Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:07:25 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >No, he's saying that the statment that Adobe discontinuing support will
>> >not affect older software in any way.

>> Actually, he later posted that he meant that Adobe would not remove
>> software and he was contradicting Whisky Dave, not Peter. It's not a
>> good idea to guess what nospam means. He twists and turns and says
>> "the discussion is about" only what *he* would like the discussion to
>> be about.

>i didn't later post anything. in my *initial* reply to whisky dave, i
>said it won't be removed, and it wasn't a contradiction either. why do
>you insist on lying about what i say and do?

Of course you did. You replied to Peter saying he was wrong when he
wasn't, and then you made another post saying you were replying to
Whisky Dave even though it was a reply to Peter's post.

>> Besides, it's not really accurate to say that discontinuing support
>> doesn't affect older software in any way. The software remains on the
>> system and remains usable...until there's a problem.

>it's very accurate. discontinuing support does not affect anything on
>anyone's computer.

I knew you'd weasel. No one said anything about affecting anything
*on* the computer if support is dropped. It is the user that is
affected. You're twisting and lying again.

>it keeps working exactly as it always has.

If it's working, you don't need support. You need support when it
isn't working.

>it only affects calling the vendor with a question, but there are many
>other ways to get answers, most of which are more effective.

It doesn't affect calling the vendor. Phones are not disabled. It
affects the person calling the vendor and is denied assistance by the
vendor.

>> I went through this with Corel and WordPerfect. I had a perfectly
>> usable version that did everything I wanted it to do...until something
>> went wrong. Corel declined support unless I upgraded to a newer
>> version with features that I don't need or want. The software was on
>> my computer, but unusable. That, I think, qualifies as "affects".

>you gave up to easy. you probably weren't the first person to encounter
>that so there is likely a solution somewhere online, or you can ask in
>a forum and get an answer.

I did solve it. Easily. I switched to Open Office.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:07:23 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >the discussion was about adobe removing software. i said that won't
>> >happen, then peter said it will happen when adobe discontinues support.
>> >

>> >that's completely wrong.
>> >
>> >subscription based software will stop working when the user stops
>> >paying. no surprise there. however, it won't be deleted, nor will
>> >anything else on the computer.
>> >
>> >where do people come up with these crazy ideas anyway?

>> >only when it's wrong.

>> Nothing was "wrong" in what Peter said, and that's what you replied
>> to.

>it was completely wrong.

>> >there was by whisky dave, which began the sub-thread.
>> >
>> >try to keep up.

>> Why, then, write "wrong" in reply to Peter's post in which he said
>> *nothing* about software removal? Talk about not keeping up.

>the discussion was about software removal. i said it won't be removed,
>then peter said 'until they discontinue support'.

It's a bit chancy to outright lie when the message is still there. It
was written that "older software...is not affected in any way" and
Peter replied "Until Adobe decides to discontinue support".

It's right there above. You can read it. Peter didn't mention
software removal.

You made a mistake. Just admit it.

I love the way you attempt to control the discussion and dictate about
what it's about, and then you veer off the area that *you* insist is
the subject and rattle on about source code. (I'll cut that nonsense
because this discussion - according to you - is only about the removal
of subscription Adobe products.)

Further, the original post creating this thread, by Gamer, said
nothing at all about "software removal". It was a rambling diatribe
about Adobe's "Gestapo" tactics and bitching about not being able to
upgrade from CS3.

The "discussion" has progressed from there touching on several
different but related subjects including deviation from the original
post's subject by you. There is no single "the discussion was about".

You don't seem to understand that a usenet discussion goes wherever
the participants want it to go. Peter chose to mention the possible
discontinuance of support. He can do that. You are not in control.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I purchased my present computer there are programs that I
> purchased in the past that will not work on this system. I have the
> disks, but the program can't be installed. I am affected by this
> because I can no longer use the programs. I have no recourse, and
> don't expect any. I was still affected.

there are ways to continue using them with little to no performance
impact.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> No, I really haven't had reason to call a vendor. Any minor problems
> >> have been solved by reading forums and such.

> >which means if a vendor discontinues support, it won't matter.

> Not to me, perhaps, but I am not as arrogant as you and understand
> that not everyone would do it the way I would. As long as there are
> people who would contact support, it matters.

back to insults again, i see.

as i said before, there's a wealth of support available from places
other than the vendor, often much better than anything the vendor
offers.

official support may be gone, but there's plenty more elsewhere.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Uhhh...you may. I consider that theft of services.

> >then you'd be wrong.
> >
> >if you have the source code you can modify it. that's the whole point.
> >
> >besides, nobody would put in a timeout and then release the source code
> >anyway.

> Then why was it brought up?

you mentioned source, so ask yourself that question.

you improperly used a term and now are trying to weasel out of it.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Actually, he later posted that he meant that Adobe would not remove
> >> software and he was contradicting Whisky Dave, not Peter. It's not a
> >> good idea to guess what nospam means. He twists and turns and says
> >> "the discussion is about" only what *he* would like the discussion to
> >> be about.

> >i didn't later post anything. in my *initial* reply to whisky dave, i
> >said it won't be removed, and it wasn't a contradiction either. why do
> >you insist on lying about what i say and do?

> Of course you did. You replied to Peter saying he was wrong when he
> wasn't,

he was wrong, as are you.

