Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Version Control Software

Version Control Software

MRAB

On 13/06/2013 07:00, cutems93 wrote:
> Thank you everyone for such helpful responses! Actually, I have one
> more question. Does anybody have experience with closed source
> version control software? If so, why did you buy it instead of
> downloading open source software? Does closed source vcs have some
> benefits over open source in some part?

I've used Microsoft SourceSafe. I didn't like it (does anyone? ).

rusi

On Jun 13, 4:26*pm, MRAB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 13/06/2013 07:00, cutems93 wrote:> Thank you everyone for such helpfulresponses! Actually, I have one
> > more question. Does anybody have experience with closed source
> > version control software? If so, why did you buy it instead of
> > downloading open source software? Does closed source vcs have some
> > benefits over open source in some part?

> I've used Microsoft SourceSafe. I didn't like it (does anyone? ).

It seems to me that even MS is realizing that SourceSafe's time is
over:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/30/mic...r-and-service/

rusi

On Jun 13, 7:30*am, Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You should be wary of GitHub, a very popular Git hosting site. It uses
> what amount to proprietary protocols, which encourage using GitHub's
> specific interface instead of native Git for your operations and hide a
> lot of the needless complexity; but this results in a VCS repository
> that is difficult to use *without* being tied to that specific site,
> killing one of the best reasons to use a DVCS in the first place.

bitbucket -- originally only Hg based -- now supports Hg or git.
And for small private (non open source) repos its more affordable
http://tilomitra.com/bitbucket-vs-github/

Tim Chase

On 2013-06-13 10:20, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> 13.06.13 05:41, Tim Chase написав(ла):
> > -hg: last I checked, can't do octopus merges (merges with more
> > than two parents)
> >
> > +git: can do octopus merges

> Actually it is possible in Mercurial.

Okay, then that moots this pro/con pair. I seem to recall that at
one point in history, Mercurial required you to do pairwise merges
rather than letting you merge multiple branches in one pass.

-tkc

Rui Maciel

Roy Smith wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> cutems93 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for an appropriate version control software for python
>> development, and need professionals' help to make a good decision.
>> Currently I am considering four software: git, SVN, CVS, and Mercurial.

> CVS is hopelessly obsolete. SVN pretty much the same.

I would say that SVN does have its uses, but managing software repositories
isn't one of them due to the wealth of available alternatives out there
which are far better than it.

> Git and Mercurial are essentially identical in terms of features; which
> you like is as much a matter of personal preference as anything else.
> Pick one and learn it.

I agree, but there is a feature Git provides right out of the box which is
extremelly useful but Mercurial supports only as a non-standard module: the
git stash feature.

Rui Maciel

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Chase <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2013-06-13 10:20, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> > 13.06.13 05:41, Tim Chase написав(ла):
> > > -hg: last I checked, can't do octopus merges (merges with more
> > > than two parents)
> > >
> > > +git: can do octopus merges

> > Actually it is possible in Mercurial.

> Okay, then that moots this pro/con pair. I seem to recall that at
> one point in history, Mercurial required you to do pairwise merges
> rather than letting you merge multiple branches in one pass.
>
> -tkc

So, I guess the next questions is, why would you *want* to merge
multiple branches in one pass? What's the use case? I've been using
VCSs for a long time (I've used RCS, CVS, ClearCase, SVN (briefly),
Perforce, Git, and hg). I can't ever remember a time when I've wanted
to do such a thing. Maybe it's the kind of thing that makes sense on a
huge distributed project with hundreds of people committing patches
willy-nilly?

How would hg even represent such a multi-way merge? Doesn't every
revision have exactly one or two parents?

Grant Edwards

On 2013-06-13, Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> cutems93 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I am looking for an appropriate version control software for python
>> development, and need professionals' help to make a good decision.

>> Currently I am considering four software: git, SVN, CVS, and
>> Mercurial.

> These days there is no good reason to use CVS nor Subversion for new
> projects. They are not distributed (the D in DVCS), and they have
> specific design flaws that often cause insidious problems with common
> version control workflows. As a salient example, branching and merging
> are so painful with these tools that many users have learned the
> terrible habit of never doing it at all.

I agree that branch/merge handling in svn is primitive compared to git
(haven't used hg enough to comment).

The last time we made the choice (4-5 years ago), Windows support for
get, bzr, and hg was definitely lacking compared to svn. The lack of
something like tortoisesvn for hg/git/bzr was a killer. It looks like
the situation has improved since then, but I'd be curious to hear from
people who do their development on Windows.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I wonder if there's
at anything GOOD on tonight?

Chris Angelico

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The last time we made the choice (4-5 years ago), Windows support for
> get, bzr, and hg was definitely lacking compared to svn. The lack of
> something like tortoisesvn for hg/git/bzr was a killer. It looks like
> the situation has improved since then, but I'd be curious to hear from
> people who do their development on Windows.

I do almost exclusively Linux dev, but occasionally nip onto Windows
for one reason or another (possibly inside a virtual machine). It's
possible to get git for Windows, including gitk and 'git gui' (not
sure about any other graphical tools, they're the only two I use), but
the most convenient way to use them is from a ported bash.
Fortunately, the installer will provide all of that, putting a 'Git
Bash' entry into the Start menu, and for someone who's come from Linux
anyway, working in bash is quite welcome.

ChrisA

Grant Edwards

On 2013-06-13, Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The last time we made the choice (4-5 years ago), Windows support for
>> get, bzr, and hg was definitely lacking compared to svn. The lack of
>> something like tortoisesvn for hg/git/bzr was a killer. It looks like
>> the situation has improved since then, but I'd be curious to hear from
>> people who do their development on Windows.

> I do almost exclusively Linux dev, but occasionally nip onto Windows
> for one reason or another (possibly inside a virtual machine). It's
> possible to get git for Windows, including gitk and 'git gui' (not
> sure about any other graphical tools, they're the only two I use), but
> the most convenient way to use them is from a ported bash.
> Fortunately, the installer will provide all of that, putting a 'Git
> Bash' entry into the Start menu, and for someone who's come from Linux
> anyway, working in bash is quite welcome.

Unfortunately, something that requires typing commands would not fly.
I mostly use svn via command line and sometimes via meld, but for some
others (even one Linux developer), if it can't be done done entirely
from a GUI, then it isn't going to get done.

If it wasn't for Cygwin, I'd never be able to accomplish much of
anything in Windows.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Oh my GOD -- the
at SUN just fell into YANKEE

Chris Angelico

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2013-06-13, Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I do almost exclusively Linux dev, but occasionally nip onto Windows
>> for one reason or another (possibly inside a virtual machine). It's
>> possible to get git for Windows, including gitk and 'git gui' (not
>> sure about any other graphical tools, they're the only two I use)

> Unfortunately, something that requires typing commands would not fly.
> I mostly use svn via command line and sometimes via meld, but for some
> others (even one Linux developer), if it can't be done done entirely
> from a GUI, then it isn't going to get done.
>
> If it wasn't for Cygwin, I'd never be able to accomplish much of
> anything in Windows.

Check out 'git gui' then - and in the Windows build, that's in the
Start menu directly. I usually use git gui only for partial commits
(it's more convenient than 'git add -p' when the parts to commit and
the parts to not-commit are right next to each other), but it can be
your full console. For those who like the graphical things in life,
it's a good choice.

That and gitk for viewing the repo. I use gitk *all the time*, at work
and on my own projects, because it is excellent. (Actually I use a
minorly-patched gitk; must remember to submit the patch upstream some
day.)

ChrisA