Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > serious price drop on Nik software

serious price drop on Nik software

peternew

i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.

<http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
>entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
>
><http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
an additional $20 off through the NIK site. So, I bought it at
$129.00.

So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
images. (My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
works a treat.

I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop. I've tried Color
Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it. It seems better for
special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
processing.

I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet. I understand the basics, but I'm
going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.

I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
railroad boxcar. Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
reveal only the door. I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...06-12-1-XL.jpg

This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

otter

On Jun 14, 9:09*pm, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
> >entire Nk suite for $149. *this represents a drastic price drop.

> ><http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

> You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
> started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
> an additional $20 off through the NIK site. *So, I bought it at
> $129.00.
>
> So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
> images. *(My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
> works a treat.
>
> I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
> black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop. *I've tried Color
> Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it. *It seems better for
> special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
> processing.
>
> I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet. *I understand the basics, but I'm
> going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.
>
> I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
> railroad boxcar. *Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
> and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
> reveal only the door. *I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...-442j3mX/0/XL/...
>
> This one was really for practice. *I'd like the same shot with some
> better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony, no criticism, but just curious. Why didn't you just add a layer
mask to the Nik treated layer and blend it directly with the
background layer, rather than duplicating the background layer,
placing it above the Nik layer adding a mask to it and then blending?

Where did you find the online coupon?

David Taylor

On 15/06/2013 02:57, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
>> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
>>
>> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

> For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

... only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
is a set of plug-ins?
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <kph1op$8es$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
> >> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
> >>
> >> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

> > For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

> .. only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
> is a set of plug-ins?

nope. it also works with elements, which is dirt cheap, as well as
lightroom and aperture, both of which are reasonably priced, and the
latter isn't adobe at all.

otter

On Jun 15, 1:49*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-06-14 23:35:57 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > On Jun 14, 9:09*pm, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
> >> started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
> >> an additional $20 off through the NIK site. *So, I bought it at
> >> $129.00.

> >> So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
> >> images. *(My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
> >> works a treat.

> >> I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
> >> black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop. *I've tried Color
> >> Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it. *It seems better for
> >> special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
> >> processing.

> >> I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet. *I understand the basics, but I'm
> >> going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.

> >> I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
> >> railroad boxcar. *Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
> >> and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
> >> reveal only the door. *I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.

> >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...-442j3mX/0/XL/....

> >> This one was really for practice. *I'd like the same shot with some
> >> better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
> >> --
> >> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

> > Tony, no criticism, but just curious. *Why didn't you just add a layer
> > mask to the Nik treated layer and blend it directly with the
> > background layer, rather than duplicating the background layer,
> > placing it above the Nik layer adding a mask to it and then blending?

> Hell! With any of the NIK suite modules all you have to do is
> selectively apply the effect with a brush, as the NIK application adds
> a layer mask of it own.

Thanks, good to know.

> > Where did you find the online coupon?

Googled Nik coupon and found it. Now playing with my new software.
So far, I like it.

David Taylor

On 15/06/2013 07:52, Savageduck wrote:
[]
> The NIK Suite works with PS Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop, & Aperture.
> Each also functions as a stand alone adjustment/processing tool.

Thanks, but it still requires that you install and learn the Adobe
software, which I neither have nor want.

Please explain how it works stand-alone - do you mean without the Adobe
software?
--
Cheers,
David

Joe Makowiec

On 15 Jun 2013 in rec.photo.digital, David Taylor wrote:

> On 15/06/2013 07:52, Savageduck wrote:
> []
>> The NIK Suite works with PS Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop, &
>> Aperture. Each also functions as a stand alone
>> adjustment/processing tool.

> Thanks, but it still requires that you install and learn the Adobe
> software, which I neither have nor want.
>
> Please explain how it works stand-alone - do you mean without the
> Adobe software?

Yes. You just start up the NIK software as you would any other piece of
software, open the image file, and work on it. You don't need any other
software installed, so NIK could be your sole image-processing suite.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

otter

On Jun 15, 2:45*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-06-15 00:33:37 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>said:

> >> the

> >> .

> >> Thanks, good to know.

> >> Googled Nik coupon and found it. *Now playing with my new software.
> >> So far, I like it.

> > It is well worthwhile to check some of the training videos from the
> > learn section of their website.

> This one deals with brushing in the effect.
> <http://education.niksoftware.com/tra...inars/archives...

Thanks, that is very helpful. I can see a fair bit of learning curve
ahead.

peternew

On 6/14/2013 10:09 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
>> entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
>>
>> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

> You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
> started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
> an additional $20 off through the NIK site. So, I bought it at
> $129.00.
>
> So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
> images. (My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
> works a treat.
>
> I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
> black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop. I've tried Color
> Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it. It seems better for
> special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
> processing.
>
> I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet. I understand the basics, but I'm
> going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.
>
> I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
> railroad boxcar. Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
> and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
> reveal only the door. I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...06-12-1-XL.jpg
>
> This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
> better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.

I like it, though I would have removed the sign.
Here's my version:
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

--
PeterN