Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

PeterN

On 6/3/2013 8:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-03 16:19:27 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said:
>
>> I have been a Photoshop user since the very first release of the
>> software for the PC way back in what, 1990? 1994?? Both personal and
>> at all of the screenprinting companies I managed over the years and
>> right up to my own personal photography work. I looked at GIMP once,
>> Same with COREL..... and a few other wannabe's.
>>
>> Through all the years I've been a loyal Adobe customer and never
>> really considered anything else as the Photoshop products always did
>> well for me.
>>
>> Over the weekend I purchased a Nikon D3200 camera. This camera uses
>> NEF-Compressed RAW format. I use Photoshop CS3 mostly out of laziness
>> in updating. Also though there is the cost with seeming annual
>> upgrades. CS3 did everything I need it to do so if it ain't broken
>> don't fix it.
>>
>> My research and updating of CS3 let to naught as those of you in the
>> "know" will nod your heads to. So I figured I would call Adobe and
>> learn what the cost would be to upgrade.
>>
>> Imagine my surprise when I learned of Adobe's current Subscription
>> demands to have the privilege of using their products.

> We feel your pain.
> This has been discussed in the photo NGs at some length, and many of us
> here have discussed, and weighed the pro & cons of the Adobe "Creative
> Cloud" (CC). Many of us have decided that CS6 is the end of the Adobe
> upgrade treadmill. Few of us here are pro-photographers, or graphic
> artists/designers and we have chosen to stick with CS5 or CS6 and go no
> further.
>
> Personally, over the years I have paid for PS7, PS-CS, then up graded to
> CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, & finally CS6. I use Lightroom 4 (LR4)+CS6 in my
> workflow.
>
> The Adobe upgrade path changed several years ago and for you an upgrade
> from CS3 to CS5 dead-ended some time ago. You are correct the only
> purchasable upgrade you could make today is CS5 to CS6. So, your
> purchase options are to pay $699 to Adobe for the last of their
> inventory, or $650 via Amazon for the last of their inventory. None of
> those are appealing.
>
> Now that you have a new camera which is not supported by ACR in your
> CS3, you have several options:
> 1: Search out other available software options.
>
> 2: Stick with CS3 and add Lightroom 4 , currently available for
> $97.99 from Amazon. This will give you all you need for cataloging and
> processing of current RAW files, and you will still be able to use CS3.
> (this is the solution I recommend)
> There are some advantages to this as you would be using the 2012 RAW
> process engine, which is a vast improvement over the 2003 version in CS3.
>
> 3: Download the current version of the free DNR convertor from Adobe,
> and continue with CS3.
>
> ...or 4: Take a deep breath and consider the actual annual cost of
> [...]

So far, I have found DXO is a better than decent RAW converter, with
more capability than ACR. I will have a more informed opinion as I
continue to learn the produce and they come out with the promised
upgrade to permit selective adjustments.

--
PeterN