Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I didn't read most of your rant but here's what you do:
> >>
> >> 1. Get the free Adobe DNGConverter to convert your raw files to DNG.
> >>
> >> 2. Keep using CS3 as before.

> > Thank you both very much. Sorry about the rant.... Been months since I
> > had a good one and that certainly did not qualify as a good one.
> > However I am disapointed in Adobe. Actually I started out just to say
> > I thought this was going to hurt them. Also, this is what I get for
> > having lived in a cave for a couple of years.
> >
> > Elements you say?

> I didn't say Elements at all.

i suggested elements.

> I said: 1) Get the free DNG converter and 2) _continue_ using CS3 with
> the DNG files instead of the NEF.

the most recent version of elements will be far more convenient than
that.

however, dng converter is free.

Whisky-dave

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:44:19 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-05 17:15:48 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said:
>

> > On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:18:37 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > wrote:

> >> i suggested elements.

> >> the most recent version of elements will be far more convenient than

> >> that.

> >> however, dng converter is free.

> > Yes, I was recognizing both your early contributions.....and

> > overlooking my rudeness.

> > I used Elements back in it's very first iteration. However I also had

> > Photoshop and used it heavily in the printing industry so it seemed

> > redundant back then and I have not kept uip with it having stuck with

> > PS all along.

> > So, I am now venturing outside my comfort zone and "broadening my

> > horizons" as my anger management obsessive girlfriend constantly

> > reminds me. Let's just face it...Old men do not like change! At least

> > I don't...

> > I am going to grab the DNG converter tonight. Thanks much both of

> > ya's.

> I still recommend test driving Lightroom 4 to use with your copy of CS3.
>
> You might even find less need for anymore than the occasional use of CS3.
>

> Here is a brief overview of some of the develop capabilities of
>
> Lightroom 4 by Julieanne Kost;
>
> <
>
> http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-st...tunning-images
>
> ?
>

> The trial download link:
>
> < https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...shop_lightroom >
>

> ...and if you decide to buy, check with Amazon, as they have much
>
> better prices than Adobe direct.

Poor amazon will lose out come the subscription method. ;-(
Makes me wonder how can amazon sell cheaper than Adobe can.

PeterN

On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
> vendors.
> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.

I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they will
be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.

--
PeterN

nospam

In article <51b0d1fd$0$10765$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.

none.

> One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
> Essentials and CC.

what's essentials?

do you mean elements?

weren't you going on about proper use of english? looks like it's you
who has the problem, not me.

> The other side says that I'm not certain they will
> be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.

why wouldn't they? adobe isn't going to stop them.

you're talking out your ass again.

nospam

In article <2013060611493030337-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
> working arrangements with Adobe.

no need.

all that's needed is download the plug-in sdk and start writing.

PeterN

On 6/6/2013 2:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-06 11:16:29 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
>>> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
>>> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
>>> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
>>> vendors.
>>> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
>>> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.
>>>

>> I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
>> One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
>> Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they will
>> be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.

> I don't see why the plug-in publishers would have any difficulty at all.
> The CC edition of Photoshop is downloaded to, and installed on the
> subscriber's computer where it runs. The separately purchased plug-ins,
> some of which are stand-alone applications, would be installed in
> whichever copies of eligible editing software is installed on the user's
> computer. Nothing would change.
>
> For example, I use the NIK suite, and when it installs the plug-ins, it
> places them where they fit. In my case CS5. CS6, LR4, & PSE9. If I
> subscribed to the CC, I would like to believe that they would install
> without issue.
>
> As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
> working arrangements with Adobe.

I hope you are right, but I have not seen that issue clarified.

--
PeterN

J. Clarke

In article <2013060611493030337-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2013-06-06 11:16:29 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> >

> > <snip>
> >>
> >> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
> >> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
> >> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
> >> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
> >> vendors.
> >> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
> >> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.
> >>

> > I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
> > One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
> > Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they will
> > be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.

> I don't see why the plug-in publishers would have any difficulty at all.
> The CC edition of Photoshop is downloaded to, and installed on the
> subscriber's computer where it runs. The separately purchased plug-ins,
> some of which are stand-alone applications, would be installed in
> whichever copies of eligible editing software is installed on the
> user's computer. Nothing would change.
>
> For example, I use the NIK suite, and when it installs the plug-ins, it
> places them where they fit. In my case CS5. CS6, LR4, & PSE9. If I
> subscribed to the CC, I would like to believe that they would install
> without issue.
>
> As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
> working arrangements with Adobe.

I really don't understand where people are getting the notion that CC
runs on Adobe's servers. If Adobe is going to be providing enough
server-power and bandwidth to support CS6 with the same performance
level as a quad-core local PC they are going to have to charge a Hell of
a lot more than $50 a month.

PeterN

On 6/6/2013 7:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-06 15:30:00 -0700, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> In article <2013060611493030337-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>> savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

>>> I don't see why the plug-in publishers would have any difficulty at all.
>>> The CC edition of Photoshop is downloaded to, and installed on the
>>> subscriber's computer where it runs. The separately purchased plug-ins,
>>> some of which are stand-alone applications, would be installed in
>>> whichever copies of eligible editing software is installed on the
>>> user's computer. Nothing would change.
>>>
>>> For example, I use the NIK suite, and when it installs the plug-ins, it
>>> places them where they fit. In my case CS5. CS6, LR4, & PSE9. If I
>>> subscribed to the CC, I would like to believe that they would install
>>> without issue.
>>>
>>> As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
>>> working arrangements with Adobe.

>> I really don't understand where people are getting the notion that CC
>> runs on Adobe's servers. If Adobe is going to be providing enough
>> server-power and bandwidth to support CS6 with the same performance
>> level as a quad-core local PC they are going to have to charge a Hell of
>> a lot more than $50 a month.

> Yup!
> All Adobe is doing with the CC is providing the subscriber with a
> download of their rental optimized software. That software runs on the
> subscriber's computer as it has always done in the past, with the
> exception that it calls home to check that the rent has been paid.

And what happens if I have no Internet connection?

--
PeterN

nospam

In article <51b11b4a$0$10766$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And what happens if I have no Internet connection?

depends for how long. it will work for up to 30 days for monthly
subscribers and up to 99 days for yearly subscribers without an
internet connection.

Whisky-dave

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:28:08 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-06 05:52:31 -0700, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > On Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:44:19 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

> >> I still recommend test driving Lightroom 4 to use with your copy of CS3.

> >> You might even find less need for anymore than the occasional use of CS3.

> >> Here is a brief overview of some of the develop capabilities of

> >> Lightroom 4 by Julieanne Kost;

> >> <

> >> http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-st...tunning-images

> The
>

> >> trial download link:

> >> < https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...shop_lightroom >

> >> ...and if you decide to buy, check with Amazon, as they have much

> >> better prices than Adobe direct.

> > Poor amazon will lose out come the subscription method. ;-(

> > Makes me wonder how can amazon sell cheaper than Adobe can.

> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
>
> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
>
> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
>
> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
>
> vendors.

So they are willing to make less money on each product sold if it suites them.
In some ways there are letting market forces set the price, but with subscription Adobe set the price.

> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
>
> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.

It'll be intresting to see if Adobe actualy gain[1] through this method or will they lose out.

[1] where gain is basically make bigger profits in whatever way it's mesured.