Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > serious price drop on Nik software

serious price drop on Nik software

David Taylor

On 15/06/2013 15:13, Savageduck wrote:
[]
> Stand-alone means just what it says. I can use any of modules to adjust
> and/or enhance a RAW or JPEG image file within the parameters of the
> particular module. Just open the image file in, say NIK Viveza 2, and
> you are able to make the adjustments that program provides. If you don't
> install in Photoshop or PSE you don't have the convenience of adjustment
> layers and layer masks, but you still have the NIK control points to
> provide a reasonable degree of selective adjustment.
>
> None of the NIK software provides editing capability, only adjustment.
>
> ...and, yes it will work without any Adobe software, or Apple's
> Aperture, but to do so seems such a waste.

Thanks. As I said, the Web site is unclear on this point. The idea of
having to open all those separate tools isn't all that appealing!
--
Cheers,
David

peternew

On 6/15/2013 12:32 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
>> : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
>> :
>> : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>
>>
>> So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on stiffer
>> competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh.

> nope.
>
> not only are they two different products, but google cut the price well
> before adobe announced the creative cloud. two entirely separate
> events.

The price was dropped in the Fall of 2011?
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/10/adobe-cloud-strategy/>

--
PeterN
Never let the facts get in the way of an argument.

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
: > : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
: > :
: > : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>
: >
: > So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on
: > stiffer competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last
: > laugh.
:
: nope.
:
: not only are they two different products, but google cut the price well
: before adobe announced the creative cloud. two entirely separate
: events.

Your relationship to Adobe: paid stooge or toadying fanboi? If it were the
former, I can't believe they'd let you be so obvious about it. So I guess it
must be the latter.

Bob

nospam

In article <51bca22d$0$8351$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, peternew
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
> >> : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
> >> :
> >> : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>
> >>
> >> So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on
> >> stiffer competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh.

> > nope.
> >
> > not only are they two different products, but google cut the price well
> > before adobe announced the creative cloud. two entirely separate
> > events.

> The price was dropped in the Fall of 2011?
> <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/10/adobe-cloud-strategy/>

which would have been before google bought nik last fall.

the price was dropped this past march, two months before adobe
announced *only* creative cloud, which is what bob was referring to.
that's when his hatred for all things adobe skyrocketed.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> : > : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
> : > : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
> : > :
> : > : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>
> : >
> : > So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on
> : > stiffer competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last
> : > laugh.
> :
> : nope.
> :
> : not only are they two different products, but google cut the price well
> : before adobe announced the creative cloud. two entirely separate
> : events.
>
> Your relationship to Adobe: paid stooge or toadying fanboi?

resorting to insults?

two can play. you're an adobe hater, so much that you twist everything
into anti-adobe, even when it has nothing to do with adobe. that's how
deep your hatred runs. this is entirely what *google* did.

you are obviously unaware that nik software works with apple software
and can also run standalone. no adobe software required at all.

> If it were the
> former, I can't believe they'd let you be so obvious about it. So I guess it
> must be the latter.

you're wrong, again. it's neither.

google bought nik last fall and reduced its price last march.

if anything, that would cause people to want to use adobe or apple
software *more* than they would otherwise. that's an odd way to
compete, by driving up usage of the other company's product. it's
ludicrous.

the price cut also happened two months *before* adobe announced the
subscription only plan and the purchase well before that, so what
google did obviously had nothing to do with anything adobe did.

nospam

In article <2013061514071497157-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> The price was dropped in the Fall of 2011?
> >> <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/10/adobe-cloud-strategy/>

> > which would have been before google bought nik last fall.

> Note the date on that story, 12/10/2012. So, Fall of 2012 not 2011,
> another of Peter's typos.

good catch. missed that.

i was thinking he was referring to adobe having offered creative cloud
for the past year alongside the traditional purchase plan.

> It is also worth noting Peter's "?" which I
> believe brings up the introduction of Adobe's rental model which was an
> option to license purchase back then.

right, they offered both subscription and purchase. now they only offer
subscription which has sent the haters into a tizzy.

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > : > : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
: > : > : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
: > : > :
: > : > : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>
: > : >
[...]

I'm surprised to learn that I'm an Adobe hater. I've never used any of their
photo editing products, so I have no particular opinion of them. I've always
assumed that the time might come when I'd need Photoshop, but it never has.
Their new pricing policy probably makes it less likely that I'll ever get it,
but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

: you are obviously unaware that nik software works with apple software
: and can also run standalone. no adobe software required at all.

Where did I mention Nik software? I was talking about you acting like an Adobe
fanboi. To the best of my recollection, I never heard of Nik software until
this thread. When someone first brought it up, I thought he was talking about
Nikon's proprietary photo editor.

