Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing forexperimentation

How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing forexperimentation

Danny D

On Sun, 05 May 2013 10:03:48 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

> Where time is money, Freeware doesn't seem to cut it.

For home use, freeware is nice because, in about two minutes,
you can change this, to this (and then start from that):

George

On 5/4/2013 6:03 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sat, 4 May 2013 13:23:09 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:22:03 -0700, harry wrote:
>>
>>> I don't believe software exists that can do that.
>>> This is one job for the human brain.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Here's an example of the Hearst Castle from a Google screenshot:
>> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12848249.jpg
>>
>> I took a landscaping class at the local recreation department,
>> where we did the planning reviews with large paper blueprints.
>>
>> In that case, it was all drawn by hand after taking tedious
>> measurements, transferring to block paper, & then to blueprints.
>>
>> But, the vector blueprint above only took a split second to create
>>from a screenshot of Google maps - saving umpteen hours of drawing
>> were I to draw on graph paper to scale ... so I was just wondering
>> what is out there currently that other people use for blueprints.
>>
>> No big deal ... just curious (mostly for landscaping purposes).

> Aah but you considerably limited your options when you asked for
> Freeware. There are commercially available tools at reasonable prices,
> some of which can do quite a good job. Where time is money, Freeware
> doesn't seem to cut it.

Agree, what the OP wants is done everyday but not with free software.
Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
software allow you to save time and money.

krw@attt.bizz

On Sun, 05 May 2013 17:59:17 -0400, George <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 5/4/2013 6:03 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 May 2013 13:23:09 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Here's an example of the Hearst Castle from a Google screenshot:
>>> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12848249.jpg
>>>
>>> I took a landscaping class at the local recreation department,
>>> where we did the planning reviews with large paper blueprints.
>>>
>>> In that case, it was all drawn by hand after taking tedious
>>> measurements, transferring to block paper, & then to blueprints.
>>>
>>> But, the vector blueprint above only took a split second to create
>>>from a screenshot of Google maps - saving umpteen hours of drawing
>>> were I to draw on graph paper to scale ... so I was just wondering
>>> what is out there currently that other people use for blueprints.
>>>
>>> No big deal ... just curious (mostly for landscaping purposes).

>> Aah but you considerably limited your options when you asked for
>> Freeware. There are commercially available tools at reasonable prices,
>> some of which can do quite a good job. Where time is money, Freeware
>> doesn't seem to cut it.
>>

>Agree, what the OP wants is done everyday but not with free software.
>Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
>software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
>software allow you to save time and money.

Obviously because the function isn't worth the money asked by
"professional" software companies. There is an amazing amount of
freeware out there that is quite good. A perfect example is
"Sketchup". It's hard to beat for a 3-D modeling program for
woodworkers or homeowners and there are "professional" packages
available for those who need more function.

Danny D

On Sun, 05 May 2013 17:59:17 -0400, George wrote:

> Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
> software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
> software allow you to save time and money.

Free means, among other things, that someone wrote the software to be
distributed freely.

They distribute this way on purpose. They *want* you to use their freeware.

Just like you help me, for free, and just like I write up details to
help others, for free. Just like I post pictures, for free. And, I write
up the summary, for free.

There's nothing wrong with that.

In fact, there's almost nothing you need for casual home use that isn't
already available, for free. Just ask the folks on alt.comp.freeware for
details.

J. Clarke

In article <isw-F850B2.14024105052013@[216.168.3.50]>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On May 4, 7:27*pm, isw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Don't forget to factor in the cost of all the planning and design you'll
> > > be doing to "eliminate a connection or two". Spending a lot of
> > > time/money on that sort of design is only economical when the product
> > > will be replicated many times.

> > > Where can you buy plastic pipes in all sorts of "flexible curves", and
> > > joints at random angles to match?
> > >
> > > Isaac

> > You use flexible pipes rather than rigid ones that need all those
> > fittings.

