Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying Adobe Elements?

Buying Adobe Elements?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >"Attach" seems to be "Mass merchant attached bundle". What does that mean?
> >Am I getting the full product? What's the catch?
> >

> The catch? If it's too good to be true, then....
>
> Expect to pay around $120, there is only 1 version of Photoshop E. 11.

street price is closer to half that.

elements is $99 msrp. anything higher than msrp and you are being
ripped off.

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:05:11 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-05-12 19:58:44 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said:
>
>> On Sun, 12 May 2013 11:47:06 +1000, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am considering buying Elements 11. It seems to come in several forms.
>>>
>>> Most vendors offer it for about $120 (AU). One is offering "Photoshop
>>> Elements 11 MP Attach ( ADOBE 65207557 )" for $35.
>>>
>>> I have worked out that "MP" means multiplatform, which is not important.
>>>
>>> "Attach" seems to be "Mass merchant attached bundle". What does that mean?
>>> Am I getting the full product? What's the catch?
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> The catch? If it's too good to be true, then....
>>
>> Expect to pay around $120, there is only 1 version of Photoshop E. 11.

>PSE11 is $99.99 from Adobe.
>If you shop at Amazon you will find it at $62.47.
>< http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65193986.../dp/B0093FROMA >
>
>Amazon also has the PSE11 + Premier Elements combo for $93.55,
>considerably less than the price of PSE11 alone directly from Adobe.
>That is if you actually need Premier.

The poster is from Australia, and will be paying in Australian
dollars. The currency converter says US$1 = A$1 (actually .9981), so
using the US price about $60 is a valid comparison.

This surprises me since someone (Eric?) was saying how much higher
Adobe products are in Australia.

I don't know how much E 11 is in Australia if you purchase it from
Adobe. I am curious, though.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

David Hare-Scott

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 11:47:06 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am considering buying Elements 11. It seems to come in several
>> forms.
>>
>> Most vendors offer it for about $120 (AU). One is offering
>> "Photoshop Elements 11 MP Attach ( ADOBE 65207557 )" for $35.
>>
>> I have worked out that "MP" means multiplatform, which is not
>> important.
>>
>> "Attach" seems to be "Mass merchant attached bundle". What does
>> that mean? Am I getting the full product? What's the catch?
>>
>> David
>>

> The catch? If it's too good to be true, then....

I keep that in mind always.

But there are bargains to be had, including where retailers bend their
arrangements with manufacturers - that are of no concern to me if *they* go
war in the courts. For example, the full version of MS Office Pro is about
$600 but I bought it for $140 as a 'student'. I am a student of many things
(and I made no misrepresentations about that) but I am probably not the
buyer MS had in mind when they struck the deal with the vendor.

David Hare-Scott

Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:05:11 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-05-12 19:58:44 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) said:

>>> The catch? If it's too good to be true, then....
>>>
>>> Expect to pay around $120, there is only 1 version of Photoshop E.
>>> 11.

>> PSE11 is $99.99 from Adobe.
>> If you shop at Amazon you will find it at $62.47.
>> <
>> http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65193986.../dp/B0093FROMA
>> >

>> Amazon also has the PSE11 + Premier Elements combo for $93.55,
>> considerably less than the price of PSE11 alone directly from Adobe.
>> That is if you actually need Premier.
>>

> The poster is from Australia, and will be paying in Australian
> dollars. The currency converter says US$1 = A$1 (actually .9981), so
> using the US price about $60 is a valid comparison.
>
> This surprises me since someone (Eric?) was saying how much higher
> Adobe products are in Australia.
>
> I don't know how much E 11 is in Australia if you purchase it from
> Adobe. I am curious, though.

If I buy it from Adobe Aust. it is $131-25 AU. This is not unusual.
Various regulatory authorities and consumer protection groups are currently
quizzing the international software and entertainment content makers as to
why Australians pay 50-100% more than the rest of the world for the same
products.

"David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> First my newsserver seems to be playing up as I clearly don't have all
> the posts in this thread (including my original) so I am replying to
> first I can get hold of. This is nothing personal about Tony Cooper or his contribution.
>
> OK some clarification. I know the difference between full Photoshop,
> Elements, Element Premiere etc. I want Adobe Photoshop Elements version
> 11 for still photography.
>
> I am in Australia. The exact price is not important. I want to know why
> one version is a third of the price of the other in the same market.
> What is meant by 'attach' or 'mass merchant attached bundle' in this
> context. I have searched the Adobe site and there nothing to clarify
> that I can find. In the context of software 'bundle' usually means you
> get something cheaper if you buy another product with it. None of the
> merchants I have checked offering this (and there are a few) care to
> explain what else is in the bundle is or if in fact it is a bundle at
> all. I begin to suspect that it is a copy that was licensed to be
> bundled with a larger purchase (eg a camera) that is now being offered
> alone. Whether Adobe would be happy with that I don't know.
>
> I was hoping that somebody would actually know the answer and save me guessing. Anybody?
>

> David

Those are usually software that are bundled with equipment. Ever bought a
camera or scanner that came with Photoshop Elements? Or a PC that came with
Microsoft Office? These are bundled together, although nowadays it seems
like bundled software increasingly need to be redeemed inatead of being
packed in the same shipment, which is annoying and perhaps meant to stop
such practices where retailers detach attached software for seperate
sale...