: > If it were the
: > former, I can't believe they'd let you be so obvious about it. So I guess it
: > must be the latter.
:
: you're wrong, again. it's neither.
:
: google bought nik last fall and reduced its price last march.
:
: if anything, that would cause people to want to use adobe or apple
: software *more* than they would otherwise. that's an odd way to
: compete, by driving up usage of the other company's product. it's
: ludicrous.

Now you're talking as though *you've* forgotten that Nik can run standalone.

: the price cut also happened two months *before* adobe announced the
: subscription only plan and the purchase well before that, so what
: google did obviously had nothing to do with anything adobe did.

Aren't you one of those who told us that EVERYBODY knew a year ago that Adobe
was planning this pricing change? Now you're saying that Google didn't know?
How likely is that?

Bob

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> : you are obviously unaware that nik software works with apple software
> : and can also run standalone. no adobe software required at all.
>
> Where did I mention Nik software?

in your initial post:
> : > : > : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
> : > : > : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.

> I was talking about you acting like an Adobe
> fanboi. To the best of my recollection, I never heard of Nik software until
> this thread. When someone first brought it up, I thought he was talking about
> Nikon's proprietary photo editor.

yet you somehow thought that it's competition for photoshop, without
knowing anything about it?? um, ok.

> : > If it were the
> : > former, I can't believe they'd let you be so obvious about it. So I guess
> : > it must be the latter.
> :
> : you're wrong, again. it's neither.
> :
> : google bought nik last fall and reduced its price last march.
> :
> : if anything, that would cause people to want to use adobe or apple
> : software *more* than they would otherwise. that's an odd way to
> : compete, by driving up usage of the other company's product. it's
> : ludicrous.
>
> Now you're talking as though *you've* forgotten that Nik can run standalone.

your reading comprehension is about as good as tony and peter.

scroll up and you'll see that i explicitly mentioned standalone (copied
below because you missed it the first time). i did not forget at all.
> : you are obviously unaware that nik software works with apple software
> : and can also run standalone. no adobe software required at all.

the bizarre part is you think nik is somehow competition to photoshop.

> : the price cut also happened two months *before* adobe announced the
> : subscription only plan and the purchase well before that, so what
> : google did obviously had nothing to do with anything adobe did.
>
> Aren't you one of those who told us that EVERYBODY knew a year ago that Adobe
> was planning this pricing change?

no.

> Now you're saying that Google didn't know?
> How likely is that?

extremely likely.

nobody outside of adobe had any idea that adobe was going to switch to
subscription-only prior to the announcement last month. that includes
google.

everyone assumed there would be a cs7 in addition to creative cloud.

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 23:35:57 -0700 (PDT), otter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jun 14, 9:09*pm, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
>> >entire Nk suite for $149. *this represents a drastic price drop.

>> ><http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

>> You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
>> started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
>> an additional $20 off through the NIK site. *So, I bought it at
>> $129.00.
>>
>> So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
>> images. *(My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
>> works a treat.
>>
>> I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
>> black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop. *I've tried Color
>> Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it. *It seems better for
>> special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
>> processing.
>>
>> I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet. *I understand the basics, but I'm
>> going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.
>>
>> I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
>> railroad boxcar. *Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
>> and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
>> reveal only the door. *I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...-442j3mX/0/XL/...
>>
>> This one was really for practice. *I'd like the same shot with some
>> better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

>Tony, no criticism, but just curious. Why didn't you just add a layer
>mask to the Nik treated layer and blend it directly with the
>background layer, rather than duplicating the background layer,

Primarily, because I didn't think of doing it that way. I just did
it the way that came to mind first.

Without trying your suggestion, I don't think I'd want to. The way I
did it leaves the NIK layer unmolested. If I think later that I'd
like to do the NIK layer differently, I can re-do a NIK treatment and
still use my masked layer. I can do several NIK treatments and view
each through the layer mask by turning layers off and on.

Your way may be better. Every time I think I know something about PS
I read about some new or better way to do what I've been doing. There
doesn't seem to be a "right" way to do anything; there are several
"right" ways.

I was just reading an article earlier today about using "blend if",
but haven't put it into practice. I'm weak in using this tool.

Photoshop is a constant learning experience for me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Where did you find the online coupon?

I really can't remember which site I found it on, but there are
several sites out there with discount codes. Here's just one where
you can get the full package for $126.75.

http://www.bongobytes.com/photograph...on-code-32.htm

Note that you order directly from NIK but add this code to your order.
This place may get a kickback from NIK, but that's OK with me. As
long as I'm ordering from a known source, I'm cool with it.

Here's another:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/niksoftware.com

Again, the actual order is placed at the NIK website and the code is
added to that order.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL