Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1?

Robert Carnegie

Since I'm following this group anyway, what will be in Windows 8.1,
when will it be out, and how much will it cost to upgrade an existing
device from Windows 8?

....64-bit version, that is (probably).

I suppose it is probably too early to ask.

I put off buying a Windows 8 device because I didn't like the look of
Win 8 - I tried it on a spare netbook - then for other reasons I didn't
do it yet, and now I'm wondering whether to wait for the next thing.
But currently my "main" device is a slim 32-bit Windows 7 tablet with
serious faults, so, my previous main device, quite a heavy 64-bit
Windows 7 machine with a tablet mode, is still getting a lot of use.

Robert Carnegie

On Monday, 13 May 2013 03:09:40 UTC+1, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> Since I'm following this group anyway, what will be in Windows 8.1,
> when will it be out, and how much will it cost to upgrade an existing
> device from Windows 8?
>
> ...64-bit version, that is (probably).

I have some news now, from "The Inquirer" and

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/b...ng-better.aspx

....yes, that is what it says.

Specifically: Windows 8.1 will be free to Win 8 users,
through the Windows Store, with a public beta release
near the end of June.

So that's to look forward to, eh?

Charlie Russel-MVP

You know as much as anyone does. We know it will be free, and we know that
non-VL versions will update through the Store. And we don't know when the
final version will actually be out, just that it should be ready in time for
the holidays. And I can work that back to tell me we should have an RTM
about the last week in August if we're going to see it on machines selling
for XMas.

--
Charlie.
http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel