Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vodafone prepay topup "Hotlink" service discontinued

Vodafone prepay topup "Hotlink" service discontinued

John Little

My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone using the
ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink". This has been turned
off, and I can't see any way to top up online that does not involve a credit
or debit card, which she does not have. Is there a way to top up a prepay
dumbphone without going to a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?

--
Regards, John Little

JohnO

On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone using the
> ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink". This has been turned
> off, and I can't see any way to top up online that does not involve a credit
> or debit card, which she does not have. Is there a way to top up a prepay
> dumbphone without going to a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
>
> --
>
> Regards, John Little

Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.

I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

Enkidu

On 20/05/13 08:01, JohnO wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
>> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone
>> using the ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink".
>> This has been turned off, and I can't see any way to top up online
>> that does not involve a credit or debit card, which she does not
>> have. Is there a way to top up a prepay dumbphone without going to
>> a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards, John Little

> Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay
> options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.
>
> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos
> card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

I wouldn't describe it like that (though I see what you mean). I think
of it more as a direct replacement for cheques.

When I first tried eftpos I got charged twice for one transaction, in
spite of the fact that the retailer, the eftpos firm and the bank swore
that it couldn't happen.

Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy too.)

Cheers,

Cliff

Gordon

On 2013-05-19, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
>>> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone using the
>>> ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink". This has been turned
>>> off, and I can't see any way to top up online that does not involve a credit
>>> or debit card, which she does not have. Is there a way to top up a prepay
>>> dumbphone without going to a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards, John Little

>>Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.
>>
>>I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

> This sounds the same as Telecom did about a month ago with their
> Mtopup system. It was real good for Prepay without a CC..
>
> Wonder if it's being driven from the banks to discontinue services
> that don't use credit cards..

Or do not make a profit, so they upped the price so the telcos stopped it.

Richard

On 5/20/2013 9:01 PM, EMB wrote:
> On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
>> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
>>> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
>>> 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy
>>> too.)

>> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a lot of
>> reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue) being debited.
>> Of course the banks say this is impossible...
>>

> Reality seems to disagree http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804

I have had present one card show when trying to pay with one of my
contactless cards when my wallet was in my other hand a good 350mm off
to one side. Had to put it down to get it to not read the one I wanted
to read. Perhaps there is some other thru body coupling or something
going on.

So long as its not a debit card I have no worries about it. Wonder how
it goes doing a chargeback on a card based on not wanting to charge it
to that card. Like I dont put things under $250 on my gem visa, if
something went thru on it when I didnt want it to would it be a huge
challange to get it reversed or not?

John Little

JohnO wrote:

> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card.

A debit card may not be appropriate for a child, as it enables unsupervised
internet spending. In this case I don't have much concern about this, she's
old enough now, but I wonder.

--
Regards, John Little

JohnO

On May 20, 3:41*pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 20/05/13 08:01, JohnO wrote:
>

> > On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little *wrote:
> >> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone
> >> using the ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink".
> >> This has been turned off, and I can't see any way to top up online
> >> that does not involve a credit or debit card, which she does not
> >> have. *Is there a way to top up a prepay dumbphone without going to
> >> a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?

> >> --

> >> Regards, John Little

> > Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay
> > options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.

> > I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos
> > card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

> I wouldn't describe it like that (though I see what you mean). I think
> of it more as a direct replacement for cheques.
>
> When I first tried eftpos I got charged twice for one transaction, in
> spite of the fact that the retailer, the eftpos firm and the bank swore
> that it couldn't happen.
>
> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
> 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy too.)

Seems like a risk to me. The visa guy interviewed on TV seemed to
think that as the proximity required is ~ 1cm that people won't get
skimmed but we'll see.

Also there seems to be a risk of getting charged twice. I tried this
technology yesterday. The first tap didn't work. Or did it? I needed
to tap it again to get a transaction. I was careful to check the
transaction online today for a duplicate - the bother of which
cancelled the convenience of the tap transaction.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <51999b81$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 20/05/13 08:01, JohnO wrote:
>> On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
>>> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone
>>> using the ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink".
>>> This has been turned off, and I can't see any way to top up online
>>> that does not involve a credit or debit card, which she does not
>>> have. Is there a way to top up a prepay dumbphone without going to
>>> a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
>>> Regards, John Little

>> Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay
>> options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.
>>
>> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos
>> card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

>I wouldn't describe it like that (though I see what you mean). I think
>of it more as a direct replacement for cheques.

It's not a direct replacement for cheques cos I can't put a "card wave" into
an envelope and post it. Neither can I pay for things more than $80 using
that system.

>When I first tried eftpos I got charged twice for one transaction, in
>spite of the fact that the retailer, the eftpos firm and the bank swore
>that it couldn't happen.

That has happened to me as well. Only once though and it was fixed quickly.
I was particularly amazed that a retailer could simply write my eftpos card
number on a bit of paper with the amount, send that off to the bank, and my
card would be charged. It was - I signed/OKed nothing at all. Their
machine was broken at the time but still ...

>Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
>anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
>'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy too.)

Actually, that's the *only* thing about the chip card I like.
The idea that a PIN makes a credit card *more* secure seems completely wrong
to me. I don't have a PIN ... so it can't be guessed/read from the card. Now
that's secure.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <kncuuj$faq$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 20/05/2013 10:39 p.m., John Little wrote:
>> JohnO wrote:
>>
>>> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card.

>> A debit card may not be appropriate for a child, as it enables unsupervised
>> internet spending. In this case I don't have much concern about this, she's
>> old enough now, but I wonder.
>>

>Buy at the local dairy/supermarket/etc or use an ASB ATM to grab a topup
>- it works for my teenager sans credit card.

... perhaps a really good question might be ... why should we encourage them
?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
>> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
>>> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
>>> 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically
>>> dodgy too.)

>> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a lot of
>> reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue) being
>> debited. Of course the banks say this is impossible...
>>

> Reality seems to disagree http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804

Bugger that! I might have to line my wallet with tin-foil!

(I got a contactless-enabled card issued last time around - I didn't ask for
it and when I rang about not wanting it at first I was told there'd be a $20
fee for a "replacement card". After a couple of minutes of listrening to me
they retracted that - but it would have involved quite a bit of drama to get
a replacement and not get charged. Like, going to the branch, quoting a
bloody long number..... So I didn't bother.)

I didn't know about this sort of carry-on then though.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)