Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Grandstream BT200

Grandstream BT200

Woody

I have just acquired one of these beasties and it set up and
registered with my voip provider through its web interface
quickly amd easily.

I went into it to change the ringing cadence to make it similar
to UK. When I rebooted it went off line (deregistered) and would
not reconnect.

So I did a full reset on it - MISTAKE! It has come back with DHCP
on and collected its IP address from my router (and for that
matter the time as well.) However whenever I try to access its
browser interface to set it up again it rejects the password I
enter - that is any password I can think of including 'admin'
which is its default.

Anyone come across this or got any ideas? Grandstream seem pretty
hopeless at support as far as I can see.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Graham.

On Fri, 10 May 2013 20:57:31 +0100, "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have just acquired one of these beasties and it set up and
>registered with my voip provider through its web interface
>quickly amd easily.
>
>I went into it to change the ringing cadence to make it similar
>to UK. When I rebooted it went off line (deregistered) and would
>not reconnect.
>
>So I did a full reset on it - MISTAKE! It has come back with DHCP
>on and collected its IP address from my router (and for that
>matter the time as well.) However whenever I try to access its
>browser interface to set it up again it rejects the password I
>enter - that is any password I can think of including 'admin'
>which is its default.
>
>Anyone come across this or got any ideas? Grandstream seem pretty
>hopeless at support as far as I can see.

Is it possible it was origanaly locked to a provider and subsequently
unlocked, and you resetting it has loaded the defaults which
reprovisioned it?

Just thinking alowed really, I have no idea if the BT200 supports
remote provisioning, but one of my PAP2s would become a Vonage brick
if I made the same mistake.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Woody

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 10 May 2013 20:57:31 +0100, "Woody"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have just acquired one of these beasties and it set up and
>>registered with my voip provider through its web interface
>>quickly amd easily.
>>
>>I went into it to change the ringing cadence to make it similar
>>to UK. When I rebooted it went off line (deregistered) and
>>would
>>not reconnect.
>>
>>So I did a full reset on it - MISTAKE! It has come back with
>>DHCP
>>on and collected its IP address from my router (and for that
>>matter the time as well.) However whenever I try to access its
>>browser interface to set it up again it rejects the password I
>>enter - that is any password I can think of including 'admin'
>>which is its default.
>>
>>Anyone come across this or got any ideas? Grandstream seem
>>pretty
>>hopeless at support as far as I can see.

> Is it possible it was origanaly locked to a provider and
> subsequently
> unlocked, and you resetting it has loaded the defaults which
> reprovisioned it?
>
> Just thinking alowed really, I have no idea if the BT200
> supports
> remote provisioning, but one of my PAP2s would become a Vonage
> brick
> if I made the same mistake.

Thanks for the reply. The phone, when bought a few days ago,
was/is brand new and boxed. It had never had any settings in it
other than default as far as I can see.

The handbook says that after a hard reset as I have done -
twice - the admin password is admin and it is that that is being
rejected.

I have resigned myself to this being a 24 (inc postage) brick.
You live and learn, or at least you are supposed to!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

tony sayer

In article <kmjj8e$ri3$(E-Mail Removed)>, Woody <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribeth thus
>I have just acquired one of these beasties and it set up and
>registered with my voip provider through its web interface
>quickly amd easily.
>
>I went into it to change the ringing cadence to make it similar
>to UK. When I rebooted it went off line (deregistered) and would
>not reconnect.
>
>So I did a full reset on it - MISTAKE! It has come back with DHCP
>on and collected its IP address from my router (and for that
>matter the time as well.) However whenever I try to access its
>browser interface to set it up again it rejects the password I
>enter - that is any password I can think of including 'admin'
>which is its default.
>
>Anyone come across this or got any ideas? Grandstream seem pretty
>hopeless at support as far as I can see.

Try "admin" and then "123"

You shouldn't really be locked out like that. I remember we set up some
of these or similar units a while ago and it was something odd the
password or there just wasn't one!..

Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer

Graham.

