Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > HELP! VHDL real TYPE produces infinite decimal. How to approximateor reduce precision?

HELP! VHDL real TYPE produces infinite decimal. How to approximateor reduce precision?

adam.kimura@googlemail.com

06-04-2013
Hello

I am fairly new to VHDL and have hit a wall in my code.

Basically, I am wanting to convert a 50% duty cycle frequency signal into aperiod with microsecond units. In VHDL, I perform a 1/frequency operationin order to get the period and then convert it to seconds. I declared theperiod as a real type. The problem I have is when I end up with a frequency that creates an infinite decimal for the period calculation (Example: 1/3 = 0.333333..... )My simulator cannot handle the infinite decimal.

Is there a way to limit the precision of a REAL type number in VHDL? Should I use a floating point? I appreciate the help!

06-04-2013
Hello Alan,

I think I got it working. I honestly don't know what happened. I was trying to re-create the error that I was getting, but it seemed to work fine now. Is there a limit on the number of decimal places a REAL type can have? From what I understood from the error message, the decimal places were infinite; which caused the simulation error. I understood this to mean that VHDL cannot represent such a number beyond a certain number of decimal places. In languages like C++, a number like 1/3 cannot be accurately represented since it is 0.3333333.... (re-occurring 3.) I have the situation where I am dividing 1 by decimal numbers... hence the long decimals.

Thanks again for your help.

ak

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, Alan Fitch wrote:
> On 04/06/13 18:04, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Hello

>
> >

>
> > I am fairly new to VHDL and have hit a wall in my code.

>
> >

>
> > Basically, I am wanting to convert a 50% duty cycle frequency signal into a period with microsecond units. In VHDL, I perform a 1/frequency operation in order to get the period and then convert it to seconds. I declaredthe period as a real type. The problem I have is when I end up with a frequency that creates an infinite decimal for the period calculation (Example: 1/3 = 0.333333..... )My simulator cannot handle the infinite decimal.

>
> >

>
> > Is there a way to limit the precision of a REAL type number in VHDL? Should I use a floating point? I appreciate the help!

>
> >

>
>
>
> That sounds strange.
>
>
>
> Can you post the code and the error message?
>
>
>
> To answer you last question, REAL *is* floating point.
>
>
>
> regards
>
> Alan
>
>
>
> --
>
> Alan Fitch

rickman

06-05-2013
Yes, the REAL data type in VHDL has limited precision just like most
data types in programming languages. I'm not sure what error you might
have seen. I can't think of anything in VHDL that would have a problem
with your use of a REAL data type unless you were trying to synthesize
it. To turn 1/3 into a real number you must first convert the 1 and the
3 into reals and then divide them as real. No, it won't give you
exactly 1/3, but it will not give you an error.

I think the error must have been related to how you were trying to
convert them.

Rick

On 6/4/2013 7:59 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> I think I got it working. I honestly don't know what happened. I was trying to re-create the error that I was getting, but it seemed to work fine now. Is there a limit on the number of decimal places a REAL type can have? From what I understood from the error message, the decimal places were infinite; which caused the simulation error. I understood this to mean that VHDL cannot represent such a number beyond a certain number of decimal places. In languages like C++, a number like 1/3 cannot be accurately represented since it is 0.3333333.... (re-occurring 3.) I have the situation where I am dividing 1 by decimal numbers... hence the long decimals.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> ak
>
>
> On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, Alan Fitch wrote:
>> On 04/06/13 18:04, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Hello

>>
>>>

>>
>>> I am fairly new to VHDL and have hit a wall in my code.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Basically, I am wanting to convert a 50% duty cycle frequency signal into a period with microsecond units. In VHDL, I perform a 1/frequency operation in order to get the period and then convert it to seconds. I declared the period as a real type. The problem I have is when I end up with a frequency that creates an infinite decimal for the period calculation (Example: 1/3 = 0.333333..... )My simulator cannot handle the infinite decimal.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Is there a way to limit the precision of a REAL type number in VHDL? Should I use a floating point? I appreciate the help!

>>
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> That sounds strange.
>>
>>
>>
>> Can you post the code and the error message?
>>
>>
>>
>> To answer you last question, REAL *is* floating point.
>>
>>
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Alan
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Alan Fitch

>

--

Rick

06-05-2013
Thank you Rick... very helpful information. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I sincerely appreciate it!

Best,

Adam.

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:03:30 PM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
> Yes, the REAL data type in VHDL has limited precision just like most
>
> data types in programming languages. I'm not sure what error you might
>
> have seen. I can't think of anything in VHDL that would have a problem
>
> with your use of a REAL data type unless you were trying to synthesize
>
> it. To turn 1/3 into a real number you must first convert the 1 and the
>
> 3 into reals and then divide them as real. No, it won't give you
>
> exactly 1/3, but it will not give you an error.
>
>
>
> I think the error must have been related to how you were trying to
>
> convert them.
>
>
>
> Rick
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 6/4/2013 7:59 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Hello Alan,

>
> >

>
> > I think I got it working. I honestly don't know what happened. I was trying to re-create the error that I was getting, but it seemed to work fine now. Is there a limit on the number of decimal places a REAL type can have? From what I understood from the error message, the decimal places wereinfinite; which caused the simulation error. I understood this to mean that VHDL cannot represent such a number beyond a certain number of decimal places. In languages like C++, a number like 1/3 cannot be accurately represented since it is 0.3333333.... (re-occurring 3.) I have the situation where I am dividing 1 by decimal numbers... hence the long decimals.

>
> >

>
> > Thanks again for your help.

>
> >

>
> > ak

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, Alan Fitch wrote:

>
> >> On 04/06/13 18:04, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>
> >>

>
> >>> Hello

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> I am fairly new to VHDL and have hit a wall in my code.

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> Basically, I am wanting to convert a 50% duty cycle frequency signal into a period with microsecond units. In VHDL, I perform a 1/frequency operation in order to get the period and then convert it to seconds. I declared the period as a real type. The problem I have is when I end up with a frequency that creates an infinite decimal for the period calculation (Example: 1/3 = 0.333333..... )My simulator cannot handle the infinite decimal.

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> Is there a way to limit the precision of a REAL type number in VHDL? Should I use a floating point? I appreciate the help!

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >> That sounds strange.

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >> Can you post the code and the error message?

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >> To answer you last question, REAL *is* floating point.

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >> regards

>
> >>

>
> >> Alan