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > First my newsserver seems to be playing up as I clearly don't have all
> > the posts in this thread (including my original) so I am replying to
> > first I can get hold of. This is nothing personal about Tony Cooper or his contribution.
> >
> > OK some clarification. I know the difference between full Photoshop,
> > Elements, Element Premiere etc. I want Adobe Photoshop Elements version
> > 11 for still photography.
> >
> > I am in Australia. The exact price is not important. I want to know why
> > one version is a third of the price of the other in the same market.
> > What is meant by 'attach' or 'mass merchant attached bundle' in this
> > context. I have searched the Adobe site and there nothing to clarify
> > that I can find. In the context of software 'bundle' usually means you
> > get something cheaper if you buy another product with it. None of the
> > merchants I have checked offering this (and there are a few) care to
> > explain what else is in the bundle is or if in fact it is a bundle at
> > all. I begin to suspect that it is a copy that was licensed to be
> > bundled with a larger purchase (eg a camera) that is now being offered
> > alone. Whether Adobe would be happy with that I don't know.
> >
> > I was hoping that somebody would actually know the answer and save me guessing. Anybody?
> >

> > David

> Those are usually software that are bundled with equipment. Ever bought a
> camera or scanner that came with Photoshop Elements? Or a PC that came with
> Microsoft Office? These are bundled together, although nowadays it seems
> like bundled software increasingly need to be redeemed inatead of being
> packed in the same shipment, which is annoying and perhaps meant to stop
> such practices where retailers detach attached software for seperate
> sale...

I can understand the need. I used to work for a Leading Edge dealer
where the owner would pull the bundled software and put it on the shelf.
Why he thought anybody would pay money for Leading Edge Word Processing
was always a mystery though.

Mayayana

| i can't find anything about a lawsuit involving buycheapsoftware.com
|
| however, i am finding a slew of reports about how much they rip off
| customers.

I've had good luck with them 2 or 3 times, but I
don't have enough experience to talk about the pros
and cons of different online dealers.

| it looks like the lawsuit you might be thinking of is softman v. adobe:
| <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftMan_Products_Co._v._Adobe_Systems_Inc.>

Could be. It was a long time ago.

Mayayana

| The catch? If it's too good to be true, then....

....One should be cautious, but it doesn't necessarily
indicate a bad deal. One can pay a vast range of
prices for a Windows disk, for instance. All of them
are legal. The OEM version doesn't come with support
or the ability to install to a second PC, but usually
those limitations are not relevant and one can save
over $100 buying OEM. Even within OEM, sometimes
one finds something like a Dell branded disk for even
less than the normal OEM. It's legal. It's functional.
Dell buys lots from Microsoft. (Probably a lot of the
claimed 100 million sales of Windows 8 are just licenses
sold in lots to OEMs at discount, so that Microsoft
doesn't have to admit failure.) Later Dell (or other
companies) may be left with a lot of leftover licenses
which they're happy to sell at bargain prices.

Mayayana

| I simply encouraged some caution and the need to check with
| Adobe.

I'm not so sure about the advice to check with Adobe,
or any other company. They don't like discount sales.
Even if the product is legitimate and legal, Adobe people
might try to warn against it and imply that it's somehow
deficient or shady.

(Apropos of that:
Today in the NYT Adobe has a fullpage ad for their
cloud services, in which they say it's a "myth" that
people don't like to be personally targetted for online
ads. They may not be lying, exactly. Surely some people
don't mind being targetted. But Adobe is certainly not
telling the truth.

Mayayana

| For example, the full version of MS Office Pro is about
| $600 but I bought it for $140 as a 'student'. I am a student of many
things
| (and I made no misrepresentations about that) but I am probably not the
| buyer MS had in mind when they struck the deal with the vendor.

No, indeed.
http://www.microsoft.com/education/e.../eligible.aspx

http://msdnaa.oit.umass.edu/Neula.asp
(See section 4.5.)

Usually you have to show an ID to buy the academic version.
It seems questionable whether such a license restriction is really
legal. What if a student friend buys it and gives it to you? But
these companies have a lot more money, lawyers and lobbyists
than you do, so what's legal has little to do with it.

So you might not want to advertise your shopping history. And
if you ever get rich selling a best-selling novel, you might want
to re-save your pages in Libre Office so that you're not shipping
them with incriminating, embedded ID numbers.