Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo ops at Acadia National Park and environs

Photo ops at Acadia National Park and environs

Bill

Planning a week-long visit to Acadia. Looking for interesting venues to shoot and, of course, the iconic views. I'd be grateful for suggestions.

Robert Coe

On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:02 -0700 (PDT), Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Planning a week-long visit to Acadia. Looking for interesting venues to shoot and, of course, the iconic views. I'd be grateful for suggestions.

The quintessential shots are Cadillac Mountain at sunset (consider going for
the west-facing overlook one down from the summit) and Thunder Hole as the
tide is coming in. Also that lake (I forget its name) with the "Bubbles"
(obviously it was originally the "Boobs") in the background. And there are
attractive rock formations almost everywhere.

My wife and I spent a couple of days there last August. A few of the shots we
took are in one of last fall's Shoot-Ins, so take a look for them there.

I think you'll like Acadia. The island is compact, so the major venues are
very accessible; but with a whole week, you can venture off to some of the
neighboring mainland that's part of the park. And if you can spare the time,
there are photogenic little towns all along the Maine coast.

The only downside to such a trip is that the traffic to and from can be
brutal. So try to allow for that.

Bob

PeterN

On 5/24/2013 9:42 AM, Bill wrote:
> Planning a week-long visit to Acadia. Looking for interesting venues to shoot and, of course, the iconic views. I'd be grateful for suggestions.

Bob Coe hit the nail when he said Cadilac Mountain. I personalty like to
shoot at Thunder Hole, which is along the trail in the park. I have a
thing about lighthouses.
Just Google Maine Lighthouses: You will get something like:
<http://www.visitmaine.com/attractions/sightseeing_tours/lighthouse/>
Explore just outside the park on the small coastal roads, drive around
slowly and look.
When are you going?
In late June and Early July the Puffins are in breeding plumage. If you
are driving up the Coast Marshall Point Lighthouse is really
interesting. stop in Rockport and Camden. Depending on where you are
starting from, you should try Pemaquid at Dawn.
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/pemaquid%20at%20dawn.jpg>
Also the Olson House is a place of subtle beauty. It was Andrew
Wyeth's residence. Many of his images were inspired there.
<http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/olson-house>

Of course the stops depend on your travel plans.

We are going there in July, but plan to take at least four days driving
up the Coast. But then it's not our first trip there.
Hope this gets you started.
Enjoy your visit.

--
PeterN