Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The disappearance of darkness

The disappearance of darkness

Trevor

> As far as homeopathic remedies are concerned, the philosophy of
> "homeopathic dilution" means there is no trace of the active substance in
> the particular remedy, and its effectiveness is totally dependent on the
> placebo effect.

Right.

> Homeopathic remedies are worse than snake oil.

Not necessarily, at least they are less likely to have any undesireable side
effects, other than to your wallet of course!

Trevor.

Trevor

> On 2013-05-17 21:15:30 -0700, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>> As far as homeopathic remedies are concerned, the philosophy of
>>> "homeopathic dilution" means there is no trace of the active substance
>>> in
>>> the particular remedy, and its effectiveness is totally dependent on the
>>> placebo effect.

>> Right.
>>
>>> Homeopathic remedies are worse than snake oil.

>> Not necessarily, at least they are less likely to have any undesireable
>> side
>> effects, other than to your wallet of course!
>>

> Unless you call death an undesirable side effect when using a homeopathic
> remedy when you should have been using a conventional treatment from day
> one of a diagnosis.
> I don't believe homeopathic treatment of diabetes does too well.

So you think death is more likely from using homeopathic water than snake
oil? OTOH I simply assumed death from actual non treatment to be identical
in both cases, and the possibilty of side effects from "snake oils"
containing anything other than pure water, to be greater. If you disagree
you better spell out your basis for such a claim?
Of course I guess *actual* snake oil may fortuitously have some slight
efficacy on some ailments that water does not. AFAIK there are is no
scientific data to support that claim, but neither is there irrefutable
evidence to the contrary.

Trevor.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> So how do you use math and engineering to determine the standard by
> >> which you judge significance/insignificance?

> >put the circuit into a circuit simulator, or if you prefer, do the
> >analysis by hand. look at the results. see what difference adding a
> >fraction of an ohm to the speaker will do. hint: nothing.
> >
> >be sure to include the tolerances of all of the components, which as i
> >said, are typically 5% or more. anything less that that isn't going to
> >matter.

> You are evading the issue. None of these things enables you set a
> pass/fail stand for significance/insignificance. You are completely
> ignoring the fact that you need to set a standard before you decide
> something is significant/insignificant.

i'm not evading anything. analyze the response and compare.

really rather simple.

PeterN

On 5/18/2013 12:01 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <5196e211$0$10764$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> it doesn't take much qualifications to realize that diluting water so
>>> much so that not a single molecule of whatever substance originally was
>>> in it is no different than ordinary water and won't do anything as far
>>> as ailments go.
>>>

>> Just where did I claim such dilution. Go back and read.
>>
>>> no qualifications are needed to dismiss the silly claim that water has
>>> memory, so even though no substance is left, the water 'remembers' what
>>> used to be there.

>> And just where did I claim that water has memory?

> i didn't say you did.
>
> it's the homeopathic peddlers that make these crazy claims.

>>> isn't making fraudulent claims illegal?

>> Sometimes. It depends on the claim. But now we all know why yu refuse to
>> be pinned down to make any claim. It's called fear of incarceration.

> nonsense. more bullshit from you.
>
> meanwhile, you resort to semantics and twisting things, just to argue.
>
> if i say all and you find one lone exception, you think you've proven
> me wrong. you have not.
>
> or you just don't understand the topic and talk out your ass.

>>> he did make a mistake about that, but nobody knows if that would have
>>> saved him, including you.
>>>

>> Now just where did I say I did. You are again answering an argument,
>> never made. The death rate from pancreatic cancer is quite high. 75%
>> live less than a year after diagnosis, and 94% die within 5 years of
>> diagnosis.
>>
>> With those odds, desparation might overrule common sense.

