Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

peternew

On 6/19/2013 1:12 AM, nospam wrote:

>>> so that others don't reverse engineer the product and copy it.

>> there ya go again. By snipping, you have changed the entire meaning of
>> my question.

> how did that change the meaning?

Read the comment I responded to.

--
PeterN

peternew

On 6/19/2013 2:48 AM, Sandman wrote:
> In article <190620130112512968%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Just like it currently can be made useless by Adobe removing the license
>>> number servers.

>> that won't affect already activated installs.

> Ah, ok.

Technically he is correct. The problem is that you will not be able to
reinstall in the rare event of a need to reinstall.

--
PeterN

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Who knows what will happen Apple removed sopftware from the iPhone so it's
> > > not impossible for a comnpany to remove software from your comnputer that
> > > it doesn;t want you to have.

> > apple has *never* removed any user's software from anyone's phone, ipad
> > or ipod touch.

> I never said they did what point are you trying to make ?

yes you did, above.

> Who said anyhting about users software anyway or can't you tell the differnce.

this is about user's software, namely adobe creative suite and creative
cloud.

> Where was your brain when google maps were removed from the iphone.
> http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-6...le-maps-2012-9

that's a bundled app, not one the user bought on their own.

apple replaced google maps with their own map application, and google
now offers google maps in the app store for free, and one which does
more than what apple had previously offered.

> I suppose you think that if you subscribe to adobe softeware it is classed as
> your software, is that it, you don;t own any software you buy, what yuo get
> is a license to use it, did you not know that ?
>
> > > When most software is updated the old software is removed in most cases.

> > what do you think update means?

> removal of old software, did you not known that Apple and others remove
> software it seems not.

updating is *replacing* old software with a newer copy, one which
usually has more features and fewer bugs.

> > if you want the old copy, save it before updating.

> You can;t load old software back on to an iphone unless you restore the whole
> thing.

false. just keep the old app and install at any time.

> > > I can;t see any reason to believe that if a person stops paying their
> > > subscription than one option would be for the licnecing server to remove
> > > your local copy.

> > they will not remove your personal copy.

> They will disable it I assume or not let you launch it, no doubt you see this
> as a totally diifernt thing from the users POV.

if you don't pay, it won't work. what's surprising about that?

non-subscription software continues to work since it's already paid for
(or it's free).

> > even if they did, you have a backup so it doesn't matter.

> The backup won;t work because it won't be subscriped to.

obviously. but the point is nothing is removed.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The question being. Why did Adobe (the company we're talking about) remove
> the license servers.

because cs2 is almost a decade old and there aren't enough people using
cs2 anymore to make it worth keeping them running.

just how many people do you think are activating cs2 anyway? it won't
even run on a recent mac or windows system anymore. anyone that is
running it has already activated it and is using older hardware.

> Adobe say "technical issue",

no, they said what i just wrote

nospam

In article <51c1b869$0$16933$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,

> >> that won't affect already activated installs.

> > Ah, ok.

> Technically he is correct.

no he's not. he's completely wrong, as are you.

> The problem is that you will not be able to
> reinstall in the rare event of a need to reinstall.

false.

well maybe *you* can't. but the rest of the world can.

nospam

In article <51c1b7eb$0$16933$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,

> >> there ya go again. By snipping, you have changed the entire meaning of
> >> my question.

> > how did that change the meaning?

> Read the comment I responded to.

non-answer.

nospam

In article <51c1b741$0$16860$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,

> >> Who knows what will happen Apple removed sopftware from the iPhone so it's
> >> not impossible for a comnpany to remove software from your comnputer that
> >> it doesn;t want you to have.

> > apple has *never* removed any user's software from anyone's phone, ipad
> > or ipod touch.

> Never?

never.

once again, apple has never removed any user's software from anyone's
phone, ipad or ipod touch, or mac for that matter. period.

> <http://techland.time.com/2013/06/06/...-knock-out-wi-
> fi-bluetooth-and-cost-you-200-to-fix/>

not only do you not understand what user's software is, but apparently,
you missed this part, in the very first paragraph:

Suffice it to say, this problem didnąt manifest itself right away.

do you even read what you link?

apparently this supposed removal was on a timer of some sort, to catch
the user unaware.

> And I guess yo forgot about what happened when Apple maps was replaced,
> via upgrade in ios.

you don't understand the difference between replace and remove.

apple maps has additional features over google maps, namely turn by
turn, which google prohibits apple (and others) from implementing. turn
by turn was a feature users wanted and apple's competitors were
offering. that isn't anywhere close to removing software.

unfortunately, apple's map data has more issues than google's data.

maps is also bundled software, not anything the user downloaded (free
or paid). you don't understand that part either.

google released google maps on the app store, so now people can have
*both* apps and decide which one they like better. there are also many
other third party map apps. plenty of choices.

peternew

On 6/19/2013 10:43 AM, nospam wrote:

>>> Ah, ok.

>> Technically he is correct.

> no he's not. he's completely wrong, as are you.

wow! Your reading skills are even less than I thought. I was talking
about you being technically correct. But, you are so anxious to argue,

>> The problem is that you will not be able to
>> reinstall in the rare event of a need to reinstall.

> false.
>
> well maybe *you* can't. but the rest of the world can.

It would be nice if you provided HELPFUL information, instead of attacking.
If the activation servers are not available, how will the reinstall be
accomplished.

