
pretty much the authority in these matters:
http://kreuzmarket.com/about-kreuz-b...ockhart-texas/.

Here's a new-comer to the BBQ scene that has taken it by storm due to
melt-in-the mouth brisket that is out of this world. Actually, all of
their meat is fantastic. They sell out every day, usually by 1 or
2PM. The line outside the door shown is typical, but I've seen it
stretch a full block farther down the street to the left:
http://eater.com/archives/2012/03/13...n-barbecue.php.

And here's Hitler, disappointed that he couldn't get into Franklin's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg.

David Hare-Scott

otter wrote:
> On Jun 16, 7:42 pm, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> otter wrote:

>>> Ah, you are opening yourself up for comments! Be more careful what
>>> you ask for, in the future, LOL!

>> Well so far so good.
>>

>>> I see a good attempt at making artistic shots, some better than
>>> others (which is always the case). I like the colors of most of
>>> them. In particular, I like the reflection in the eye of the horse
>>> (I take it that's a horse).

>> One horse (Jabba) one dog (Flynn).
>>
>>> Some of the shots look like they suffered degradation from extreme
>>> crops, but in a way that added to the artsy, Holga-like feel. At
>>> first, I thought you might be using an old point-and-shoot, but then
>>> saw it was a D5200.

>> Which ones?
>>
>> Some were taken in quite difficult conditions (nearly dark well after
>> sunset, distant fast moving subject).

> The problem was I clicked on the images directly in the dropbox link
> you sent. Those appear to be highly compressed jpegs with a lot of
> artifacts.. When I actually downloaded the zip file, the images look
> much better. Maybe other people had this same problem, and thus the
> poorer reception than you deserved. I don't have a problem with any
> of your shots. In fact, it looks like a beautiful place to live. Is
> that Australia, or New Zealand?

Australia, north of Newcastle (on Hunter).

Pablo

Tony Cooper wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:55:03 +0200, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>David Hare-Scott wrote:
>>
>>> After watching the shoot-in for a while I have wanted to make an
>>> offering or
>>> two. I shot a few frames that might have been on topic for some
>>> subjects
>>> recently but none that I really liked. So I thought I would put up some
>>> that I do like and see what the group thinks.
>>>
>>> These are mainly images of the natural world, birds, landscapes and
>>> macros.
>>> All shot with the shiny new Nikon d5200 and various lenses. There has
>>> been minimal post processing done.
>>>
>>> This is what I see when I step out the back door.
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/627rr3v0jwpenl5/kxUwK_DuWm

>>Not that I'm qualified to comment, but why do you chop bits off your
>>subjects?

> Why do you look at the thumbnails and not click so the full photo is
> in view?
>
> Click on the first one and it will open the full image. Then use the
> arrows to view as a manual slideshow. No bits have been chopped off.

Do keep up at the back. The duck said that yesterday and I replied.

--

Pablo

http://www.ipernity.com/home/313627
http://paulc.es/

otter

On Jun 17, 8:23*am, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > pretty much the authority in these matters:
> >http://kreuzmarket.com/about-kreuz-b...ockhart-texas/.

> > Here's a new-comer to the BBQ scene that has taken it by storm due to
> > melt-in-the mouth brisket that is out of this world. *Actually, all of
> > their meat is fantastic. *They sell out every day, usually by 1 or
> > 2PM. *The line outside the door shown is typical, but I've seen it
> > stretch a full block farther down the street to the left:
> >http://eater.com/archives/2012/03/13...stins-franklin...
> > .php.

> > And here's Hitler, disappointed that he couldn't get into Franklin's:
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg.

> Damn, you left out City Market in Lulling, otter. That pit room is the
> Nirvana to the art. In fact, you might want to visit, it would be a
> challenge for some entries next month for y'all's "Shoot-in".

I've heard about City Market, but haven't been there yet. Will have
to give it a shot sometime.

PhotoPhartz

Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>A difficult situation, it was nearly dark and I had the ISO wound up,
>>the subject was distant and fast moving. A closer crop would be even
>>fuzzier. I will try a different crop and see if I can see it.
>>
>>A vertical crop just about in the middle of
>>> the image would show the bird flying into your picture, not out of
>>> it.

>>I don't get it... the bird is taking off not landing.

> I agree with Peter in part, but not in total. It is usually, if not
> almost-always, better to have space in front of the subject if the
> subject is in profile. It doesn't make any difference if the bird is
> taking off or landing. That part I agree with. For several write-ups
> on this "rule", Google for "rule of space". Some call the space
> "active space".
>
> I disagree about dead space...maybe. If Peter means the space behind
> a subject in profile (some call this dead space), then I tend to agree
> but this "rule" can be broken very successfully.
>
> If Peter is talking about negative space, then I disagree completely.
> Negative space can work very effectively.

Well, for my differing taste, I don't see that space as dead space. It's
got interesting ripples and reflections. It's not a detailed picture of a
duck taking off. To me it's more of a mood shot and I like it as is.

--

Pat

email: phartzATcoxDOTnet