Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Gave the G1-X a low-level light test

Gave the G1-X a low-level light test

RichA

On May 4, 8:18*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/4/2013 4:28 PM, philo *wrote:
>

> > On 05/04/2013 03:15 PM, PeterN wrote:
> >> OX

> >> Yup! Even the D300.

> > The G1-X is sure nice...but I am not going to be selling off my 50D

> I constantly use my D800 at 1600 ISO. I had am image in the SI at 25,600
> with no NR applied.
> <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/148229151>
>
> --
> PeterN

Banding, banding!!!

RichA

On May 5, 1:09*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-05-04 18:47:52 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> I remember that shot and another taken at the same time. I suspected
> >> then as I do now, that shot is not a true representation of the
> >> capability of the D800 at ISO 1600. Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe
> >> that what we see as noise in your SI submission is a result of one of
> >> your many sharpening techniques and the resulting artifacts.
> >> I feel that my D300S would have been cleaner.
> >> I have no objection to grain, but what I see is over cooked sharpening,
> >> not high ISO noise or grain.

> >> This is another of those times I might enjoy seeing the NEF to see where
> >> it leads.

> > ISO was 25,600, not 1500. I am not certain how much sharpening I did on
> > that image. However, I will look for it as you requested. Right now I
> > am reading this during commercials while watching the Hanoi Hilton

> Here are two D300S shots at ISO 1600 in low light at Hearst Castle.
> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_6398-Ew.jpg>
> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_6407-E2w.jpg>
>
> ...and one at ISO 400 with synthesized grain added in a NIK Silver Efex
> 2 B&W conversion.
> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_3812Ase-Ew.jpg>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Reminds me a bit of pushed Pan-X.

PeterN

On 5/4/2013 10:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-04 18:47:52 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> I remember that shot and another taken at the same time. I suspected
>>> then as I do now, that shot is not a true representation of the
>>> capability of the D800 at ISO 1600. Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe
>>> that what we see as noise in your SI submission is a result of one of
>>> your many sharpening techniques and the resulting artifacts.
>>> I feel that my D300S would have been cleaner.
>>> I have no objection to grain, but what I see is over cooked sharpening,
>>> not high ISO noise or grain.
>>>
>>> This is another of those times I might enjoy seeing the NEF to see where
>>> it leads.
>>>

>> ISO was 25,600, not 1500. I am not certain how much sharpening I did
>> on that image. However, I will look for it as you requested. Right now
>> I am reading this during commercials while watching the Hanoi Hilton

> I don't want to spoil it for you, but they all get home, One gets the
> Medal of Honor and runs for Veep, another picks an airhead when he makes
> a run for the White House, Then he becomes a curmudgeon.

LOL
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Aquaduct_0284.NEF>

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 5/5/2013 12:11 AM, philo wrote:
> On 05/04/2013 07:18 PM, PeterN wrote:
>>

>>> The G1-X is sure nice...but I am not going to be selling off my 50D
>>>

>> I constantly use my D800 at 1600 ISO. I had am image in the SI at 25,600
>> with no NR applied.
>> <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/148229151>
>>

> That's the kind of shot I like!

Thank you.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 5/5/2013 1:09 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-04 18:47:52 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> I remember that shot and another taken at the same time. I suspected
>>> then as I do now, that shot is not a true representation of the
>>> capability of the D800 at ISO 1600. Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe
>>> that what we see as noise in your SI submission is a result of one of
>>> your many sharpening techniques and the resulting artifacts.
>>> I feel that my D300S would have been cleaner.
>>> I have no objection to grain, but what I see is over cooked sharpening,
>>> not high ISO noise or grain.
>>>
>>> This is another of those times I might enjoy seeing the NEF to see where
>>> it leads.
>>>

>> ISO was 25,600, not 1500. I am not certain how much sharpening I did
>> on that image. However, I will look for it as you requested. Right now
>> I am reading this during commercials while watching the Hanoi Hilton

> Here are two D300S shots at ISO 1600 in low light at Hearst Castle.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...NC_6398-Ew.jpg >

little grain, but for me, the HDR was almost cartoonish.

> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...C_6407-E2w.jpg >

So now we know where Hearst would sew up his stories

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 5/5/2013 8:37 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-05 15:10:52 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> I don't want to spoil it for you, but they all get home, One gets the
>>> Medal of Honor and runs for Veep, another picks an airhead when he makes
>>> a run for the White House, Then he becomes a curmudgeon.
>>>

>> LOL
>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Aquaduct_0284.NEF>

> OK!
> Thanks for letting me play!
>
> At ISO 25,600 that has an amazingly low noise content, but it is still
> waaay to high for my taste. I suspect you would have made a satisfactory
> capture in that light at ISO 6400.

The image would have looked very different. It needed the DOF and faster
shutter speed.

> Anyway I use NIK Define NR and then went to NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 for
> the B&W conversion.
> There I did not use a preset. I made some brightness and contrast
> adjustments, added a sight vignette.
> Then I went to work on grain, I dropped the per pixel grain density and
> softened it somewhat to get this result.
> Mine could do with some other tweaking to improve it, but that is my
> quick rendition.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...t_0284E-1w.jpg >
>
> ...and I still think you did something with sharpening which emphasized
> the high ISO noise in your final SI submission.

Probably, I liked the effect. As Tony Cooper often says: Horses for
courses. It would be a dull world if we all agreed on everything.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 5/5/2013 10:46 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-05 17:37:01 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

> <<< Le Snip >>>

>>> LOL
>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Aquaduct_0284.NEF>

>> OK!
>> Thanks for letting me play!
>>
>> At ISO 25,600 that has an amazingly low noise content, but it is still
>> waaay to high for my taste. I suspect you would have made a
>> satisfactory capture in that light at ISO 6400.
>>
>> Anyway I use NIK Define NR and then went to NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 for
>> the B&W conversion.
>> There I did not use a preset. I made some brightness and contrast
>> adjustments, added a sight vignette.
>> Then I went to work on grain, I dropped the per pixel grain density
>> and softened it somewhat to get this result.
>> Mine could do with some other tweaking to improve it, but that is my
>> quick rendition.
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...t_0284E-1w.jpg >
>>
>> ...and I still think you did something with sharpening which
>> emphasized the high ISO noise in your final SI submission.

> Here is version #2. I used the same crop as before, not quite the same
> as yours, but close enough.
> This time I made a slightly different, brightness, contrast, and
> vignette & grain adjustment. I also omitted the slight tone which I had
> added to #1.
> I think this one is slightly better, but you know what taste is like.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...t_0284E-2w.jpg >

Yup!
I may just put a higher res version in my CC competition this Thursday.
It won't do well, but will evoke comments.

--
PeterN