--
PeterN

peternew

On 6/19/2013 10:43 AM, nospam wrote:

>>> apple has *never* removed any user's software from anyone's phone, ipad
>>> or ipod touch.

>> Never?

> never.
>
> once again, apple has never removed any user's software from anyone's
> phone, ipad or ipod touch, or mac for that matter. period.
>
>> <http://techland.time.com/2013/06/06/...-knock-out-wi-
>> fi-bluetooth-and-cost-you-200-to-fix/>

> not only do you not understand what user's software is, but apparently,
> you missed this part, in the very first paragraph:
>
> Suffice it to say, this problem didnąt manifest itself right away.
>
> do you even read what you link?
>
> apparently this supposed removal was on a timer of some sort, to catch
> the user unaware.
>
>> And I guess yo forgot about what happened when Apple maps was replaced,
>> via upgrade in ios.

> you don't understand the difference between replace and remove.
>
> apple maps has additional features over google maps, namely turn by
> turn, which google prohibits apple (and others) from implementing. turn
> by turn was a feature users wanted and apple's competitors were
> offering. that isn't anywhere close to removing software.
>
> unfortunately, apple's map data has more issues than google's data.
>
> maps is also bundled software, not anything the user downloaded (free
> or paid). you don't understand that part either.
>
> google released google maps on the app store, so now people can have
> *both* apps and decide which one they like better. there are also many
> other third party map apps. plenty of choices.

But the pint is Apple REMOVED Google maps. You seem not to understand
the clear meaning of the word: "NEVER."

--
PeterN

Whisky-dave

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:58:33 AM UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > > No. Why are you asking these questions on usenet? Adobe has a homepage

> > > with a FAQ, you know. We're not here to do your homework for you.

> > Various people have thought that adobe were giving away CS2 for free.

> Irrelevant trivia noted.

well done do you want some sort of award.
Why is it irrelivant ?

> > Somethings been added since the last time I checked too.

> Added to what?

if you'd have read it you'd know.

> > I still think being limited to just TWO computers is a little odd

> Why?

Why limit it to two ?
if this questionn is to complex for you just say it's irrelivant like you normally do.

> > they say up to two which is an intresting phrase.

> In what way is that interesting?

Meaning you can't use it on all your computers even if you have a subscription.

> > But as long as people know what they are subscribing too.

> Which they do, since the information is readily available from Adobe.

Which explains the comments and some of the questions.

> > > I.e. I was 100% correct.

> > Almost

> No, exactly.

As you say the information is all up so it's no suprise you didn't notice.

Can you explain again why you think you can only have 5 copies of software on your Apple computers ?

> > as you are also allowed to burn it to 7 CDs/DVDs too

> Incorrect.

You haven't read it so how do you know ?
http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-.../uk/terms.html

iv) You shall be authorised to burn an audio playlist up to seven times. You may use the audio CD to which you have burned your iTunes Products in thesame ways in which you may use an audio CD purchased from a retail store, subject to United Kingdom copyright laws.

Like Adobe, Apples T&Cs are up there for everyone to read and understand.

> > > your web browser to procure this information but not information

> > > about Adobe Creative Cloud?

> > I can, can you.

> It seems you can not, given the fact you are here to ask these question
>
> instead of using your web browser.

Seems I know the answers and you don't.

> > > You can.

> > provided I delete it from my current computer

> No.

Are you saying I can have the new subscription based CS on three computers when the EULA says I can install it on up to two computers ?
Are you saying adob's EULA is wrong in some way.
Or perhaps yuor saying if I don;t connect to teh net I can have it on as many computersc as possible is that it.

> > remmeber it says a maxium of two, did you not read that part ?

> What it didn't say, however, is that you need to delete it from one of
>
> the previous two when installing on a third.

Why would you need to delete it ?
Is that what adobe does if you end your subscription or yuo attempt to install it on a 3rd computer.

> > I prefer not to delte stuff of of old computers until I have a fully

> > working new computer.

> Then don't.

So I won;t be able to try it on my new computer because it's still subscribed to on my other two computers ? or haven;t you thought this far ahead yet..

> > IF sotware detection only works once a month maybe that;ll give me a months

> > grace before I'll have to delete it or maybe it just won;t work. I'm not sure

> > how they are going to do this

> Luckily, Adobe has a homepage that answers all your questions.

The same place where it says I can have it on 3 computers ?

> > > Why is the number of non-working Macs in your posession an important

> > > data point for this discussion.

> > Because I'dlike teh option of using old computers when necessary.

> Do you often use old non-working computers when necessary? How do you go
>
> about to use a computer that doesn't work?

My non-working computers all but one are capable of working, but I have to power them up and get them out from the cupboard, where as the two I calss as workingn are curetnly asleep. Well I assume they haven't been woken.

> > I don;t like being limited to just two working computers.

> You can have as many working computers as you like in your life. No one
>
> is limiting you.

Haven't you noticed it depends on definiations of working.

> > Maybe that's because I also work in a lab curently with 30 PCs.

> But how many non-working PCs are there in the lab?

4 or 5 I think.

But if 25 can boot to windows and linux adn 1 can only boot to linux is that computer working when we can;t run say photoshop on it do you consider that computer to be working ?

> > Luckily looking after the software for those isn;t my job but I wonder what

> > deals they might have, subscription couild be useful.

> Yes.

Yes to what exactly.

> > So I take it you don;t know either.

> Or care.

See no idea how this will happen, doesn;t that concern you, it does me.