Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: What is better and why?

Re: What is better and why?

Öö Tiib

On Friday, 5 July 2013 21:17:35 UTC+3, Tim Rentsch wrote:
> Tiib <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > On Friday, 5 July 2013 05:38:44 UTC+3, Tim Rentsch wrote:
> >> I think you misunderstood the point of my comments.
> >> Unfortunately, I find your communicational style too
> >> bellicose to try to explain further.

> > Yes, I do not understand. I can't even parse myself saying
> > something hostile above.

> Let me try saying it differently. It appears you put more energy
> into arguing than you do either communicating or listening.

You started to discuss me out of blue instead of typedef style under
question. Now ... how am I the bad guy who puts his energy to
wrong place? If you feel that your energy is best spent into such
nonsense feel free, not my business.

I did not even argue, just said that choice of style depends very
highly on choice of the tools. The tools always support some style
better than other. C++ has chosen to make 'typedef struct person
person;' implicit. Make it explicit and you get same in both
languages.

Fighting the tools is like Don Quixote v.s. windmill is it a victory
when windmill is broken?

Tim Rentsch

Tiib <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Friday, 5 July 2013 21:17:35 UTC+3, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>> Tiib <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> >
>> > Yes, I do not understand. I can't even parse myself saying
>> > something hostile above.

>> Let me try saying it differently. It appears you put more energy
>> into arguing than you do either communicating or listening.

> You started to discuss me out of blue instead of typedef style
> under question. [snip continuation]

I assume you were trying to say that I started a new topic
out of the blue when you were already talking about typedef
style.

If you look back in the posting history, I believe you
will see that at the top of this subthread is a posting by
me, in response to a posting by Keith Thompson, talking in
part about how to have productive discussions about style
choices. It was you responding to my posting that "out of
the blue" you ignored my comments about how to engage in
productive discussions and instead started in on a topic
of your choosing. Not the other way around.

Öö Tiib

On Sunday, 14 July 2013 21:36:09 UTC+3, Tim Rentsch wrote:
> Tiib <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> Let me try saying it differently. It appears you put more energy
> >> into arguing than you do either communicating or listening.

> > You started to discuss me out of blue instead of typedef style
> > under question. [snip continuation]

> I assume you were trying to say that I started a new topic
> out of the blue when you were already talking about typedef
> style.

No, I was trying to say that instead of discussing the topic you did
choose (strangely ungrounded) argumentum ad hominem. That is usually
irrelevance in whatever discussion.