Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > System mechanic

System mechanic

Andy Petro

Anybody tried System Mechanic. Should I get it ?

Paul

Andy Petro wrote:

> Anybody tried System Mechanic. Should I get it ?

What is attractive about the feature set ?

You already have half of that installed on your system now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Mechanic

The trick to products like this, is finding
reviews on the web (by real customers), that
are not sponsored by the company writing the software.
If the software is trashing computers, you'll figure
it out soon enough.

For example here, look through the customer reviews,
avoid all the $0.50 reviews (reviews filed by paid
reviewers), find a review where the customer is
****ed off. Average customer rating here is 3 of 5 stars.

http://download.cnet.com/System-Mech...-10030183.html

I wouldn't know anything about a product like this,
because I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. If the
company cannot explain, in plain English, what it is
actually doing for me, I'm not installing it.

*******

Another point about stuff like this. Product "suites" are
hardly ever a good idea.

If you need a Registry Cleaner, buy just a Registry Cleaner.
If you need a Defragmenter, buy just a Defragmenter.
If you need a Firewall, just buy a Firewall tool.
If you need SpyWare Protection, get a product that gives you just that.
If you need AntiVirus Protection, buy an AV product (not a suite)

By doing it that way, one "suite" will not interact with
another "suite" in unexpected ways.

The trend of these companies, is to sell product
suites, like pumping water into a steak to make
it weigh more, so you pay more for it. And it's up
to you to battle this trend, with focused purchases
of just the tool you need.

This is one reason I have Imgburn on my machine, to
burn a CD or DVD, whereas I would not think of buying
a current version of Nero (100MB+ software suite). It's
obscene how much junk you get from suites.

If the product advertising won't tell you want
parts of your computer it will be messing with,
you don't want it on your computer. And if it does
tell you, and gives details, there is a good chance
you can find a standalone product that does the
same thing.

Paul

System Mechanic install Tony Computer Support 9 01-18-2007 06:24 PM
System Mechanic 6 Tab Computer Support 3 08-14-2006 10:11 PM
System Mechanic, problems? JF Computer Support 3 06-09-2006 03:11 PM
system mechanic: *x@y* Computer Support 10 11-21-2005 01:18 AM
System Mechanic or System Mechanic Pro? Adriano Computer Information 0 09-21-2003 01:34 PM

Advertisments