Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > A few questiosn about encoding

A few questiosn about encoding

Neil Cerutti

On 2013-06-14, Antoon Pardon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Now there is nothing wrong in being ignorant. The question is
> how do you proceed from there. The answer is not by starting a
> project that is far above your ability and pestering the
> experts in the hope they will spoon feed you.

A major issue is this: the spoon-feeding he does receive is
unefficacious. Smart, well-meaning, articulate people's time is
getting squandered.

I read the responses. I've learned things from them. But Nikos
has not. And once a discussion devolves to reitteration even that
value is lost.

And perhaps worst of all, there's none of the closure or
vicarious catharsis that usually comes from a well-designed
educational transaction.

--
Neil Cerutti

Mark Lawrence

On 14/06/2013 13:58, Heiko Wundram wrote:
> Am 14.06.2013 14:45, schrieb Nick the Gr33k:
>> we are all benefit out of this.

> Let's nominate you for a nobel prize, saviour of python-list!

The Nobel prize is unsuited in a situation like this, maybe the ACM
Turing Award?

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker

Mark Lawrence

Ian Kelly

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:09 AM, rusi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Since identifying a disease by the right name is key to finding a
> cure:
> Nikos is not trolling or spamming; he is help-vampiring.

I think he's a very dedicated troll elaborately disguised as a help
vampire. Remember that one of the names he previously used to post to
this list was "Ferrous Cranus".

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...rouscranus.htm

Chris Angelico

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Nick the Gr33k <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, my biggest successes up until now where to build 3 websites utilizing
> database saves and retrievals
>
> in PHP
> in Perl
> and later in Python
>
> with absolute ignorance of
>
> Apache Configuration:
> CGI:
> Linux:
>
> with just basic knowledge of linux.
> I'am very proud of it.

Translation:

"I just built a car. I don't know anything about internal combustion
engines or road rules or metalwork, and I'm very proud of the
monstrosity that I'm now selling to my friends."

Would you buy a car built by someone who proudly announces that he has
no clue how to build one? Why do you sell web hosting services when
you have no clue how to provide them?

ChrisA

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:06:55 +0200
Heiko Wundram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Come on now, this is _so_ obviously trolling, it's not even remotely
> funny anymore. Why doesn't killfiling work with the mailing list
> version of the python list?

A big problem, other than Mr. Support's shenanigans with his email
address, is that even those of us who seem to have successfully
*plonked* him get the responses to him. The biggest issue with a troll
isn't so much the annoying emails from him but the amplified slew of

The answer is to always make sure that you include the previous poster
in the reply as a Cc or To. I filter out any email that has the string
"(E-Mail Removed)" in a header so I would also filter out the
replies if people would follow that simple rule.

I have suggested this before but the push back I get is that then
people would get two copies of the email, one to them and one to the
list. My answer is simple. Get a proper email system that filters out
duplicates. Is there an email client out there that does not have this
facility?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> | Democracy is three wolves
IM: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), VOIP: sip:(E-Mail Removed)

Chris Angelico

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The answer is to always make sure that you include the previous poster
> in the reply as a Cc or To. I filter out any email that has the string
> "(E-Mail Removed)" in a header so I would also filter out the
> replies if people would follow that simple rule.
>
> I have suggested this before but the push back I get is that then
> people would get two copies of the email, one to them and one to the
> list. My answer is simple. Get a proper email system that filters out
> duplicates. Is there an email client out there that does not have this
> facility?

The main downside to that is not the first response, to
somebody@somewhere and python-list, but the subsequent ones. Do you
include everyone's addresses? And if so, how do they then get off the
list? (This is a serious consideration. I had some very angry people
asking me to unsubscribe them from a (private) mailman list I run, but
they weren't subscribed at all - they were being cc'd.)

I prefer to simply mail the list. You should be able to mute entire
threads, and he doesn't start more than a couple a day usually.

ChrisA

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 03:31:12 +1000
Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > I have suggested this before but the push back I get is that then
> > people would get two copies of the email, one to them and one to the
> > list. My answer is simple. Get a proper email system that filters
> > out duplicates. Is there an email client out there that does not
> > have this facility?

> The main downside to that is not the first response, to
> somebody@somewhere and python-list, but the subsequent ones. Do you
> include everyone's addresses? And if so, how do they then get off the

No, I think Ccing the From is enough. Other than the OP who is already
*plonked* replies to the replies tend to have at least a modicum of
information.

> I prefer to simply mail the list. You should be able to mute entire
> threads, and he doesn't start more than a couple a day usually.

But then I have to deal with each thread. I don't want to deal with
them at all.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> | Democracy is three wolves
IM: (E-Mail Removed), VOIP: sip:(E-Mail Removed)

Tim Chase

On 2013-06-14 13:56, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > I prefer to simply mail the list. You should be able to mute
> > entire threads, and he doesn't start more than a couple a day
> > usually.

> But then I have to deal with each thread. I don't want to deal with
> them at all.

At least Thunderbird had the ability to set up a filter of the form
"If the sender matches '(E-Mail Removed)' then kill this thread" so
the thread-killing (or sub-thread killing) was automatic.

I set that up for Xah posts and my life was far better.

I've since switched to Claws for my mail and miss that kill-thread
functionality. :-/

-tkc

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:00:17 -0500
Tim Chase <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I set that up for Xah posts and my life was far better.

Has he disappeared or is my filtering just really successful?

> I've since switched to Claws for my mail and miss that kill-thread
> functionality. :-/

Heh. Exactly what I am using.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> | Democracy is three wolves
IM: (E-Mail Removed), VOIP: sip:(E-Mail Removed)

Grant Edwards

On 2013-06-14, Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The answer is to always make sure that you include the previous poster
>> in the reply as a Cc or To. I filter out any email that has the string
>> "(E-Mail Removed)" in a header so I would also filter out the
>> replies if people would follow that simple rule.
>>
>> I have suggested this before but the push back I get is that then
>> people would get two copies of the email, one to them and one to the
>> list. My answer is simple. Get a proper email system that filters out
>> duplicates. Is there an email client out there that does not have this
>> facility?

> The main downside to that is not the first response, to
> somebody@somewhere and python-list, but the subsequent ones. Do you
> include everyone's addresses? And if so, how do they then get off the
> list? (This is a serious consideration. I had some very angry people
> asking me to unsubscribe them from a (private) mailman list I run, but
> they weren't subscribed at all - they were being cc'd.)

I think the answer is to automatically kill all threads stared by
"him".

Unfortunately, I don't know if that's possible in most newsreaders.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! A dwarf is passing out
at somewhere in Detroit!