Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > serious price drop on Nik software

serious price drop on Nik software

peternew

On 6/15/2013 3:06 AM, otter wrote:
> On Jun 15, 1:49 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Tony, no criticism, but just curious. Why didn't you just add a layer
>>> mask to the Nik treated layer and blend it directly with the
>>> background layer, rather than duplicating the background layer,
>>> placing it above the Nik layer adding a mask to it and then blending?

>> Hell! With any of the NIK suite modules all you have to do is
>> selectively apply the effect with a brush, as the NIK application adds
>> a layer mask of it own.

> Thanks, good to know.
>

>>> Where did you find the online coupon?

> Googled Nik coupon and found it. Now playing with my new software.
> So far, I like it.

I got my software before the price drop. But, That's life.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:13:46 +0200, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <2013061418575577923-savageduck1
>@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck says...
>>
>> On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>> > i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
>> > the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
>> >
>> > <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

>> For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

>What is so special about it?

That's a good question. It is "special" if, and only if, the features
in the modules are features that interest you. If you don't do any
editing beyond the basics of cropping and some minor adjustments,
there's nothing special about it. If you do do some extensive
editing, the modules offer some advantages.

BTW, "it" is a package of different modules, each with some specific
application. The modules can be purchased separately, but the current
offer is all the modules for $149 plus whatever extra discount you can
find.

I do a lot of conversion to black and white. I can do this with many
programs (some of which are free), but I choose to do the conversions
using Photoshop. In Photoshop (PS, CS, or Elements), any change I
make in contrast to the image is global. Adjusting contrast adjusts
the entire image. Using the Silver Efex Pro NIK module, I can adjust
contrast in localized areas of the image by using Control Points.

Also, Silver Efex Pro allows you to view what the image would look
like using 20-some presets, and each of the presets is adjustable
globally or in specific areas using Control Points. Additional
presets can be set and made by the user.

I can, by the way, get to the same place in Photoshop without NIK. I
can get the effect of adjusting contrast only in certain areas in
Photoshop by using a Layer Mask and masking in or out specific areas.
I can also download Actions (or make my own) that work the same as the
presets.

The NIK module just makes it a bit easier for me to play around with
different conversion results. It doesn't do anything I can't do
without it, but I can run through each preset very quickly to see
which effect works the best. I can easily pinpoint adjustments.

Even with the NIK set, I still do most of my conversions without using
the Silver Efex Pro module. It's there if I want to use it, though.

Lightroom also has some black and white presets (without control
points), but I don't use LR for editing so I'll not comment on any
comparison.

I'm not trying to sell you NIK. Actually, if you have to ask what it
is, you probably aren't in the target group that would buy the set.
All I'm trying to is give you a simple explanation of why some think
it's "special".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

peternew

On 6/15/2013 5:13 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <2013061418575577923-savageduck1
> @REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck says...
>>
>> On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
>>> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
>>>
>>> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

>> For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

> What is so special about it?

In theory ther is noting you can do with it, or any PS plugin, that you
cannot do with PH. However, I think it is a lot easier to use, to get
the effects you want. I suspect Google bought it for the u point
technology, which makes masking a lot easier. Combine it with LR and
Elements, and you greatly increase functionality. Try the free download
for yourself.

--
PeterN

peternew

On 6/15/2013 2:36 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 15/06/2013 02:57, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
>>> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
>>>
>>> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

>> For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

> .. only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
> is a set of plug-ins?

It also works with LR, and Essentials.

--
PeterN

David Taylor

On 15/06/2013 13:03, Joe Makowiec wrote:
[]
> Yes. You just start up the NIK software as you would any other piece of
> software, open the image file, and work on it. You don't need any other
> software installed, so NIK could be your sole image-processing suite.

Thanks - that's certainly not at all clear from the Web site. Having
now looked in more detail, I see very little that I can't already do
with my existing single program, so I'll pass the shopping opportunity
this time.
--
Cheers,
David

Robert Coe

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 08:55:34 -0400, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 6/14/2013 10:09 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: > This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
: > better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
: >
:
: I like it, though I would have removed the sign.
: Here's my version:
: <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

More artistic image, less interesting shot.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
: the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
:
: <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on stiffer
competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh.

Just an example, perhaps, (Nikon vs Canon is another) of why photographic
equipment is one of the few industries left where capitalism works more or
less as intended.

Bob

peternew

On 6/15/2013 10:17 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 08:55:34 -0400, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : On 6/14/2013 10:09 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> : > This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
> : > better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
> : >
> :
> : I like it, though I would have removed the sign.
> : Here's my version:
> : <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>
>
> More artistic image, less interesting shot.
>
> Bob

That's one of the differences between our approaches. As long as I
"know" your work, you have a penchant for the realistic. I tend to
modify the realistic. That doesn't make either of our preferences
right, just different.

--
PeterN

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
> : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
> :
> : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>
>
> So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on stiffer
> competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh.

nope.

not only are they two different products, but google cut the price well
before adobe announced the creative cloud. two entirely separate
events.

peternew

On 6/15/2013 10:26 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-15 06:48:29 -0700, peternew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> .. only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
>>> is a set of plug-ins?

>> It also works with LR, and Essentials.

> Elements not "Essentials".

Yah I was just looking at Painter Essentials.

--
PeterN