Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Would anyone teach me perl?

Would anyone teach me perl?

Dailey Kohtz

I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
titles:
Learning Perl
Programming Perl
Perl Cookbook
Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?
Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?
I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

Justin C

On 2013-05-23, Dailey Kohtz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
> titles:
> Learning Perl
> Programming Perl
> Perl Cookbook
> Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?
> Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?
> I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

If you've got Learning Perl you don't need a teacher, it's
an excellent book. If you *really* insist on having a teacher
then try http://www.stonehenge.com - there may be other
teachers, but Randall and Tom wrote the book (literally).

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

John Black

> On 2013-05-23, Dailey Kohtz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
> > titles:
> > Learning Perl
> > Programming Perl
> > Perl Cookbook
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?
> > Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?
> > I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

> If you've got Learning Perl you don't need a teacher, it's
> an excellent book.

I think this guy is just trolling...

John Black

Dailey Kohtz

I know I have the books, but I really want some help... like a tutor

Jürgen Exner

Dailey Kohtz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
>titles:
>Learning Perl
>Programming Perl
>Perl Cookbook
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?

You are aware that "programming" (aka Computer Science) is a
fully-featured university-level degree, are you?
Granted, you don't need a degree in hydro-dynamics to install a water
pipe either, but at the very least you should be very clear to yourself
and to others what exactly you are looking for.

Learning programming: wrong approach and wrong NG. Get some training at
a community college or adult education center or whatever is being
offered in your area. You will be far better off face-to-face with an
actual teacher and well-structured class.

Learning Perl: Well, if you know how to program then Perl is just
another imperative programming language in the tradition of your typical
scripting or shell languages. You should have learned about the typical
concepts of those languages during your programming training.
Reading through Programming Perl will teach you how to code each of
those concept in Perl and while doing so you will also encounter and
learn about Perl-specific features which are not commonly found in other
languages one by one.

> Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?

If you trying to learn Perl and if you don't understand a specific
concept or language feature then -after consulting the usual self-help
like man pages- this NG is a very good place to ask specific, targeted
questions.

jue

johannes falcone

I would reccomend
1 the look modern perl free online
2 the book learning perl
3 install perl onto your computer
4 read slowly adn have fun running some examples
5 do the exercises adn slowly read and do the examples
6 check out CPAN for other needs
7 it helps if you have a project, like say you own small blog website, build it and add features or try to make it work with half the code by rewriting it
8 again go slowly and have fun
9 for bonus points install a fre unix like freeebsd or archlinux onto an old pc adn user perl on that
10 try cpanm and cpan-outdated from cpan for install perl modules, and try perlbrew for getting a newer perl

Dailey Kohtz

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:04:50 AM UTC-7, Dailey Kohtz wrote:
> I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
>
> titles:
>
> Learning Perl
>
> Programming Perl
>
> Perl Cookbook

> Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?
>
> Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?
>
> I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

I am under 18 and I can not do college courses, so don't talk to me like one, but understand I have super limited options!!!

Dailey Kohtz

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:04:50 AM UTC-7, Dailey Kohtz wrote:
> I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
>
> titles:
>
> Learning Perl
>
> Programming Perl
>
> Perl Cookbook

> Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?
>
> Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?
>
> I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I am fully aware that computer science is a college major I want to pursue when I get to college, but I'm trying to start early. The earlier I start the further along I'll be later.

J. Gleixner

On 05/30/13 11:47, Dailey Kohtz wrote:
> On Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:04:50 AM UTC-7, Dailey Kohtz wrote:
>> I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
>>
>> titles:
>>
>> Learning Perl
>>
>> Programming Perl
>>
>> Perl Cookbook
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?
>>
>> Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?
>>
>> I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

> I am under 18 and I can not do college courses, so don't talk to me like one, but understand I have super limited options!!!

Wow.. First, it might be good to learn how to post follow-ups.

Age is a lame excuse, you have access to the Internet. Everything
you ever wanted to learn is available to you. Read books, read
code (pick a module you're interested in, on CPAN or your local
installation, and read through it), write code that does something
you want to do, ask questions. There are a lot of online courses, even
college courses, books, and documentation. If you need a teacher,
then sign-up for a class either online, or some local company.

I'd suggest experimenting/reading about other languages too. Everyone
seems to like/dislike various languages for different reasons and maybe
Perl is/isn't the language for you.

Jürgen Exner

Dailey Kohtz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:04:50 AM UTC-7, Dailey Kohtz wrote:
>> Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?
>>
>> Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?
>>
>> I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

>I am under 18 and I can not do college courses,

It certainly would have helped to understand your situation if you had
mentioned that in your first article. People are not mind readers and in
a medium like Usenet the only information you get is what the other
person wrote.

>so don't talk to me like one, but understand I have super limited options!!!

Inquire at your school. I cannot imagine that there is a school that
doesn't offer programming classes. And if there really really is none
then gather a few co-students with the same interest and found a
programming group yourself. Heck, we founded our computer group over 30
years ago in 10th grade using a TI-59. Only 2 years later the school
finally bought the first Apple-II.

jue