Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > hidden style sheet

hidden style sheet

Gus Richter

On 6/9/2013 1:59 AM, baldo wrote:
> Is it possible to hide a style sheet for all browsers?

You mean something like this?

<http://tinyurl.com/kep3z79>

--
Gus

Jonathan N. Little

Gus Richter wrote:
> On 6/9/2013 1:59 AM, baldo wrote:
>> Is it possible to hide a style sheet for all browsers?

> You mean something like this?
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/kep3z79>

Obfuscated, but not hidden:

/* Hidden in plain sight */
article {
margin:auto;
font-size:100%;
width:50%;
background-color:#FFFF99;
color: red;
margin-top:10em;
padding: 0 .5em;
border:1px dashed #f00;
}

p {
text-align:center;
font-size:110%;
}
em {
color:blue;
}
#interrobang
{
Font-size:200%;
}

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Gus Richter

On 6/14/2013 12:14 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Gus Richter wrote:
>> On 6/9/2013 1:59 AM, baldo wrote:
>>> Is it possible to hide a style sheet for all browsers?

>> You mean something like this?
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/kep3z79>
>>

> Obfuscated, but not hidden:

Many years ago this same question arose in Blooberry's chat which is no
longer there. In fact the Blooberry site itself is no longer maintained.
In any case, I submitted a similar page as a lark back then. It turned
out, to my surprise, that everyone was very confused and asked how I did
it (without the many tools available today, there was only Notepad back
then).

I now submitted this in the same spirit. I wonder if anyone nowadays
finds this initially surprising and confusing.

--
Gus

Jonathan N. Little

Gus Richter wrote:
> On 6/14/2013 12:14 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Gus Richter wrote:
>>>

>>> You mean something like this?
>>>
>>> <http://tinyurl.com/kep3z79>
>>>

>> Obfuscated, but not hidden:

> Many years ago this same question arose in Blooberry's chat which is no
> longer there. In fact the Blooberry site itself is no longer maintained.
> In any case, I submitted a similar page as a lark back then. It turned
> out, to my surprise, that everyone was very confused and asked how I did
> it (without the many tools available today, there was only Notepad back
> then).
>
> I now submitted this in the same spirit. I wonder if anyone nowadays
> finds this initially surprising and confusing.

No special tools required. View source has always been there that I
recall since the first Netscape Navigator...I don't know about Mosaic, I
never used it.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

On 6/14/2013 5:53 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Gus Richter wrote:

>>> Obfuscated, but not hidden:

>> Many years ago this same question arose in Blooberry's chat which is no
>> longer there. In fact the Blooberry site itself is no longer maintained.
>> In any case, I submitted a similar page as a lark back then. It turned
>> out, to my surprise, that everyone was very confused and asked how I did
>> it (without the many tools available today, there was only Notepad back
>> then).
>>
>> I now submitted this in the same spirit. I wonder if anyone nowadays
>> finds this initially surprising and confusing.
>>

> No special tools required. View source has always been there that I
> recall since the first Netscape Navigator...I don't know about Mosaic, I
> never used it.

Right on. The straightforward way. But you see, many/most people
will/did not think of the scrolling part.

I was thinking more in terms of today's developer tools (e.g. Firebug)
which is overkill in this instance.

--
Gus

dorayme

In article <kpe51f$dbe$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Gus Richter wrote:
> > On 6/9/2013 1:59 AM, baldo wrote:
> >> Is it possible to hide a style sheet for all browsers?

> > You mean something like this?
> >
> > <http://tinyurl.com/kep3z79>
> >

> Obfuscated, but not hidden:
>
> /* Hidden in plain sight */
> article {
> margin:auto;
> font-size:100%;
> width:50%;
> background-color:#FFFF99;
> color: red;
> margin-top:10em;
> padding: 0 .5em;
> border:1px dashed #f00;
> }
>
> p {
> text-align:center;
> font-size:110%;
> }
> em {
> color:blue;
> }
> #interrobang
> {
> Font-size:200%;
> }

It's actually more complicated due to browser differences. On my
Safari, both yours and Richter's just shows up in View source. In
Firefox, Richter's does not but yours does.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <kpe51f$dbe$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gus Richter wrote:
>>>

>>> You mean something like this?
>>>
>>> <http://tinyurl.com/kep3z79>
>>>

>> Obfuscated, but not hidden:
>>
>> /* Hidden in plain sight */
>> article {
>> margin:auto;
>> font-size:100%;
>> width:50%;
>> background-color:#FFFF99;
>> color: red;
>> margin-top:10em;
>> padding: 0 .5em;
>> border:1px dashed #f00;
>> }
>>
>> p {
>> text-align:center;
>> font-size:110%;
>> }
>> em {
>> color:blue;
>> }
>> #interrobang
>> {
>> Font-size:200%;
>> }

> It's actually more complicated due to browser differences. On my
> Safari, both yours and Richter's just shows up in View source. In
> Firefox, Richter's does not but yours does.

No, it all there in all browser, you have to scroll because he put
leading whitespace....it's like the folks that try to hide source with
50 or so leading carriage returns.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

On 6/14/2013 10:54 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> No, it all there in all browser, you have to scroll because he put
>> leading whitespace....it's like the folks that try to hide source with
>> 50 or so leading carriage returns.

> There appears to be about 250 leading spaces in Gus's lines. When I view
> source in his page with Firefox, the CSS wraps, so there is no hiding at
> all. I didn't even notice the excess spacing the first time I looked, as
> the CSS was right there in front of me...

Yup, browsers act differently I see. It didn't used to a bunch of years
ago. For some of them it seems to depend on the View Source Width. For
me Firefox renders as it did in the old days; nicely tucked off to the
right accessible by scrolling. In any case, this was not meant as a
serious thing, only in fun.

--
Gus

dorayme

In article <kpgjq0$lk4$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <kpe51f$dbe$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > It's actually more complicated due to browser differences. On my
> > Safari, both yours and Richter's just shows up in View source. In
> > Firefox, Richter's does not but yours does.
> >

> No,

Yes, OK, but in my Safari, *no horiz scrolling is needed*, the browser
sees through it and brings it all to the left and it is visible from
the get go.

--
dorayme