> there are two types of pancreatic cancers. steve jobs had the less
> common form, a neuroendocrine tumor, which has a higher survival rate.
>
> but when have facts mattered to you.
>
> <http://www.sfgate.com/business/artic...r-has-high-sur
> vival-rate-2736728.php>
> Neuroendocrine tumors, the kind that Apple Chief Executive Officer
> Steve Jobs had surgically removed during the weekend, fall into a
> tiny category of pancreatic cancers that tend to grow very slowly and
> have a high survival rate, medical experts said Monday.
> The far more common adenocarcinoma variety kills 95 percent of
> patients within five years. Many people die just three to six months
> after diagnosis, although recently there have been stepped-up efforts
> to find better treatments and improve the dismal survival rates.

I have a bad habit of using words for there commonly understood meaning.
Most people communicate through language. It is certainly a fair
assumption that your choice of words conveys their commonly understood
meaning. When it turns out their meaning does not support your position
you accuse others of twisting and being argumentative. It is a rare time
that you answer a specific question. Rugt now I am on my way to do some
shooting. I leave you to your basement.
Bye
--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 17 May 2013 20:54:27 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-05-17 20:32:44 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Fri, 17 May 2013 11:48:12 -0400, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Did you expect a different answer? If yyou ask nospam how do you build a
>>> bridge, he will say math and engineering. He may even throw in
>>> metallurgy, and when you ask for details he will say you are being
>>> argumentative.

>> No, he will say talking about bridge (sic) is bashing apple (sic)
>> since no one's bringing up whatever apple's (sic) iphone (sic) digital
>> asset management app is.

>...er Tony, I don't think Peter is talking about "Adobe Bridge" or
>asset management SW, but a bridge spanning a gap over water or chasm.

What happened, Duck? Did your sense of humor migrate?

You might notice that nospam eschews capitalization, so his (Adobe)
Bridge is "bridge". And, you might notice that nospam can take any
comment and claim it's a bash on Apple.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And, you might notice that nospam can take any
> comment and claim it's a bash on Apple.

you are lying once again.

PeterN

On 5/17/2013 11:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-17 20:32:44 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Fri, 17 May 2013 11:48:12 -0400, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Did you expect a different answer? If yyou ask nospam how do you build a
>>> bridge, he will say math and engineering. He may even throw in
>>> metallurgy, and when you ask for details he will say you are being
>>> argumentative.

>> No, he will say talking about bridge (sic) is bashing apple (sic)
>> since no one's bringing up whatever apple's (sic) iphone (sic) digital
>> asset management app is.

> ...er Tony, I don't think Peter is talking about "Adobe Bridge" or asset
> management SW, but a bridge spanning a gap over water or chasm.

Methinks your pun meter was turned off.

--
PeterN

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When you analyse the response and compare it with the input, what is
> the standard by which you determine whether the difference is
> significant or insignificant?

you analyze the response using each speaker cable and compare them.

the fractional ohm differences in the cables will not have any effect
on the responses, therefore they are insignificant.

the component tolerances of the other parts will have more of an
effect, and still not significant.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> When you analyse the response and compare it with the input, what is
> >> the standard by which you determine whether the difference is
> >> significant or insignificant?

> >you analyze the response using each speaker cable and compare them.
> >
> >the fractional ohm differences in the cables will not have any effect
> >on the responses, therefore they are insignificant.
> >
> >the component tolerances of the other parts will have more of an
> >effect, and still not significant.

> Youu are changing the subject. You are talking about how to compare
> the the performance of two different systems but you continue to evade
> my question about the standard _you_ use to determine whether the
> differences are significant or insignificant.
>
> The truth is you have no standard for this and your statement that a
> particular change in cable impedance is "still not significant" is a
> mere groundless assertion on your part.

i'm not changing anything. if two amps have the same measured response,
then the change is not significant. very simple.

have you ever designed an amp?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The truth is you have no standard for this and your statement that a
> > particular change in cable impedance is "still not significant" is a
> > mere groundless assertion on your part.

> The truth is that a simple fat enough good quality copper cable will
> have so little impedance at 20 - 20,000 Hz as to be irrelevant in a coil
> speaker system.

exactly.