> Which cost how much more? And are likely not as durable.

Google "PEX". Lovely stuff to work with--cut it with a knife, connect
it with a crimper.

George

On 5/5/2013 7:14 PM, Danny D wrote:
> On Sun, 05 May 2013 17:59:17 -0400, George wrote:
>
>> Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
>> software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
>> software allow you to save time and money.

> Free means, among other things, that someone wrote the software to be
> distributed freely.
>
> They distribute this way on purpose. They *want* you to use their freeware.
>
> Just like you help me, for free, and just like I write up details to
> help others, for free. Just like I post pictures, for free. And, I write
> up the summary, for free.
>
> There's nothing wrong with that.
>
> In fact, there's almost nothing you need for casual home use that isn't
> already available, for free. Just ask the folks on alt.comp.freeware for
> details.

You missed my point. I understand why software (or whatever) might be
free but I questioned why it is often the main criteria.

George

On 5/4/2013 2:29 PM, Oren wrote:

>> My daughter designed university and industrial laboratory plans in
>> AutoCad. Seems to me a dip into the AutoCad universe might yield some
>> useful pathways.

> Congratulations. By the time I hit the AutoCAD learning curve, I
> could just as well use a drafting board, T-squares and some tools to
> design a pool pump system.

Well worth the investment even if you do casual stuff. Same thing with
say spreadsheets. Once you learn how easy it is to experiment and do
"what if" you will see what I mean.

My 78 year old neighbor took some Autocad courses at the local community
college last year and does some amazing stuff for his othger hobbies.

> I never plan to build a space ship using AutoCAD

George

On 5/5/2013 5:02 PM, isw wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On May 4, 7:27 pm, isw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Don't forget to factor in the cost of all the planning and design you'll
>>> be doing to "eliminate a connection or two". Spending a lot of
>>> time/money on that sort of design is only economical when the product
>>> will be replicated many times.

>>> Where can you buy plastic pipes in all sorts of "flexible curves", and
>>> joints at random angles to match?
>>>
>>> Isaac

>> You use flexible pipes rather than rigid ones that need all those
>> fittings.

> Which cost how much more? And are likely not as durable.

The problem is the OP only stated the main criteria is that software
must be free. They didn't state if this is a hobby and they are building
one of or a prototype that may be made many times in production. In the
first case cost of extra parts and manufacturability aren't even a concern.

> Isaac

Danny D

On Mon, 06 May 2013 07:39:52 -0400, George wrote:

> You missed my point. I understand why software (or whatever) might be
> free but I questioned why it is often the main criteria.

Oh, OK.

Well, I think KRW aptly answered that aspect of the question then.

Danny D

On Mon, 06 May 2013 07:48:16 -0400, George wrote:

> They didn't state if this is a hobby and they are building
> one of or a prototype that may be made many times in production.

My mistake.

It's a one-time pool plumbing repair by a homeowner who is
clearly inexperienced with pool plumbing yet who is very
experienced with freeware.

There is no absolute need for the software; and it would only
be used once (or perhaps a few times in a lifetime of typical
home repair projects).

The reason for alt.comp.freeware should be obvious as that's where
99% of the software comes from on my machine (all legitimate).

The reason for alt.home.repair should also be obvious as they
have the expertise to advise on plumbing particulars, tools,
methods, techniques, ideas, etc.

And, the reason for rec.photo.digital is, perhaps less obvious,
since that's mostly professionals; however some must be
cognizant of the freeware extant that converts JPEG photos
to 2D (and 3D) CAD drawings.

In fact, we've come up with multiple solutions, as we usually
do, which will do the job for the typical homeowner:
a) Inkscape (I used this to convert JPEG to vector DXF pencil drawing)
http://inkscape.org/download/
b) Trimble SketchUp (needs to run under Wine for Linux)
http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/download/index.html
c) Sourceforge Blender
http://www.blender.org/download
d) Dassault Draftsight