> and then you made another post saying you were replying to
> Whisky Dave even though it was a reply to Peter's post.

i was initially replying to whisky dave when peter made his comment, so
my next reply was to peter.

why are you having so much trouble keeping track of who said what and
to whom?

> >> Besides, it's not really accurate to say that discontinuing support
> >> doesn't affect older software in any way. The software remains on the
> >> system and remains usable...until there's a problem.

> >it's very accurate. discontinuing support does not affect anything on
> >anyone's computer.

> I knew you'd weasel. No one said anything about affecting anything
> *on* the computer if support is dropped. It is the user that is
> affected. You're twisting and lying again.

talking about yourself, i see, and wrong, as usual.

whisky dave asked about deleting. in other words, he was asking about
what happens *on* the computer.

> >it keeps working exactly as it always has.

> If it's working, you don't need support. You need support when it
> isn't working.

since it was working before support was dropped, it will continue to
work after.

> >it only affects calling the vendor with a question, but there are many
> >other ways to get answers, most of which are more effective.

> It doesn't affect calling the vendor. Phones are not disabled. It
> affects the person calling the vendor and is denied assistance by the
> vendor.

the point of the call is to get assistance. if that's denied then
there's no point in making the call in the first place. sure, they can
make the call as many times as they want, but what for?

you're just playing word games, desperately grasping at straws.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Nothing was "wrong" in what Peter said, and that's what you replied
> >> to.

> >it was completely wrong.

> >> Why, then, write "wrong" in reply to Peter's post in which he said
> >> *nothing* about software removal? Talk about not keeping up.

> >the discussion was about software removal. i said it won't be removed,
> >then peter said 'until they discontinue support'.

> It's a bit chancy to outright lie when the message is still there. It
> was written that "older software...is not affected in any way" and
> Peter replied "Until Adobe decides to discontinue support".
>
> It's right there above. You can read it. Peter didn't mention
> software removal.

whisky dave mentioned removal, and i was replying to him when peter
butted in.

once again:

i said they won't remove support, they'll just deactivate subscription
based software, while earlier software is unaffected whether you
continue to pay the subscription fees or not.

this is 100% correct, no matter how hard you try to claim otherwise.

> You made a mistake. Just admit it.

i'm not the one who made a mistake. you did, and are going to great
lengths to avoid admitting your mistake. you also completely failed at
reading comprehension.

> I love the way you attempt to control the discussion and dictate about
> what it's about, and then you veer off the area that *you* insist is
> the subject and rattle on about source code. (I'll cut that nonsense
> because this discussion - according to you - is only about the removal
> of subscription Adobe products.)

i'm not attempting to control anything. whisky dave asked a question
and i replied to it.

> Further, the original post creating this thread, by Gamer, said
> nothing at all about "software removal". It was a rambling diatribe
> about Adobe's "Gestapo" tactics and bitching about not being able to
> upgrade from CS3.

doesn't matter what the original post was.

whisky dave asked a question and i answered.

> The "discussion" has progressed from there touching on several
> different but related subjects including deviation from the original
> post's subject by you. There is no single "the discussion was about".

yes there is. when someone asks a question and another person answers
it, it's about that particular question.

> You don't seem to understand that a usenet discussion goes wherever
> the participants want it to go. Peter chose to mention the possible
> discontinuance of support. He can do that. You are not in control.

you don't seem to understand how usenet works.

you see, when someone asks a question, one or more people may answer
it. whisky dave asked a question and i replied.

i'm not controlling a thing. more lies from you.

peternew

On 6/14/2013 10:07 PM, nospam wrote:> In article
<51bbc1ad$0$8312$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, peternew

>>> the discussion was about software removal by someone other than the
>>> user.

>> Your quoted sentence did not say that.

> the post to which i replied was about removal. this entire subthread is
> about removal.

Our statement, written in clear English was incorrect, as shown earlier.

> anyone who was following the discussion would see that. j.clarke could
> see that.

>>> regardless, older software is unaffected by anything adobe or anyone
>>> else could do, removal or otherwise. it's fully paid for and
>>> continues to work as it always has.

>>> wrong again. it continues to work exactly the same as it always has.
>>>
>>> if they stop supporting it, there won't be any tech support, bug
>>> fixes or feature updates and compatibility with future hardware or
>>> operating systems. that's all. it won't suddenly stop working when
>>> adobe decides to stop supporting it.

>> You have just described the effect on usability.

> what effect? everything keeps working just like it always has.

Whoosh!

>>> nothing stops anyone from keeping an older computer around to run
>>> older software.

>> Your quoted sentence, to which I responded, said something other than
>> what you ar saying now.

> not in the least. you misunderstood and are trying to blame it on
> others.

Sorry. I forgot you rarely say what you mean!

--
PeterN

peternew

On 6/15/2013 12:24 AM, nospam wrote:
<>snip>

> which means if a vendor discontinues support, it won't matter.

If you don't includes patches and compatibility upgrades as part of support.

--
PeterN

peternew

On 6/14/2013 10:07 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> the discussion was about adobe removing software. i said that won't
>>> happen, then peter said it will happen when adobe discontinues support.

That is not the statement to which I responded. I responded to a
specific sentence, and explained why. Your quoting is disgustingly
selective.

--
PeterN