Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Telecom Bill

New Telecom Bill

bugalugs

On 29/05/2013 7:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 01:06:52 UTC+12, geopelia wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I'm considering Direct Debit.

>> That means they will just help themselves to your bank account as
>> they see fit. Most of the time that should be the amount of your bill
>> but if for some reason they believe you have spent $5000 talking to
>> phone sex lines in Russia then they will still go ahead and take the
>> money out of your account. So you need to watch your bills very
>> carefully.

> I whole-heartedly agree with JohnO. I'll *never* agree to Direct Debit again
> (and have actually not used a certain company because it was their only
> option for payment).
>
> When I was paying Telecom I'd just wait for the bill then, as long as it was
> correct I'd log into my bank on-line and transfer the money to them. (Just
> set them up as 'someone you pay regularly' once and from then on it's easy.)
>
> I understand you don't want to do this Geo? It's pretty safe, I've been
> doing on-line bill paying for about as long as it's been an option in NZ and
> haven't had a single issue with it. Then again I always log in from home -
> never from a library or similar. <shrug>

+1

I have 6 or 8 organisations which I pay on-line. (Telecom, Power, Rates
Electricity, Credit Cards, Rubbish collection, etc) The bill arrives, I
log on to the bank account, check the date due, arrange payment the day
before, forget about it.
--
Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and
oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the

bugalugs

On 29/05/2013 11:47 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <ko24i8$coa$(E-Mail Removed)>, bugalugs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 28/05/2013 11:18 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>> snip<
>>> I wonder also if 3 day delivery is actually legal under UPU terms and
>>> conditions. I wonder if anyone has checked ?
>>>

>> Don't think the UPU has any control over how many days mail is delivered
>> on.

> But I do think it has to be regular ... and there may be a minimum number of
> times ? It's the sort of thing that might have been written into a treaty of
> that sort ?

Don't think the UPU has those sort of teeth. One of it's day-to-day
functions is as the clearing house for payments for carrying "foreign"
mail. Another is the distribution of stamps. A copy of every stamp that
is issued is sent to the UPU who distribute copies to every other
country. Pretty mundane stuff.

>> The sensible thing for 3 day deliveries would be to halve the number of
>> posties and give each postie 2 walks which they did on alternate days.

> That would be a sensible thing for the employer ... not so sensible forthe
> posties that lose their jobs.

I would think attrition and then voluntary redundancies would reduce the
number significantly.

geopelia

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 01:06:52 UTC+12, geopelia wrote:
<snip>

> I'm considering Direct Debit.

That means they will just help themselves to your bank account as they see
fit. Most of the time that should be the amount of your bill but if for some
reason they believe you have spent $5000 talking to phone sex lines in
Russia then they will still go ahead and take the money out of your account.
So you need to watch your bills very carefully.

Countdown and St John seem very good. But thanks, I'll check everything else
on DD carefully.

The Russians used to send me spam emails for Russian brides. I didn't bite
and they seem to have stopped now.
Or the spam checker stops them.
"Nyet Tovarisch!"

geopelia

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:ko3iu6$nv3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ko24i8$coa$(E-Mail Removed)>, bugalugs
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 28/05/2013 11:18 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> In article <knvm3e$a1b$(E-Mail Removed)>, "geopelia"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>>snip<
>>> I wonder also if 3 day delivery is actually legal under UPU terms and
>>> conditions. I wonder if anyone has checked ?
>>>

>>Don't think the UPU has any control over how many days mail is delivered
>>on.

> But I do think it has to be regular ... and there may be a minimum number
> of
> times ? It's the sort of thing that might have been written into a treaty
> of
> that sort ?
>

>>The sensible thing for 3 day deliveries would be to halve the number of
>>posties and give each postie 2 walks which they did on alternate days.

> That would be a sensible thing for the employer ... not so sensible forthe
> posties that lose their jobs.

There are very few outdoor jobs in a city. It would be a shame if that one
stopped.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <ko4c6c$4i6$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>On 29/05/2013 11:44 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> Suggest everyone who likes the 'talent' shows gets (and reads) a Ben Elton
>> book made of paper called "Chart throb". It would be funny ... if it wasn't
>> really hapeninging before our eyes.
>> Luckily, I loathe *all* "reality" shows. They simply aren't believeable
>> enough for me.

>Its cheaper as an ebook

Probably ... but until all the stupid DRM rubbish is fixed, I much perfer
having a real book. I prefer the smell/feel/look of it too.

John S

On Wed, 22 May 2013 01:38:32 +1200, geopelia wrote:

> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
>
> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say anything
> about paying by cheque.
> I've asked about that and will see what they say.
> Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
> think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
> I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of those
> who don't have one?
>
> I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop accepting
> cheques.
> Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
> phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.
>
> What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.
>
> I await developments.

Hi Geo,

I see from one of your responses to this discussion that you have a credit
card.

You can pay Telecom by credit card, and they automatically charge to your
card on the due date.

I've been doing this for some time.

However, from 1 August this year they've advised me that they will charge a
1.5% fee for credit card transactions.

If you are paying a monthly bill of, say $50, then 1.5% will be 75 cents -
less than the cost of a stamp plus envelope plus cheque?