On Fri, 10 May 2013 22:12:48 +0100, "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 20:57:31 +0100, "Woody"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have just acquired one of these beasties and it set up and
>>>registered with my voip provider through its web interface
>>>quickly amd easily.
>>>
>>>I went into it to change the ringing cadence to make it similar
>>>to UK. When I rebooted it went off line (deregistered) and
>>>would
>>>not reconnect.
>>>
>>>So I did a full reset on it - MISTAKE! It has come back with
>>>DHCP
>>>on and collected its IP address from my router (and for that
>>>matter the time as well.) However whenever I try to access its
>>>browser interface to set it up again it rejects the password I
>>>enter - that is any password I can think of including 'admin'
>>>which is its default.
>>>
>>>Anyone come across this or got any ideas? Grandstream seem
>>>pretty
>>>hopeless at support as far as I can see.

>> Is it possible it was origanaly locked to a provider and
>> subsequently
>> unlocked, and you resetting it has loaded the defaults which
>> reprovisioned it?
>>
>> Just thinking alowed really, I have no idea if the BT200
>> supports
>> remote provisioning, but one of my PAP2s would become a Vonage
>> brick
>> if I made the same mistake.
>>

>Thanks for the reply. The phone, when bought a few days ago,
>was/is brand new and boxed. It had never had any settings in it
>other than default as far as I can see.
>
>The handbook says that after a hard reset as I have done -
>twice - the admin password is admin and it is that that is being
>rejected.
>
>I have resigned myself to this being a 24 (inc postage) brick.
>You live and learn, or at least you are supposed to!

Try user=admin password=123

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Woody

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 10 May 2013 22:12:48 +0100, "Woody"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 20:57:31 +0100, "Woody"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Is it possible it was origanaly locked to a provider and
>>> subsequently
>>> unlocked, and you resetting it has loaded the defaults which
>>> reprovisioned it?
>>>
>>> Just thinking alowed really, I have no idea if the BT200
>>> supports
>>> remote provisioning, but one of my PAP2s would become a
>>> Vonage
>>> brick
>>> if I made the same mistake.
>>>

>>Thanks for the reply. The phone, when bought a few days ago,
>>was/is brand new and boxed. It had never had any settings in it
>>other than default as far as I can see.
>>
>>The handbook says that after a hard reset as I have done -
>>twice - the admin password is admin and it is that that is
>>being
>>rejected.
>>
>>I have resigned myself to this being a 24 (inc postage) brick.
>>You live and learn, or at least you are supposed to!

> Try user=admin password=123
>
> --

Who's been looking at the manual then?

You only get the option to enter a password, not a username. If
you enter 'admin' you go into admin mode, if you enter '123' you
go into user mode. Simples. Trouble is neither work!

However in the light of your comment about Vonage ATA's (yes, I
have a couple of them as well!!) I have mailed the original
supplier just in case they did change the default password.

Time will tell no doubt.................

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Woody

"Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kmjphe$po$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 22:12:48 +0100, "Woody"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Thanks for the reply. The phone, when bought a few days ago,
>>>was/is brand new and boxed. It had never had any settings in
>>>it
>>>other than default as far as I can see.
>>>
>>>The handbook says that after a hard reset as I have done -
>>>twice - the admin password is admin and it is that that is
>>>being
>>>rejected.
>>>
>>>I have resigned myself to this being a 24 (inc postage)
>>>brick.
>>>You live and learn, or at least you are supposed to!

>> Try user=admin password=123
>>
>> --

> Who's been looking at the manual then?
>
> You only get the option to enter a password, not a username. If
> you enter 'admin' you go into admin mode, if you enter '123'
> you go into user mode. Simples. Trouble is neither work!
>
> However in the light of your comment about Vonage ATA's (yes, I
> have a couple of them as well!!) I have mailed the original
> supplier just in case they did change the default password.
>
> Time will tell no doubt.................
>

> --

Later last night I noticed the phone was and still is on line. I
tried to make a call and it asked me to end my Freewire ID or
voucher code. This is a 'service' provided for university
students so I have a horrible feeling the phone may be hard
coded.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Theo Markettos

Woody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Later last night I noticed the phone was and still is on line. I
> tried to make a call and it asked me to end my Freewire ID or
> voucher code. This is a 'service' provided for university
> students so I have a horrible feeling the phone may be hard
> coded.

