Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > I'd like to try Perl...

I'd like to try Perl...

Peter Percival

I'd like to try Perl on Win 7 and according to this:
http://www.perl.org/get.html, it's a choice between ActiveState,
Strawberry and DWIM. Any advice on choosing between them would be welcome.

Dr.Ruud

On 20/05/2013 16:04, Peter Percival wrote:

> I'd like to try Perl on Win 7 and according to this:
> http://www.perl.org/get.html, it's a choice between ActiveState,
> Strawberry and DWIM. Any advice on choosing between them would be welcome.

Consider CitrusPerl as well, as it includes Wx + DBI.
http://www.citrusperl.com/

StrawberryPerl already provides 5.18.0.1.

CitrusPerl is at 5.16.3.

--
Ruud

Marc Girod

On May 20, 3:04*pm, Peter Percival <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'd like to try Perl on Win 7 and according to this:http://www.perl.org/get.html, it's a choice between ActiveState,
> Strawberry and DWIM. *Any advice on choosing between them would be welcome.

ActivePerl is compiled with a Microsoft compiler (the Visual C++
Express Edition is available for free), and Strawberry with a bundled
gcc.
This will impact the ease with which CPAN modules interfacing with
shared libraries will drop.

Note also the Cygwin option...

Marc

Peter Percival

Marc Girod wrote:
> On May 20, 3:04 pm, Peter Percival <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'd like to try Perl on Win 7 and according to this:http://www.perl.org/get.html, it's a choice between ActiveState,
>> Strawberry and DWIM. Any advice on choosing between them would be welcome.

> ActivePerl is compiled with a Microsoft compiler (the Visual C++
> Express Edition is available for free

I didn't know that. Thank you for drawing my attention to it.

> ), and Strawberry with a bundled
> gcc.
> This will impact the ease with which CPAN modules interfacing with
> shared libraries will drop.

Maybe both then!

> Note also the Cygwin option...
>
> Marc

John Black

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Note also the Cygwin option...

Yeah, spend a few minutes checking out the cygwin environment. I started with Strawberry
Perl and ended up removing it and installing cygwin. You get perl and tons more if you want.
You choose what you want installed or not installed but what you end up with is an
environment and set of tools that looks like and includes most of what you get with Unix. In
fact, when I'm in a cygwin terminal, I can pretty much behave as if its a unix window and
everything seems to work as I expect.

John Black

Peter Percival

Marc Girod wrote:

> Note also the Cygwin option...

I have Cygwin and did not realize that Perl was included . I suspect
that's true of a lot of Cygwin things.

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant

Peter Percival

Peter Percival wrote:
> I'd like to try Perl on Win 7 and according to this:
> http://www.perl.org/get.html, it's a choice between ActiveState,
> Strawberry and DWIM. Any advice on choosing between them would be welcome.

I have "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" by Schwartz, Olson and
Christiansen. It's the right level for me, but I need something for
Windows 7 specifically, and suggestions?

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant
Behind /another/ Elephant who isn't really there....
A.A. Milne

Jürgen Exner

Peter Percival <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Peter Percival wrote:
>> I'd like to try Perl on Win 7 and according to this:
>> http://www.perl.org/get.html, it's a choice between ActiveState,
>> Strawberry and DWIM. Any advice on choosing between them would be welcome.

>I have "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" by Schwartz, Olson and
>Christiansen. It's the right level for me, but I need something for
>Windows 7 specifically,

Luckily Perl is blissfully independant and ignorant of any OS version.
Therefore unless you are doing some very specialized coding for a
specific OS-version there is no need for any OS-version specific
learning.

jue

Peter Percival

Jürgen Exner wrote:
> Peter Percival <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Peter Percival wrote:
>>> I'd like to try Perl on Win 7 and according to this:
>>> http://www.perl.org/get.html, it's a choice between ActiveState,
>>> Strawberry and DWIM. Any advice on choosing between them would be welcome.

>> I have "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" by Schwartz, Olson and
>> Christiansen. It's the right level for me, but I need something for
>> Windows 7 specifically,

> Luckily Perl is blissfully independant and ignorant of any OS version.
> Therefore unless you are doing some very specialized coding for a
> specific OS-version there is no need for any OS-version specific
> learning.

Strawberry 5.16 seems not to understand

use Win32::NetAdmin;

I guess that's because Win 7 doesn't have a Win32, but I may have
misunderstood.

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant
Behind /another/ Elephant who isn't really there....
A.A. Milne

johannes falcone

try trannies too