Telecom don't seem to advertise or encourage this method of payment, so you
need to phone their accounts section to set it up.

Maybe worth investigating for your needs?

Cheers,

John S

geopelia

"John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1ow80my7xi0p$.fivynx3eu581$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 22 May 2013 01:38:32 +1200, geopelia wrote:
>
>> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
>>
>> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
>> anything
>> about paying by cheque.
>> I've asked about that and will see what they say.
>> Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
>> think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
>> I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of
>> those
>> who don't have one?
>>
>> I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop
>> accepting
>> cheques.
>> Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
>> phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.
>>
>> What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.
>>
>> I await developments.

> Hi Geo,
>
> I see from one of your responses to this discussion that you have a credit
> card.
>
> You can pay Telecom by credit card, and they automatically charge to your
> card on the due date.
>
> I've been doing this for some time.
>
> However, from 1 August this year they've advised me that they will charge
> 1.5% fee for credit card transactions.
>
> If you are paying a monthly bill of, say $50, then 1.5% will be 75 cents -
> less than the cost of a stamp plus envelope plus cheque?
>
> Telecom don't seem to advertise or encourage this method of payment, so
> you
> need to phone their accounts section to set it up.
>
> Maybe worth investigating for your needs?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

Thanks
I think I will get a Direct Debit from my savings account.
I use a credit card only for things I can't buy any other way. Don't believe
in shopping with one.

Frank Williams

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:27:28 +1200, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:1ow80my7xi0p$.fivynx3eu581$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 22 May 2013 01:38:32 +1200, geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
>>>
>>> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
>>> anything
>>> about paying by cheque.
>>> I've asked about that and will see what they say.
>>> Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
>>> think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
>>> I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of
>>> those
>>> who don't have one?
>>>
>>> I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop
>>> accepting
>>> cheques.
>>> Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
>>> phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.
>>>
>>> What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.
>>>
>>> I await developments.

>> Hi Geo,
>>
>> I see from one of your responses to this discussion that you have a credit
>> card.
>>
>> You can pay Telecom by credit card, and they automatically charge to your
>> card on the due date.
>>
>> I've been doing this for some time.
>>
>> However, from 1 August this year they've advised me that they will charge
>> 1.5% fee for credit card transactions.
>>
>> If you are paying a monthly bill of, say $50, then 1.5% will be 75 cents -
>> less than the cost of a stamp plus envelope plus cheque?
>>
>> Telecom don't seem to advertise or encourage this method of payment, so
>> you
>> need to phone their accounts section to set it up.
>>
>> Maybe worth investigating for your needs?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John S

>Thanks
>I think I will get a Direct Debit from my savings account.

Don't ever do that as you have no control over it, just get a Pos card
and pay the bill in the Post Office. or even by cheque at the Post
Office.

>I use a credit card only for things I can't buy any other way. Don't believe
>in shopping with one.

They are great in paying your bills as you can delay the payments for
some 30 days or more.

geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:27:28 +1200, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:1ow80my7xi0p$.fivynx3eu581$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Hi Geo,
>>>
>>> I see from one of your responses to this discussion that you have a
>>> credit
>>> card.
>>>
>>> You can pay Telecom by credit card, and they automatically charge to
>>> your
>>> card on the due date.
>>>
>>> I've been doing this for some time.
>>>
>>> However, from 1 August this year they've advised me that they will
>>> charge
>>> a
>>> 1.5% fee for credit card transactions.
>>>
>>> If you are paying a monthly bill of, say $50, then 1.5% will be 75
>>> cents -
>>> less than the cost of a stamp plus envelope plus cheque?
>>>
>>> Telecom don't seem to advertise or encourage this method of payment, so
>>> you
>>> need to phone their accounts section to set it up.
>>>
>>> Maybe worth investigating for your needs?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> John S

>>Thanks
>>I think I will get a Direct Debit from my savings account.

> Don't ever do that as you have no control over it, just get a Pos card
> and pay the bill in the Post Office. or even by cheque at the Post
> Office.

What is a Pos card?
Getting to a Post Office is a problem.

>>I use a credit card only for things I can't buy any other way. Don't
>>believe
>>in shopping with one.
>>

> They are great in paying your bills as you can delay the payments for
> some 30 days or more.

I prefer to pay right away. With interest rates so low, there isn't much
point in delaying payment from a Bank account.

Frank Williams

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 18:12:28 +1200, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:27:28 +1200, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:1ow80my7xi0p$.fivynx3eu581$(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Thanks
>>>I think I will get a Direct Debit from my savings account.

>> Don't ever do that as you have no control over it, just get a Pos card
>> and pay the bill in the Post Office. or even by cheque at the Post
>> Office.

>What is a Pos card?

Point of Sale card

>Getting to a Post Office is a problem.
>
>>>I use a credit card only for things I can't buy any other way. Don't
>>>believe
>>>in shopping with one.
>>>

>> They are great in paying your bills as you can delay the payments for
>> some 30 days or more.

>I prefer to pay right away. With interest rates so low, there isn't much
>point in delaying payment from a Bank account.

You don't pay any interest if you pay it all in the 30 days..

Plus there is if you don't have the money in it at the time you make the
purchase..