Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

nospam

In article <kpd306$7qd$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mayayana
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> |> The main difference
> | > is simply that they don't have a market and therefore can't
> | > attract developers to risk their time.
> |
> | However there's a lot of Windows out there and a lot of kids out there
> | and the Microsoft entry-level tools are free and quite good.
>
> The Metro apps are different. They can be
> written with javascript, C++, or .Net, but
> however it's done they're not Windows software,
> in the sense that they can't run in Windows
> itself -- only in the Metro tile UI of Windows,
> on Windows RT (which is Windows in name only),
> and on Windows phones. (As I understand it those
> various tile UIs don't take exactly the same
> software, but it's mainly port-able between
> the platforms.) So anyone who wants to write
> tile apps will need to learn a new system and
> buy tile UI products to test on. Meanwhile, MS
> needs to have all popular apps ported if they
> want to sell phones. It's not enough getting
> kids to write lots of silly diversion apps.

porting windows apps to phones & tablets without rethinking them is not
going to make them sell. that's what microsoft tried ten years ago and
it failed then and will fail again now.

tablets are a new paradigm and require new software with a new
interface, which means there's a new api.

microsoft's problem is having one operating system work on both, which
is an interesting idea in theory but it's not working out that well.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> That Adobe is the "standard" indicates the demand factor of the
> >> market. The market demands Adobe because Adobe offers the features
> >> that the market wants. Competitors are not barred in any way from
> >> developing similar features.

> >Well, if one of the features desired is "open a .psd file" then they are
> >barred. Microsoft at least saw the writing on the wall with that one
> >and opened up their document formats.

> I'm not aware of any prohibition that disallows any software developer
> from designing a program that opens .psd files. As I understand it,
> some extant programs other than Adobe's do just that. GIMP, for
> example.

gimp tries. it works for older psd files, but like everything about the
gimp, it's behind the times and doesn't support recent psd files.

peternew

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But If anyone supcribes to whatever CS verions they'll have, if a person
> decides to stick with that version and NOT upgrade to the lastest OS and
> adopbe decide to support only current OS's does that mean they'll remove my
> old CS from my computer because they don;t want to support it but will
> continue to charge me a subscription to adobe software what I can't use.

nothing is removed from your computer, however, you will need to pay to
keep it active.

older software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way.

Until Adobe decides to discontinue support.

nospam

In article <51bb9a42$0$8368$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, peternew
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > But If anyone supcribes to whatever CS verions they'll have, if a person
> > decides to stick with that version and NOT upgrade to the lastest OS and
> > adopbe decide to support only current OS's does that mean they'll remove my
> > old CS from my computer because they don;t want to support it but will
> > continue to charge me a subscription to adobe software what I can't use.

> nothing is removed from your computer, however, you will need to pay to
> keep it active.
>
> older software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way.

> Until Adobe decides to discontinue support.

wrong.

support has absolutely nothing to do with it. the software is *never*
removed from a computer unless the user explicitly deletes it.

subscription based software stops working until the subscription is
renewed. that's all.

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:55:46 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <51bb9a42$0$8368$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, peternew
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > But If anyone supcribes to whatever CS verions they'll have, if a person
>> > decides to stick with that version and NOT upgrade to the lastest OS and
>> > adopbe decide to support only current OS's does that mean they'll remove my
>> > old CS from my computer because they don;t want to support it but will
>> > continue to charge me a subscription to adobe software what I can't use.

>> nothing is removed from your computer, however, you will need to pay to
>> keep it active.
>>
>> older software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way.

>> Until Adobe decides to discontinue support.

>wrong.

What is "wrong" about Peter's statement?

Do you just automatically write "wrong" when replying to anything?

>support has absolutely nothing to do with it. the software is *never*
>removed from a computer unless the user explicitly deletes it.

There's no mention of removing software by Peter.

I don't know what "support" Peter is thinking of unless it's updates.
Adobe may very well discontinue update support of older versions of
CS. That's common in the industry.

I have programs on my computer that the source has made inactive. They
are 30 day trial versions that I never purchased and have never
bothered to delete.

>subscription based software stops working until the subscription is
>renewed. that's all.

Gee, it's *so* good to have an expert on tap.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> nothing is removed from your computer, however, you will need to pay to
> >> keep it active.
> >>
> >> older software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way.

> >> Until Adobe decides to discontinue support.

> >wrong.

> What is "wrong" about Peter's statement?

the discussion was about adobe removing software. i said that won't
happen, then peter said it will happen when adobe discontinues support.

that's completely wrong.

subscription based software will stop working when the user stops
paying. no surprise there. however, it won't be deleted, nor will
anything else on the computer.

where do people come up with these crazy ideas anyway?

> Do you just automatically write "wrong" when replying to anything?

only when it's wrong.

> >support has absolutely nothing to do with it. the software is *never*
> >removed from a computer unless the user explicitly deletes it.

> There's no mention of removing software by Peter.

there was by whisky dave, which began the sub-thread.

try to keep up.

> I don't know what "support" Peter is thinking of unless it's updates.

doesn't matter. adobe isn't going to remove software. end of story.

> Adobe may very well discontinue update support of older versions of
> CS. That's common in the industry.

they might, except that's not what this is about.

> I have programs on my computer that the source has made inactive. They
> are 30 day trial versions that I never purchased and have never
> bothered to delete.

there is no such thing as a trial version if you have the source code.

peternew

On 6/14/2013 7:57 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> wrong.

>> What is "wrong" about Peter's statement?

> the discussion was about adobe removing software. i said that won't
> happen, then peter said it will happen when adobe discontinues support.
>

> that's completely wrong.
>
> subscription based software will stop working when the user stops
> paying. no surprise there. however, it won't be deleted, nor will
> anything else on the computer.
>
> where do people come up with these crazy ideas anyway?
>
>> Do you just automatically write "wrong" when replying to anything?

