Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing forexperimentation

How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing forexperimentation

Oren

On Sat, 4 May 2013 11:15:23 -0700, "Frank S" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> In fact, were I to start over, I'd make the whole thing gentle
>>> flowing curves of bent pipe, instead of these sharp elbows.
>>>

>My daughter designed university and industrial laboratory plans in
>AutoCad. Seems to me a dip into the AutoCad universe might yield some
>useful pathways.

Congratulations. By the time I hit the AutoCAD learning curve, I
could just as well use a drafting board, T-squares and some tools to
design a pool pump system.

I never plan to build a space ship using AutoCAD

Tegger

harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On May 4, 6:33*am, Danny D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Given this conversion of the photo to either a pencil drawing or to
>> a vector diagram - what freeware would you use to experimentally
>> arrange pumps and plumbing to get an optimal fit?
>>

> I don't believe software exists that can do that.
> Maybe the reverse.
> This is one job for the human brain.

The OP is asking for quite a lot. He's basically asking for 3D-modeling
software that is capable of recognizing exactly what the photograph shows,
and drafting it so as to create an editable 3D scene. Wouldn't that be nice
if it existed!

Somebody mentioned Google SketchUp. That's about as close as the OP will
come to free 3D software. It's actually pretty good but, like all 3D
programs, requires that you enter the elements in by hand (or by brain,
mouse, and keyboard). However, once in, it's easy enough to push and pull
stuff around and get what you need. I've tried SketchUp, but since I
already use 3DSMax for work, it's not something I want to invest the time
to learn. A designer at one of our suppliers uses SketchUp as her 3D
program; she's learned it well enough to make some pretty nice 3D
renderings.

--
Tegger

Danny D

On Sat, 04 May 2013 08:08:37 -0700, Oren wrote:
> Would this help? Free for home and personal use.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp>
> "...includes 2D vector tools,"

Looks like Trimble SketchUp is the suggested raster-to-2D vector program
for small one-time home projects such as that which I contemplate.

Googling for a Linux version, I find the closest 1:1 replacement appears
to be the open-source Blender

Features:
http://www.blender.org/features-gallery

Download:
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender

I'll test this sequence out:
a. Snap a photograph (or screenshot from Google Maps Satellite View)
b. Convert to 2D vector diagram (with Inkscape or equivalent)
c. Read into 2D/3D CAD software (need to test with Blender)

I'll see what I can do to write up a tutorial for small homeowner
projects; and report back when/if successful.

Dick Alvarez

Oren wrote <<By the time I hit the AutoCAD learning
curve, I could just as well use a drafting board, T-
squares and some tools to design a pool pump system.

I never plan to build a space ship using AutoCAD >>

Life can be made easier in many ways, by investing in a
learning curve. I am thankful that I learned drafting the
old way, with drafting boards, T-squares, triangles,
protractors, etc., then drafting machines, and finally
life became *enormously* easier and neater and more
accurate with CAD. Same for many modern instruments and
machines. AutoCAD even helps me with photography. Sure,
it takes time to learn, and you never stop learning it.
But if you do much drafting at all, that learning pays
great dividends.

I suggest starting with AutoCAD LT. It can do
everything that a T-square and triangles and protractor
etc. can do, and it is much less expensive and easier to
learn. If you use it much at all, it will grow on you.

If the pool pump system is the *only* thing that you
ever will design, then probably best to stay with the
T-square etc. But if you want to go at all beyond that,
then go for AutoCAD LT.

[...]

harry

On May 4, 7:27*pm, isw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <km32bo$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *Danny D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > For example, every elbow costs in inefficiency, and every foot
> > of pipe costs the builder a dollar. Certainly if they can
> > eliminate a connection or two, it saves them double that.

> Don't forget to factor in the cost of all the planning and design you'll
> be doing to "eliminate a connection or two". Spending a lot of
> time/money on that sort of design is only economical when the product
> will be replicated many times.
>
> > In fact, were I to start over, I'd make the whole thing gentle
> > flowing curves of bent pipe, instead of these sharp elbows.

> Where can you buy plastic pipes in all sorts of "flexible curves", and
> joints at random angles to match?
>
> Isaac

You use flexible pipes rather than rigid ones that need all those
fittings.

Danny D

On Sat, 04 May 2013 19:07:33 -0500, troppo wrote:
> You mucking around with a pool pump, greywater filter,
> or does it all fit inside a boat?

Excellent post! Thank you very much!

BTW, my pumps, which are 8 feet below the pool, leak at the inlets, and
always have (about 500 gallons every few days) ... and they were put in
fitting-to-fitting so tightly that a damn professional must have done
it 'cuz they didn't waste an inch on extra piping!

I had to cut the fittings off just to unscrew them from the pumps (to
fix the leak); so, while the plumbing is off, I'm relocating the pumps
back a few feet in order to gain room, piping, & removable couplings!

> Problem ... potential lack of real dimensions.

True. I should have placed a ruler in the picture for dimensions!
They're all two inch pipes - but that isn't accurate for an OD.

> get the free copy of Dassault Systemes Draftsight.

Aha! Nice idea! I like that it works on Linux also!
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...ad-draftsight/

> Alternative solution? Use flexihose. Maybe use it anyway ...

So the four JPEG-to-CAD freeware programs suggested are:
1. Trimble SketchUp (not on Linux though)
http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/download/index.html
2. Blender (open source)
http://www.blender.org/download
3. Draftsight (free with a few minor strings)
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...ad-draftsight/
4. Flexihose

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the site for flexihose.
Is this it?
http://www.feihu-hose.com/download/d...1=31&class2=54

Danny D

On Sat, 04 May 2013 19:07:33 -0500, troppo wrote:
> Paste your image into Draftsight
> horizontal and/or vertical line is actually horizontal/
> trace over all the important lines
> Check some known dimensions
> Rescale the image and superimposed lines
> Bit of mucking around will be needed to create elevation view from plan
> view. I assume that like me you aren't skilled in 3D modelling,
> otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question

Thanks for providing the nucleus for a tutorial!
I'll save this for use when testing it out.

Danny D

On Sun, 05 May 2013 21:31:50 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

> Visual Cadd will allow you to
> import JPGs and then draw over the top of them on a different layer.

I had not thought of that method prior, but Inkscape freeware
(and I'm sure Trimble SketchUp, Blender, & Draftsight) can
import the picture so we can draw over the lines also.

This would create 3D objects in a layer on top of the line drawing.

Tommy

"Danny D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

Had a job finding a supplier in US
But hereyago