Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > KB2799926 warning

KB2799926 warning

Robert Coe

On Sun, 12 May 2013 12:20:11 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
:
: OK. The report [on "Organic Imaging"].
:
: The .dmg download was uneventful.
: The installer is definitely a not what I would have expected of an
: Apple compliant install. That said I went for the simplest install. The
: two stage, two piece install is odd, but worked out in the end.
: The App moved into the "Applications" folder, and the "Organic Imaging"
: folder with all its contents ended up in my User folder.
: Examining the "Organic Imaging" work files folder reveals it to be all Java.
: The only RAW files it handles are Canon CR2.
:
: Here is the manual. This thing seems to be very Windowsish:
: < http://www.organicimaging.com/sites/.../manual_en.pdf >
: All it seems capable of is a set of basic
: exposure/brightness/contrast/saturation adjustments.

If that's all it does, and its only RAW mode is .CR2, you might as well use
Canon's Digital Photo Professional. It does those things and more; it comes
free with a Canon camera; and there's a version for the Mac (although I've
used it only on Windows computers). It isn't perfect, but it does what it does
pretty well. One thing it has, that some here have complained about other
editors not having, is a very good aspect-ratio-based cropping tool.

Bob

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If that's all it does, and its only RAW mode is .CR2,

it doesn't do *any* raw at all.

Robert Coe

On Sun, 19 May 2013 08:31:39 -0700, Savageduck
: On 2013-05-19 05:25:32 -0700, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: > On Sun, 12 May 2013 12:20:11 -0700, Savageduck
: > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: > :
[...]
: >
: > If that's all it does, and its only RAW mode is .CR2, you might as
: > well use Canon's Digital Photo Professional. It does those things and
: > more; it comes free with a Canon camera; and there's a version for
: > the Mac (although I've used it only on Windows computers). It isn't
: > perfect, but it does what it does pretty well. One thing it has, that
: > some here have complained about other editors not having, is a very
: > good aspect-ratio-based cropping tool.
: >
: > Bob
:
: If all you have available and don't want to spend additional $$$, then
: DPP will get your images through RAW(CR2) conversion and some
: adjustment. I have a copy which came with my G11, and I have used it,
: and I can confirm that it works. However, when compared with what is
: available for the Mac other than Photoshop it is not a great performer.
: Both Lightroom and PSE are far superior to DPP and I would use either
: of those, separately or together before depending on DPP.

DPP has evolved considerably over the several years I've been using it. I
don't know enough about Lightroom to question your conclusion, but any
comments regarding DPP should be based on familiarity with the most recent
version.

Bob