> only when it's wrong.
>
>>> support has absolutely nothing to do with it. the software is *never*
>>> removed from a computer unless the user explicitly deletes it.

>> There's no mention of removing software by Peter.

> there was by whisky dave, which began the sub-thread.
>
> try to keep up.
>
>> I don't know what "support" Peter is thinking of unless it's updates.

> doesn't matter. adobe isn't going to remove software. end of story.
>
>> Adobe may very well discontinue update support of older versions of
>> CS. That's common in the industry.

> they might, except that's not what this is about.
>
>> I have programs on my computer that the source has made inactive. They
>> are 30 day trial versions that I never purchased and have never
>> bothered to delete.

> there is no such thing as a trial version if you have the source code.

You have a knee jerk reaction. Your statement, in plain English " older
software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way." That is one
complete sentence. had you meant what you now say you meant, you wold
have me a complete statement like: 'older software (cs6 and earlier)
will not be deactivated, or removed from your computer.' If that was
what you meant, you certainly did not say it.

If a publisher discontinues support, the usability of that software will
be very much affected.

--
PeterN

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tonycooper214
@gmail.com says...

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:55:46 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> >> nothing is removed from your computer, however, you will need to pay to
> >> keep it active.
> >>
> >> older software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way.

> >> Until Adobe decides to discontinue support.

> >wrong.

> What is "wrong" about Peter's statement?
>
> Do you just automatically write "wrong" when replying to anything?

No, he's saying that the statment that Adobe discontinuing support will
not affect older software in any way. Novell has long since
discontinued support on Netware 2.0. It still runs fine if you have
hardware old enough that it is supported by the included drivers. IBM
long ago dropped support on OS/2. My PS/2 Model 77 still runs fine.
Microsoft long since dropped support on Windows 2000. My old Thinkpad
still boots up any time I want to play with it.

Peter's statement is wrong because discontinuing support does not have
any effect on the installed base of software other that if you have a
problem with it the manufacturer isn't going to help you.

> >support has absolutely nothing to do with it. the software is *never*
> >removed from a computer unless the user explicitly deletes it.

> There's no mention of removing software by Peter.
>
> I don't know what "support" Peter is thinking of unless it's updates.
> Adobe may very well discontinue update support of older versions of
> CS. That's common in the industry.

Which does not affect the installed software in any way.

> I have programs on my computer that the source has made inactive. They
> are 30 day trial versions that I never purchased and have never
> bothered to delete.

So? The installed base of CS is not "30 day trial versions.

> >subscription based software stops working until the subscription is
> >renewed. that's all.

> Gee, it's *so* good to have an expert on tap.

nospam

In article <51bbba5c$0$8313$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, peternew
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You have a knee jerk reaction. Your statement, in plain English " older
> software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way." That is one
> complete sentence. had you meant what you now say you meant, you wold
> have me a complete statement like: 'older software (cs6 and earlier)
> will not be deactivated, or removed from your computer.' If that was
> what you meant, you certainly did not say it.

the discussion was about software removal by someone other than the
user.

regardless, older software is unaffected by anything adobe or anyone
else could do, removal or otherwise. it's fully paid for and continues
to work as it always has.

> If a publisher discontinues support, the usability of that software will
> be very much affected.

wrong again. it continues to work exactly the same as it always has.

if they stop supporting it, there won't be any tech support, bug fixes
or feature updates and compatibility with future hardware or operating
systems. that's all. it won't suddenly stop working when adobe decides
to stop supporting it.

nothing stops anyone from keeping an older computer around to run older
software.

J. Clarke

In article <51bbba5c$0$8313$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,

> On 6/14/2013 7:57 PM, nospam wrote:

> >> What is "wrong" about Peter's statement?

> > the discussion was about adobe removing software. i said that won't
> > happen, then peter said it will happen when adobe discontinues support.
> >

> > that's completely wrong.
> >
> > subscription based software will stop working when the user stops
> > paying. no surprise there. however, it won't be deleted, nor will
> > anything else on the computer.
> >
> > where do people come up with these crazy ideas anyway?
> >
> >> Do you just automatically write "wrong" when replying to anything?

> > only when it's wrong.

> >> There's no mention of removing software by Peter.

> > there was by whisky dave, which began the sub-thread.
> >
> > try to keep up.
> >
> >> I don't know what "support" Peter is thinking of unless it's updates.

> > doesn't matter. adobe isn't going to remove software. end of story.
> >
> >> Adobe may very well discontinue update support of older versions of
> >> CS. That's common in the industry.

> > they might, except that's not what this is about.
> >
> >> I have programs on my computer that the source has made inactive. They
> >> are 30 day trial versions that I never purchased and have never
> >> bothered to delete.

> > there is no such thing as a trial version if you have the source code.
> >

> You have a knee jerk reaction. Your statement, in plain English " older
> software (cs6 and earlier) is not affected in any way." That is one
> complete sentence. had you meant what you now say you meant, you wold
> have me a complete statement like: 'older software (cs6 and earlier)
> will not be deactivated, or removed from your computer.' If that was
> what you meant, you certainly did not say it.
>
> If a publisher discontinues support, the usability of that software will
> be very much affected.

Only to those who need support from the manufacturer. Personally the
one time I've talked to a software publisher about support some manager
at my end forced me to do it and the phone call, which went for 12
hours, simply got in the way of my working the problem, which I finally
resolved independently of what the "support" weenie on the other end was
telling me. If I hadn't had that "support" forced on me I would have
had the job done in half the time.