Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How can we easily annotate text onto Nikon camera AVI usingfreeware

How can we easily annotate text onto Nikon camera AVI usingfreeware

Eddie Powalski

On Windows or Linux, I'd like to annotate simple text
onto a MJPG video taken from a Nikon D5000 that I want to
upload to YouTube which shows a perplexing issue with
the toll-free Customer Support number for ZTE.
1-877-817-1759

The video is here: http://youtu.be/JHALM-pJpBM

All I want to do is add simple explanatory text saying
the first phone is a California landline, the second VOIP,
and the third a cell phone, where the first two fail every
time (they end up in Chinese); yet the third gets through
every time (and ends up, as desired, in English).

I tried adding explanatory text via paper, but there
must be an easy way, with freeware, to add text
directly onto the video (preferably in Linux).

What freeware would you suggest for annotating simple
explanatory text onto that basic Nikon camera MJPG AVI?

PS: If you have any idea what is going on telephonically,
that would be useful too ... but I understand that's OT
for this newsgroup.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eddie Powalski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Windows or Linux, I'd like to annotate simple text
> onto a MJPG video taken from a Nikon D5000 that I want to

[...]
> All I want to do is add simple explanatory text saying

[...]
> I tried adding explanatory text via paper, but there
> must be an easy way, with freeware, to add text
> directly onto the video (preferably in Linux).

"non-linear video editing"
- kdenlive
- OpenShot
- Cinelerra
- LiVES
- PiTiVi

> What freeware would you suggest [...]

None. I'd suggest free (libre) software.

-Wolfgang