Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to Download Remote SQL Server Database to Desktop for Development (Desktop Has MSDE & Visual Studio .Net)

How to Download Remote SQL Server Database to Desktop for Development (Desktop Has MSDE & Visual Studio .Net)

TC

Hello All,

I apology for posting to many groups but I wasn't sure which group would be
best targeted with my question.

I have inherited an ASP.Net application that requires some maintenance & bug
fixes. I have been asked to also download a copy of the remote SQL Server
database that it uses on the background for potential maintenance and
changes as well.

The application runs fine from my development environment on my desktop.

Does anybody have any experience, advice or answers regarding a method(s) to
download & use a remotely stored SQL Server database?

Thanks & Regards,

TC

Jack Jackson

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:19:53 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I apology for posting to many groups but I wasn't sure which group would be
>best targeted with my question.
>
>I have inherited an ASP.Net application that requires some maintenance & bug
>fixes. I have been asked to also download a copy of the remote SQL Server
>database that it uses on the background for potential maintenance and
>changes as well.
>
>The application runs fine from my development environment on my desktop.
>
>Does anybody have any experience, advice or answers regarding a method(s) to
>download & use a remotely stored SQL Server database?

If I understand what you want:

Create a backup of the database
Transfer the backup to your computer
Install SQL Server on your computer
Create a database and restore the backup.

TC

Hey Jack,

The backup is already created remotely by someone else.

Basically, I need to transfer a copy to my computer. I was also wondering
if I can work on the database using the MSDE that installs with Visual
Studio?

When completed with any changes, yes, I would like to be able to then upload
it up to the remote server.

Thanks & Regards,

TC

"Jack Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:19:53 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>I apology for posting to many groups but I wasn't sure which group would
>>be
>>best targeted with my question.
>>
>>I have inherited an ASP.Net application that requires some maintenance &
>>bug
>>fixes. I have been asked to also download a copy of the remote SQL Server
>>database that it uses on the background for potential maintenance and
>>changes as well.
>>
>>The application runs fine from my development environment on my desktop.
>>
>>Does anybody have any experience, advice or answers regarding a method(s)
>>download & use a remotely stored SQL Server database?
>>

> If I understand what you want:
>
> Create a backup of the database
> Transfer the backup to your computer
> Install SQL Server on your computer
> Create a database and restore the backup.

oj

You should be able to use the backup copy of the database. Be aware that
there are limitations depending on the source and target editions.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluat...ew/default.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268361
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546

--
-oj

"TC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I apology for posting to many groups but I wasn't sure which group would
> be best targeted with my question.
>
> I have inherited an ASP.Net application that requires some maintenance &
> bug fixes. I have been asked to also download a copy of the remote SQL
> Server database that it uses on the background for potential maintenance
> and changes as well.
>
> The application runs fine from my development environment on my desktop.
>
> Does anybody have any experience, advice or answers regarding a method(s)
> to download & use a remotely stored SQL Server database?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> TC

JohnnyAppleseed

To restore a copy of the production database to your local development
server, just ask the network admin to set you up with a read-only login for
the folder where the database backups are maintained. You can then retore
the a full backup file to your server. Transferring logins and permissions
is a pain in the ass (it sometimes requires excuting system SPs manually for
each login), so you will probably want to do this type of full restore only
once.

Once done, generate scripts for any SPs, table changes, etc. that you make
in development, and deploy only the scripts to production (remember to
include the permissions option) when generating the scripts.

I would not reccoment restoring the database from development back to
production. This would present some very nasty logistical problems when
trying to maintain data, permissions and server uptime. After all, you can
spend half a day debuging your development database, but having the
production database offline for that much time could be a disaster.