Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > better Kodak reorganization

better Kodak reorganization

Dale

On 05/11/2013 12:51 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand what you're proposing. But if it's that they should
> develop and market a competitor for Photoshop, I'll bet that would take more
> money than Kodak could get their hands on.

no choices is not a good idea either, Gimp, for free, is really getting
there

--
Dale

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Dale
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> no choices is not a good idea either, Gimp, for free, is really getting
> there

now it's only 10 years behind the times rather than 15 years.

it *still* lacks adjustment layers, smart objects and so much more.

even the $60 photoshop elements does more than the gimp does.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

nospam wrote:
> now it's only 10 years behind the times rather than 15 years.
>
> it *still* lacks adjustment layers, smart objects and so much more.
>
> even the $60 photoshop elements does more than the gimp does.

Considering that Adobe "accidently" released CS/2 to the world, that seems
the better choice.

Geoff.

It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoffrey S.
Mendelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > now it's only 10 years behind the times rather than 15 years.
> >
> > it *still* lacks adjustment layers, smart objects and so much more.
> >
> > even the $60 photoshop elements does more than the gimp does.

> Considering that Adobe "accidently" released CS/2 to the world, that seems
> the better choice.

consider that it's for legitimate cs2 owners only.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

nospam wrote:
> consider that it's for legitimate cs2 owners only.

They made no attempt at all to limit it to legitimate cs2 owners.

When it was announced, before the direct download links were published, you
could go to their website, and sign up for their free downloads, which
included CS2.

The "it was only for licensed users" was published in a blog, not on the
official website.

Savageduck wrote:
> ...and for Mac users out there, CS2 will not run on Intel Macs, only
> G4, or G5 Macs. That was my reason for upgrading at that time.
>< http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/ >

Probably 99% of the people that downloaded it are Windows users, and it
runs perfectly well under Windows 7 and in an XP virtual machine under
MacOS.

Since you posted the link, I suggest that people go to it and read the
disclaimer.

Geoff.

It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!

Whisky-dave

On Monday, June 3, 2013 7:33:17 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-03 11:26:15 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> Considering that Adobe "accidently" released CS/2 to the world, that seems

> >> the better choice.

> > consider that it's for legitimate cs2 owners only.

> Yup!
>
> Adobe is not giving CS2 away.
>
> ...and for Mac users out there, CS2 will not run on Intel Macs, only
>
> G4, or G5 Macs. That was my reason for upgrading at that time.
>
> < http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/ >

I have Photoshop from CS running on a intel Mac mini running snow leopard (10.6).
There were reported problems when using (command-S) save in that it could corrupt the file, so I used save as... to get around it, not that I experienced that problem. Not that I used Photoshop much anyway but it's handy on the odd occasion.
On sunday I found my shrink wrapped CD of photoshop 5 LE.

Whisky-dave

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 4:44:49 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-04 08:23:23 -0700, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> Yup!

> >> Adobe is not giving CS2 away.

> >> ...and for Mac users out there, CS2 will not run on Intel Macs, only

> >> G4, or G5 Macs. That was my reason for upgrading at that time.

> >> < http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/ >

> > I have Photoshop from CS running on a intel Mac mini running snow

> > leopard (10.6).

> > There were reported problems when using (command-S) save in that it

> > could corrupt the file, so I used save as... to get around it, not that

> > I experienced that problem. Not that I used Photoshop much anyway but

> > it's handy on the odd occasion.

> > On sunday I found my shrink wrapped CD of photoshop 5 LE.

> You don't have Photoshop CS2 running on an Intel Mac. Unless you are
>
> running it on a "Bootcamp" or virtual Windows partition.

Well I'#ll try it again tonight , it's been on there 2 years now with the occasional use, mostley cropping.

> On your Intel
>
> Mac Mini the oldest version you could run is CS3.
>
> When I bought my first Intel Mac (an MBP 17'') I had to upgrade to CS3.

When my G5 PPC imac 2 GHz screen and eventually the PSU started to fail I used migration assistant to copy most of my stuff over to the new mac mini, just to see what would happen as I'd heard about CS2, but PS appeared to be working OK.
In the summer I'm nuking and paving the mini to mountain lion.
I will clone the mac mini drive to an extrenal drive just in case I need Photoshop in the future.

> I am also running OSX 10.6.8, which I am happy with. It seems to be Win
>
> XP for Apple, in that quite a few folks have chosen not to move up to
>
> "Lion" or "Mountain Lion".

I'd go to ML not lion I've heard of issues with Lion.

>However many of the new releases and updates
>
> do not support "Snow Leopard".

Or need an intel processor, I think Rosetta was removed in ML.

>A good example of this is the Beta of
>
> Lightroom 5 which will, for Mac users, only run on OSX 10.7 & 10.8.

eventually all sofware will go that way.

Whisky-dave

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 4:44:49 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-04 08:23:23 -0700, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > I have Photoshop from CS running on a intel Mac mini running snow

> > leopard (10.6).

> > There were reported problems when using (command-S) save in that it

> > could corrupt the file, so I used save as... to get around it, not that

> > I experienced that problem. Not that I used Photoshop much anyway but

> > it's handy on the odd occasion.

> > On sunday I found my shrink wrapped CD of photoshop 5 LE.

> You don't have Photoshop CS2 running on an Intel Mac. Unless you are
>
> running it on a "Bootcamp" or virtual Windows partition.

Thought I'd added this ....

http://ask.metafilter.com/76323/Will...ntel-processor

Every now and again I copy a link and paste it and nothing comes out, I re-do the copy and it pastes OK !!!!

Running W7 & googlegroups

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoffrey S.
Mendelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > now it's only 10 years behind the times rather than 15 years.
> >
> > it *still* lacks adjustment layers, smart objects and so much more.
> >
> > even the $60 photoshop elements does more than the gimp does.

> Considering that Adobe "accidently" released CS/2 to the world, that seems
> the better choice.

they didn't accidentally release cs2 to the world. it's for legitimate
cs2 owners.

it is *not* a free ticket for anyone to download a copy and run it.
that's piracy.