Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Good bootstrap application to learn C for what C is intended for?

Good bootstrap application to learn C for what C is intended for?

Seebs

On 2013-06-06, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> That /is/ a good idea (the general one: learning C by using it for
> extensions to your favorite scripting language). We should remember
> to suggest that the next time someone asks.

It is. And I quite like Lua, too.

-s
--
Copyright 2013, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Autism Speaks does not speak for me. http://autisticadvocacy.org/

Ivan Shmakov

[Cross-posting to news:alt.comp.lang.lua, just to make keeping
the track of it easier.]

>> That /is/ a good idea (the general one: learning C by using it for
>> extensions to your favorite scripting language). We should remember
>> to suggest that the next time someone asks.

> It is. And I quite like Lua, too.

I wonder, what's so good in Lua specifically?

Indeed, it seems to be one of the first "embeddable" languages
to appear, but now that a number of them (including a variety of
Lisp derivatives, Python, and of course Tcl) has reached the
"mature" state, I don't quite understand, -- why Lua?

And personally, I tend to like Tcl for the purpose, mainly for
its well-designed FFI, its support for Unicode, and that it
looks like a mature language for years now.

(... But more than that, I like to embed C into HLL software,
such as that written in Perl, -- and not the other way around.)

PS. I hadn't yet the chance to say I'm glad to see you're back to
Usenet. So I do it now.

--
FSF associate member #7257

Tinxx

>That /is/ a good idea (the general one: learning C by using it for
>extensions to your favorite scripting language). We should remember
>to suggest that the next time someone asks.

I will. Yeah, I was also happy when I got that idea .

>I wonder, what's so good in Lua specifically?

Well, different people will each answer this question in their own way. Thereason I like Lua is that it is to some extend some meta-programming language. For instance, Lua is not object-oriented. But the table construct it is built on is that general that you can implement inheritance and message sends in Lua. I like languages that are simple and powerful .

-- Tinxx

BartC

"David Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> On 08/06/13 19:31, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>> "mature" state, I don't quite understand, -- why Lua?

> Lua is much smaller than Python (in terms of the language, the libraries
> and the implementation). If you need a powerful and flexible language
> with all the bells, whistles and libraries you could imagine, go for
> Python. But if you need something small, fast (for an interpreted
> language)

Using LUAJIT, some Lua benchmarks ran faster than their C counterparts!

--
Bartc