Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Adobe goes into back-peddling panic mode

Adobe goes into back-peddling panic mode

RichA

Whatsamatter? The pseudo-Marxist plot to turn America into a rental
economy for services from an ownership economy not going down so well?

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/adobe-...20130529-01017

J. Clarke

In article <54e7f779-ec95-4315-844e-d751473082e7@
2g2000yqr.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Whatsamatter? The pseudo-Marxist plot to turn America into a rental
> economy for services from an ownership economy not going down so well?
>
> http://www.nasdaq.com/article/adobe-...20130529-01017

There's enough wrong with that article that I wonder what's right with
it.

RichA

On Jun 5, 5:58*am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > Whatsamatter? *The pseudo-Marxist plot to turn America into a rental
> > economy for services from an ownership economy not going down so well?

> I guess IBM was pseudo-marxist in the sixties.
>
> * BugBear

Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
Services" in-place of owned programs.
You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
> Services" in-place of owned programs.

lots of companies are and expect more in the future.

> You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

no.

David Taylor

On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
[]
> Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
> Services" in-place of owned programs.
> You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).
--
Cheers,
David

Whisky-dave

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:42:29 PM UTC+1, David Taylor wrote:
> On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
>
> []
>
> > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded

> > Services" in-place of owned programs.

> > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

> Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).

Yes but the trick is only inform the view of other programs you make that way it's not classed as advertising, and then you can get componies to sponer programs and again this isn't advertising. ;-0

One thing that I can blame the USA for are those so called 'info' commercials.
UNless I can find another country to blame/

RichA

On Jun 6, 7:42*am, David Taylor <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
> []
>
> > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
> > Services" in-place of owned programs.
> > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

> Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).
> --
> Cheers,
> David
> Web:http://www.satsignal.eu

Explains why the U.S. economy's value has increase by 400% over the
past 20 years yet the average person is no better off.

PeterN

On 6/7/2013 4:54 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Jun 6, 7:42 am, David Taylor <david-
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 06/06/2013 02:53, RichA wrote:
>> []
>>
>>> Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
>>> Services" in-place of owned programs.
>>> You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

>> Just like watching commercial TV (and these days, sadly, BBC TV as well).
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> David
>> Web:http://www.satsignal.eu

> Explains why the U.S. economy's value has increase by 400% over the
> past 20 years yet the average person is no better off.

And just how is the Canadian economic situation any different.
Please explain your point.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:06:22 -0400, Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <050620132227332978%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > Microsoft is also jumping on this bandwagon with "Microsoft-branded
>> > Services" in-place of owned programs.

>> lots of companies are and expect more in the future.
>>
>> > You'll be happily using your Adobe PS and up will pop an ad.

>> no.

>This is nothing new, just more signs of the MBAs taking over from the
>programmers and marketing people.

What is the difference between "marketing people" and "MBAs"? An MBA
is simply an advanced degree. Many "marketing people" have MBAs. The
MBA stands for Masters in Business Administration. Marketing is part
of business administration.

MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.

They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
just expanding the task given to them.

A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
what he's assigned to keep track of.

>Selling an indefinite license gives
>you big spikes in the revenue stream, and accountants HATE that. They
>want a nice, smooth flow of money, like the electric utility.

Accountants merely keep track of the income/outgo. The management
people who are concerned with revenue flow are the ones who feel that
the numbers affect the share prices.

>Twenty years ago, my sales manager (at ComputerLand, of all places) was
>trying to get me away from the big deals: "I don't want a
>million-dollar PO; I want a customer who'll spend $100,000 EVERY MONTH.

Do the math. Your $100k a month customer spends more in a year than
your million-dollar one-time buyer, and he is likely to continue to
spend at that rate. Your sales manager was looking at the big
picture.

I doubt if your sales manager discouraged you from taking a
million-dollar order, but he was right in encouraging you to look for
customers who would buy and continue to buy.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MBAs, and other management people who may not have this advanced
> degree, *should* take over the function of "programmers" in business
> decisions if those people are involved on the business side of the
> organization. A programmer is a person who designs a computer program
> to facilitate what other people decide needs to be accomplished.
> Programmers do not originate the idea; they work to assigned tasks.

wrong. so very wrong. programmers often originate the ideas (and
implement them) and then other people decide what to do with those
ideas.

> They may say "We can add this feature", but - in that role - they are
> just expanding the task given to them.

nope, they often come up with most or all of the product, and then
others decide if it's worth publishing and in what form.

these days, an indie developer does it all.

> A programmer need not - and usually doesn't - have any idea of the
> function or objectives of the business. Tell a programmer that
> something is needed to keep track of inventory, and he'll do it. He
> doesn't need to know what the inventory does, who it is sold to, or
> anything about the nature of the business other than the specifics of
> what he's assigned to keep track of.

you don't understand software development.