There's a replacement firmware here:
http://devel.0cpm.org/firmerware/

Installing it looks rather involved, but the reverse engineering notes may
be of use.

Theo

Andrew Benham

On 13/05/13 17:26, Andrew Benham wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2013 16:16:35 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 May 2013 05:54:02 +0100, Woody wrote:
>>
>>> "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:kmjphe$po$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Later last night I noticed the phone was and still is on line. I tried
>>> to make a call and it asked me to end my Freewire ID or voucher code.
>>> This is a 'service' provided for university students so I have a
>>> horrible feeling the phone may be hard coded.

>> I suspect the phone may have custom firmware, or perhaps a custom
>> default configuration.
>> Can you Wireshark the phone booting up, and see if it makes any query to
>> download firmware or config ? It's a while since I used my BT200, but I
>> think it attempts to talk to a TFTP server every time it boots (of
>> course, I may have configured it to do that). If it does, then you have
>> a path to get a different firmware or config onto the phone.
>>
>> I'm sure I've updated my BT200 firmware from
>> http://grandstream.com/support/downloads.html
>> in the past, but that seems down at the moment.

> BT200 firmware 1.1.6.16 is available at:
> http://soho66.co.uk/CMS/files/firmware%5B1%5D.html
> I don't know how recent that is.

Not very, I've just found BT200 firmware 1.2.5.3 (dated 9 December 2010)
stored on an old computer here.

Andrew Benham

On 13/05/13 17:16, Andrew Benham wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 05:54:02 +0100, Woody wrote:
>
>> "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:kmjphe$po$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Who's been looking at the manual then?
>>>
>>> You only get the option to enter a password, not a username. If you
>>> enter 'admin' you go into admin mode, if you enter '123' you go into
>>> user mode. Simples. Trouble is neither work!
>>>
>>> However in the light of your comment about Vonage ATA's (yes, I have a
>>> couple of them as well!!) I have mailed the original supplier just in
>>> case they did change the default password.
>>>
>>> Time will tell no doubt.................
>>>

>>> --

>> Later last night I noticed the phone was and still is on line. I tried
>> to make a call and it asked me to end my Freewire ID or voucher code.
>> This is a 'service' provided for university students so I have a
>> horrible feeling the phone may be hard coded.

> I suspect the phone may have custom firmware, or perhaps a custom default
> configuration.
> Can you Wireshark the phone booting up, and see if it makes any query to
> download firmware or config ? It's a while since I used my BT200, but I
> think it attempts to talk to a TFTP server every time it boots (of
> course, I may have configured it to do that). If it does, then you have
> a path to get a different firmware or config onto the phone.
>
> I'm sure I've updated my BT200 firmware from
> http://grandstream.com/support/downloads.html
> in the past, but that seems down at the moment.

1.2.5.3 is the latest firmware available for the BT200:
http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware

You can configure the BT200 to upgrade firmware from a TFTP server from
the keypad - Menu, option 06, enter the IP address, Menu to save, reboot
the phone and it should download and upgrade the firmware.

Has anyone used those Grandstream VOIP phone?? SniperSquad VOIP 13 01-24-2004 12:38 AM
Direct IP dialing with Grandstream HandyTone 286 behind NAT? SniperSquad VOIP 1 01-09-2004 06:33 PM
Anyone used a Grandstream HandyTone 286 with Draytek Router?? SniperSquad VOIP 0 01-07-2004 10:57 PM
Grandstream Phones VoIP Guy VOIP 0 11-12-2003 05:28 AM
grandstream phone review Hugo Drax VOIP 0 10-08-2003 03:41 AM

Advertisments